Help me reduce sodium?

Options
I never realized how much sodium I was taking in. I have tracked my cals/fat and cholesterol for years...but sodium wasn't anything I was ever worried about. Now I am...but I am having a very hard time keeping it below 2500!! I didn't realize that spinach had sodium in it!!

What are tips to cut back? I realize the obvious...I LOVE soup so I am going to have to figure out how to cut the sodium there (less broth, more water)...but what about in other ways? My string cheese from this morning had 200mg!!
Help?

Replies

• kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I wish I could help... I often have the same problem. I don't fret over it too much knowing that it is easy to lose that little bit of water weight it makes you retain...but it does get under my skin some days.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    From what I understand you can counteract it by eating things high in potassium such as OJ and bananas. Reducing... that's a good question and I'd like to know as well.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i have the same issues. try making a healthy veggie stock.. lots of flavor.. less sodium
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well I barely go over on sodium... I just cut back on butter, and sauces, soups with lots of sodium, I don't buy prepackaged foods, I cook from scratch.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    The best way is to reduce the amount of packaged and processed foods that you're eating. Substitute with more veggies and some fruits, grill your own chicken instead of buying lunch meat, etc.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    edamame is also very high in potassium and goes straight with string cheese :)
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Eat less from a box, more from the earth. The sodium in spinach is negligible compared to the sodium content of a piece of lunch meat. I usually don't have a problem with sodium. You can check out my diary to see the sorts of things I eat if you'd like. I'm by no means perfect and I sometimes like to have fast food, but I have more good days than bad. :)
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I buy no salt butter and low sodium soups and anything I can that has lower sodium (soy sauce). Stay away from prepackaged meals/frozen dinners as they generally contain a lot of sodium. If I am making a recipe that calls for salt, I usually try to only put in 1/2 of the amount called for - especially since my daughter is going to add more salt on her plate no matter how much I put in.

Mexican and chinese food (from restaurants) also tend to have a lot of sodium. I had way too many tortilla chips last night and went over on my sodium. Trying to drink lots of water today.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I never realized how much sodium I was taking in. I have tracked my cals/fat and cholesterol for years...but sodium wasn't anything I was ever worried about. Now I am...but I am having a very hard time keeping it below 2500!! I didn't realize that spinach had sodium in it!!

What are tips to cut back? I realize the obvious...I LOVE soup so I am going to have to figure out how to cut the sodium there (less broth, more water)...but what about in other ways? My string cheese from this morning had 200mg!!
    Help?
    You need to cut out processed/packaged food, takeaways and any salt you add to food. I always have a low count, so it should work for you too.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    They do make a lower sodium broth. Sodium is in everything! Check out the breads you eat! You just have to read everything and make as much as you can at home. I am right now trying to get rid of water retention from last week. I purposely loaded up on sodium because we were hunting the weekend in high heat. I have had heat stroke twice and I wanted to prevent it again. Well, it worked:bigsmile: Now I have 2 lbs of excess water in my body.:noway: I am drinking like a fish today in hopes of getting it off. Good luck lady
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have to watch our sodium, so I cut out added salt a few years back. But it really sneaks up on you, doesn't it? We buy low sodium/no salt added whenever possible for things like stocks, broths, canned veggies, canned tomatoes, etc. We also use Mrs. Dash. Other than that, you just have to read the labels. Anything frozen is high in sodium. Most lunch meats are also high in sodium.
  • bakanekonei
    Options
    I do the same as Fairysoul said, cooking from scratch makes a big difference. And if you can stop adding salt to things, do it. Our bodies need salt but we get plenty for the everyday things we eat. Dairy like milk and cheese can have plenty of sodium, and things like frrozen veggies and meats can have salt added as well. Paying attention to labels as you shop can really make a big impact overall.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Best thing to do is cook more things on your own, rather than buying pre-packaged items.
    Almost everything has salt in it.... just try to keep it under balance.
    I have no problem staying under, as long as I am not eating out...

Can't see your diary, so I can't take a closer look...
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The best way is to reduce the amount of packaged and processed foods that you're eating. Substitute with more veggies and some fruits, grill your own chicken instead of buying lunch meat, etc.

Read the label on the chicken. They are now injecting it with a sodium solution of up to 15% sodium:angry:
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    After the initial shock of finding where sodium hides reality kicks in big time. I have been watching my sodium for some time. I have high blood pressure and although MFP stated 2500mg he suggested 1500mg for me. So the challenge was really on from there on end. The key for me was to learn where the sodium was, then to figure out what to do about it. Thank goodness I enjoying cooking cus that was where I lowered it the most. Home-made spagetti sauces from scratch, No salt replacement for salt, Mrs. Dash for flovoring, no salt to cook expect I like salt on corn on the cob. Hey we all need to make exceptions after all. I love rice cakes with peanut butter so I got the unsalted rice cakes cus there is salt in peanut butter already. You stated you liked soup, if you enjoy cooking home made soup is so much heathier and you can control the salt intake in it. Make large amounts and freeze the rest for quick lunches and dinners. Hope this helps!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I am of the firm belief that unless you are prone to high blood pressure, there is no reason to cut sodium. The demonization of sodium is a public health error caused by radical extrapolation of the data. Remember cutting out butter and using (transfat-laden) margarine? The low-fat craze that turned us into carb addicts?
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a long time! I was eating canned veggies instead of fresh or frozen. Once I stopped eating them I was loosing weight more. I dont use butter, I use spray butter which still has sodium in it but not as much. Try getting light things or less sodium. Another thing that I never thought about was peanut butter. I am not sure if you eat that but I now buy Jif natural peanut butter less sodium. I will eat that a couple times a day. I still salt some of my food but not much. Just a dash. One thing I eat a lot of is canned tuna fish which has a ton of sodium in it. I dont go over my sodium intake nearly as much as I was.. I used to go over everyday. Now maybe twice a week I go over. I drink at least 9 cups of water a day which will also help flush your system of a lot of things not just salt. My diary is open so feel free to take a look at it if you want. If there is any other way I can help you send me an email. :) Hope this helps a little at least.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I am no help. I have been told to increase mine by the doc as I'm dangerously low.

But to give you an idea of what I do that might cause me to be low.

I do not cook with salt. - not at all. If you want you mashed potatos, eggs, whatever salted its what the salt shaker is for. - if the recipe calls for it... i usually just leave it out - there's not typically a signifcant difference in the taste
    I dont put salt on my food either - personal prefernce - i dont think most things I make need salt - they're tasty the way they are.
    I drink a ton of water a day.
    I live in the desert and work outside on my yard and cars when possible - no matter if its 115 or or 70, which means I sweat a lot.

So maybe that can help. The other suggestions are good as well.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have been rinsing my canned beans before using them in recipes (I read an article that this reduces the sodium of the beans by 35 to 40%, so I get the reduced sodium beans and rinse those).

I get salad dressings with very low sodium (I shoot for around 200 or less per serving, and typically get a vinaigrette so I can use 1/2 serving and a little vinegar mixed together to nicely flavor my salad).

I have stopped eating canned vegetables for the most part-very high sodium. I go for frozen or fresh. Fresh spinach is AMAZING without adding any salt to it. It has a little sodium, but not too bad.

Watch our for your TORTILLAS if you eat them!! Many varieties have 500 mg or so just for a SMALL (soft taco size) tortilla! That is CRAZY! You can get Xtreme wellness tortillas (they're fajita sized) with 220 mg sodium. They're whole grain, low carb, high fiber, and REALLY delicious tortillas.

Watch cottage cheese. It's good, but man alive. It's loaded! Breakstone's has a new reduced sodium variety. Tastes a little different, but really good with fruit and in smoothies/shakes.

They have reduced sodium cheeses. I buy them at the deli counter (Boar's head makes a really good reduced sodium provolone, and an even better reduced sodium Havarti). If you get a thick slice-say 1/2 inch, you can then cut them into the size of a stick, and you've got a reduced sodium cheese stick (granted, not mozzarella if you get provolone or Havarti).

I discard the majority of the broth in canned soups (I've mostly given up canned soups). I make my soups at home, and I use lots of seasonings, reduced sodium broth, and add no salt.

I have REMOVED all salt shakers from my house. They are a no-no. No salt at the table. I use a teeny bit while cooking, and that's it...

I also buy canned tomatoes with no added salt for using in soups, etc. and to make pasta sauces with.

*as for chicken, I look at the labels and compare the amount of sodium in them. I always buy the one with the lowest amount of sodium.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Anything processed has high sodium. Natural foods are your best bet. I rarely go over 1500 mg. I try to practice clean eating as best I can. I just read an article recently that stated the sodium in processed foods actually has some kind of chemical reaction that increases the appetite. Another good reason to back off of sodium and processed foods.