Why do peole lose more with Phentermine and drugs??

Options
Okay so I am not on Phentermine. I have tried it a few times BUT I feel like crud when on it so I just don't take it...
HOWEVER I have a few friends who are on it so this is my question

How come my similar female friends are losing weight faster when we both do the SAME AMOUNT of workouts AND eat the same calories??

I thought the point of Phentermine is to reduce hunger? But if we are both basically doing the same thing how come they are losing faster with the phentermine factored in???

Hopefully someone can help me out because it's not fair

Replies

• msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awe hon--life is not fair. Every person is different. So you might see the exact same difference, drugs or not.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    so you don't know?? LOL
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Phentermine can speed up the metabolism.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Because they're jittery and moving around more. Cleaning, pacing the floor, getting up and down, walking back and forth to the bathroom from all that water they have to drink so their teeth don't fall out, etc.
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    totally off subject but i keep seeing this pic ...everytime i see that "dont shop adopt" pic i want to cry because of that dogs paw reaching out. dog looks like it could be a pitbull terrier and it makes me wanna go home and cuddle my pitty boo
  • puggleperson
    Options
    Because they're jittery and moving around more. Cleaning, pacing the floor, getting up and down, walking back and forth to the bathroom from all that water they have to drink so their teeth don't fall out, etc.

I love it!!! Soo funny!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    your both eating the same amount of calories but what about the other nutritional content, like carbs, sugar and protein? also fiber... it's NOT all about calories in calories out
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    From Wikipedia...

Phentermine works on the hypothalamus portion of the brain to stimulate the adrenal glands to release norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter or chemical messenger that signals a fight-or-flight response, reducing hunger. Phentermine works outside the brain as well to release epinephrine or adrenaline causing fat cells to break down stored fat, but the principal basis of efficacy is hunger-reduction. At clinically relevant doses, phentermine also releases serotonin and dopamine, but to a much lesser extent than that of norepinephrine.

It's a kind of stimulant.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

Never had this problem with Phen. ...
  • puggleperson
    Options
    totally off subject but i keep seeing this pic ...everytime i see that "dont shop adopt" pic i want to cry because of that dogs paw reaching out. dog looks like it could be a pitbull terrier and it makes me wanna go home and cuddle my pitty boo

I know, I love my picture too and it also makes me sad but just knowing that it might help spread the word makes me very happy!! We are their voice and its so important that it's heard :)

Thank you!!

Please don't buy when shelter animals die :/
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Never had this problem with Phen. ...

I took half a pill 3 days in a row once and I did....so did my sister who took it for 3 months, then started having chest pains and trouble breathing so she had to get off it.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Okay so I am not on Phentermine. I have tried it a few times BUT I feel like crud when on it so I just don't take it...
    HOWEVER I have a few friends who are on it so this is my question

How come my similar female friends are losing weight faster when we both do the SAME AMOUNT of workouts AND eat the same calories??

I thought the point of Phentermine is to reduce hunger? But if we are both basically doing the same thing how come they are losing faster with the phentermine factored in???

Hopefully someone can help me out because it's not fair

Wow lots of pharmacy questions here. Pharmacy major here.

Phentermine works primarily as an appetite suppressant. It works on the hypothalamus in the brain to trigger the release of norepinephine, which is key in the fight or flight response. Part of this response is decreased appetite.

Metabolism is an extremely variable thing. Its based of genetics, your history, daily habits, exercise, diet, water intake, enviornment, and many many many more factors. Another one is are you on the same type of medications (not including phentermine) as your friends? This can be another factor.

In case anyone says different btw, there are only three drugs in the world that are proven to cause weight loss without any change in lifestyle:

1. Heroin
    2. Cocaine
    3. Amphetamines such as Methamphetamine and Ectasy

I dont recommend any of the above.

BUT in the end, with consistant diet and exercise, you will lose weight. Dont worry. You cant really compare what others are doing to your own weight loss. The only time really that could possibly be fair is if you were comparing to an identical twin, who has eaten the exact same things, done the exact same things, as you your entire life
  • puggleperson
    Options
    Thank you very much Ben and lawtechie for the useful information...

Ben are you sure you don't reccomed those three??? hahah yeah right *SCARY*
  • maggiem49
    Options
    Do you need a prescription for Phentermine?
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine and dropped 75 lbs in about 9 months. It supressed my appetite BIG time and i never excercised - no surprise after i stopped taking it - ALL the weight came back very quickly. I didnt learn the proper way of life regarding what to eat, portion and calorie control, and excercise. I have been on MFP since May and lost 50 lbs so far the RIGHT way - which will hopefully carry me and my children through the rest of our lives. So be proud of what your doing and know that it is the healthiest way you could be doing it.