Low Sodium Prepackaged Meals

Options
So once or twice a week, I like just bringing your basic Lean Cuisine type of entree for a quick lunch. It's convenient, and at about 300 calories or so, I can have it with fruit, milk, whatever, get a good basic meal.

However, if you've ever read the packages for most of these, the sodium content will put the fear of God into you: easily 20% of your daily allowance. Even if you go to "organic" frozen meals and the like, there's still a ton of sodium in there. Frankly, I can't think of one that's less than 20% of the daily allowance.

So my question is: has anyone discovered such a creature as a low-sodium prepackaged meal?

I know I will get advice to fix my own meals from fresh vegetables, fruits, lean protein sources, and so on. I will also get advice that these prepackaged meals are Satanic, and must be avoided at all costs. Let me just say in advance that I appreciate those thoughts and recognize what's behind them, but I'm not really looking for a debate about prepackaged meals. Or sodium, for that matter. I know it's preferable to eat whole foods, with the least amount of processing possible, and I generally do well on that front. I'm simply saying that the occasional prepackaged entree sometimes makes sense for convenience.

If someone knows of a particular brand or specific entree that's pretty sodium friendly, I'd love to hear about it.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... sometimes pre-cooked/pre-packaged is the best I can do, but sodium is through the roof. It's that way with deli cold cuts too much of the time.

Following along because I'd like some other options as well.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    do not exist, lol.. I want to know, too!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Amy's has a "light in sodium" line.

http://www.amys.com/health/special-diets/sodium
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    You can actually go into the database on MFP and search "Amys light in sodium" and will find the meals entered. They range anywhere from 190mg to 390mg on the high end. The majority are 290-340mg per serving. Also, if you haven't had Amy's before, they are actually pretty good. At least I think so... :smile:
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I, too will have to check into the low sodium line Amy has. I heard the sodium is a preservative in the foods.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've never seen low sodium prepackaged foods. The sodium is used to preserve the foods to keep them from spoiling quickly in those meals. So chances are, they may never exist. I have been able to find low sodium Tuna recently though, so maybe i'm wrong.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    +1 for cherryObebe! I've bought "regular" Amy's entrees in my local grocery stores, but I didn't realize they had a low sodium line. Like wutamonkey and niknak0508, I've pretty much assumed low-sodium prepackaged entrees were mythical beasts like Sasquatch.

But hey, ask a question and get an answer. Haven't seen the low-sodium Amy's line in the store, but I bet I can ask my trusty neighborhood grocer to order some if I promise to buy a few thousand.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's that way with deli cold cuts too much of the time.

And I happen to be a big fan of deli cold cuts from time to time, as well. Sara Lee makes some different varieties of low-sodium sliced turkey breast I've seen some grocery delis carry, and I like it.