Does birth control cause weight gain?

Options
I'm going to be starting either "the pill" or "the progesterone only pill" soon. Should I expect any weight gain from either and would the gain be due to;
A. An increased appetite/more eating
B. Water retention
C. physiological/hormone internal changes make body hold onto fat

Thanks!

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Years ago my wife was on the pill. She didn't gain weight when she started taking it, but when she went off it, she damn near disappeared.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My doc says no, but I beg to differ. I was getting the depo shot and gained about 20 lbs.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I know I gained while on it. :grumble:
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill and it hasn't caused any halt to my weight loss. There was one which made my blood pressure sky rocket, so watch your blood pressure even if you aren't having any symptoms.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It depends on which one. Do some research before you meet with your doctor, and ask you doctor to give you one that doesn't have weight gain as a side effect. For example, the Nuvaring does not. But find the one that's right for you.
  • sara4cos
    Options
    You may or may not gain weight but it will make it harder to lose weight
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never gained weight from birth control, other than about 5lbs of water at the beginning that quickly came off.

Why don't you google the possible side effects of the specific pill you will be taking or have a chat with your doctor?

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    My doctor says the type of progesterone in the pill can increase appetite. I lost weight with Yaz / Yasmin.
  • auntjemimi
    Options
    When I started my birth control a couple months ago, i gained somewhere between 5-10 lbs. I think everyone is different though because I've had friends who say they've had no weight gain.
  • LuvnSnownSun
    Options
    I was getting the depo shot. Each shot = 10lbs. I didn't ahve any noticable differnce with the pill, other than I would forget to take it. I go with the IUD, its not a memory issue, its not chemical, and its good for years with no negative after effects if you decide to get rid of it early.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Doc told me before that you could gain when first starting, due to water retention.
    I personally didn't find it too bad, but it may have slowed me down for a week or two...

No sense worrying about though, just stick with what you are doing and watch the pounds melt away... ;)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I think it is a myth. sort of.

you can control what you put in your mouth, maybe not the cravings. If you are worried just be sure to be extra cautious of what you are eating :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You should be able to look up the side effects noted for each type of pill online. I gained with some and had no issues with others.
  • Kimmy546
    Kimmy546 Posts: 102
    Options
    When I was on the Depo shot I gained a little weight, but mostly noticed my hair was thinning... no woman wants that. I currently take the Loestrin. It's very low dose bc pill and no side effects for me anyways. I love it and haven't been happier with a bc pill. Did the depo for years, IUD and now this... All women should try it. :)
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know it causes less weight gain than pregnancy :)
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES EXPECT LIKE A GOOD 10-15 POUNDS
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Sprintec. It is known for causing weight gain. Wish I had known before I started taking it, I gained 40 pounds in the 5 months I was on it!... Still working that off.... It was definitely due to increased appetite. I was STARVING ALL the time!... I also hadn't started my weight loss journey at that point.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I started the mini-pill (aka progesterone only, brand name Jolivette) this year and have had no problems. Everyone's different so you sort of have to wait and see how it'll effect you physically and emotionally. I've been on the same pill brand as other friends before and we all had different reactions.
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    I say no from my experience... But some ppl change their lifestyle once on the pill, like being together in long term relationship lol.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Mine has not. I've lost about 15lbs since I started it 2 months ago. I'm on Lo Lo Estrine. So far, I love it.