Going Vegetarian?

Options
I'm thinking about going vegetarian or vegan, at least for a trial period, for no other purposes than 1) to try it, 2) for health, and 3) for weight loss. How hard is it to change? Are there nutritional substitutes that need to be made? Thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have a husband and two kids, and I won't be assuming they will be making the change as well. This is for me only.

Replies

• MintyAngie
    MintyAngie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i turned veg too to help boost my weightloss. it was not hard at all. well i always did enjoy vegetables and pulses. so i eat a lot of those and lots of salads! if u crave for meat, u get the vegetarian meats available in supermarkets which are soya or mushroom based. u cook it the same way as you would for meat and it's as tasty too. so slowly u stop craving as well. i enjoy cooking my veg meals, trying out new recipes and so far... it's great decision i made!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to go vegan. However going vegan has nothing to do with weight loss.

You can eat nothing but vegetables, no meats, etc., go over your TDEE and get fat.

Edit: Also you can eat meat and be healthy at the same time.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I would go vegetarian first, being vegan is very involved. There are lots of meat substitutes, Quorn and morningstar being my favorite brands. Just eat a well balanced diet and make sure you are getting your protein. The meatless products have protein as well as many other natural foods. You can take a multivitamin if you want but it isn't necessary, if you eat a well balanced diet you will get all the nutrients you need.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to go vegan. However going vegan has nothing to do with weight loss.

You can eat nothing but vegetables, no meats, etc., go over your TDEE and get fat.

I am a shining example of this! Vegans can pack in on - FAST.

It can be done, though! Good luck!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Go vegetarian first. Vegan will REALLY limit your diet.

I did a vegetarian stint for 6 weeks a few years ago, but resumed my carnivorous habits. During any given week, I would say that at least half of my meals are vegetarian. However I do still eat "flesh:" primarily poultry and seafood with a bit of pork thrown in here and there. I rarely eat beef anymore though.

However, it won't necessarily help with weight loss. A poor choice foodwise, is still a poor choice, regardless of the "label" attached to it. There are plenty of vegetarian and even vegan foods out there that aren't particularly healthy or good for your waistline.
  • lisamac878
    lisamac878 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I have gone my own version of vegan and I like it. I cut out all meats and dairies except fish. I started a week ago after watching a very informative documentary and I have already lost 2 lbs. I have more energy, my skin is clear (even though I'm about to start my period!) and even this is all while still going over my total calories for the day! I love it and I don't think I will reverse. It was challenging when I went out to eat but other than that, it's been fairly easy. And I haven't forced my family to do it but I have slipped in healthier stuff into their meals and they haven't noticed :) As for nutritional needs, the documentary says plant based foods feed your muscles the protein they need better since the body digests it better and it's very hard for your body to digest animal based meats. Even eggs. That's why you stay full for so long after eating meat because it takes your body forever to digest it and then you hardly get what you need out of it.

Good Luck!!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i've just started that route!!!! i've done it before for a month just to see if i could last year, and its EASY......i dont eat meat really, rarely chicken when i do or turkey but i dont miss meat at all. I may try vegan in the future but right now, i'm doing vegetarian and going to start to ween off as many animal by products as i can.

i'm on the same path as you though...health, lose weight and just feel bad for the way the animals are treated. i felt great when i did it for that month, i had more energy, felt less bloated, lost weight and just felt great. i love to cook so finding new ways avoiding meat and animal products isnt hard at all, now there are SO MANY options out there and lots you can order off the internet. i'm excited to start this journey and its going to be a delicious one!!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to try. I think everyone should try stuff (including IF, carb cycling, etc.) to see if it fits for you, see how your body responds. Your first two reasons are fine. #3 is a misnomer, as others have already stated. For some people it may be easier to manage calories vegetarian. For others, that might be an excuse to shovel cheese into your facehole until your feel like the Michelin man. I've done both.

I don't eat meat because my body seems to have a hard time processing it. I wish it was for other reasons so I could take the higher moral ground and look down my nose at people. But the truth is, meat make tummy hurt. I am not half the man the Nuge is.

Experiment. See what fits. Listen to your body. Just be healthy. Make healthy FOOD choices. And when you're trying stuff, give it time for your body to adjust. Unless you are getting sick, I'd try each new thing for at least a month to get a good idea of how your body is reacting.
  • andreaeszter
    Options
    I think it's a good idea. I switched to 97% vegan six weeks ago and haven't had problems. I feel healthy and calm, more focused and happy than before. Vitamin B12 is an issue, which I get from Flaxmilk or supplements once in a while. I eat a whole foods plant-based diet of soups, salads, sandwiches, whole grain pasta, nuts and fruits. My family eats mostly the same except when we eat out. We have eaten out less and have fewer choices of restaurants. We have had to shop for groceries more frequently, which is the biggest downside I can see. Good luck with the change. I hope you enjoy it. I recommend watching Forks Over Knives, which is available on Netflix.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Good luck. That's my advice. I made it 2 weeks as a vegetarian once, I was vegan for a whole day once. I learned that I, personally, NEED MEAT! I am not a very happy girl without it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea. I switched to 97% vegan six weeks ago and haven't had problems.

What exactly is 97% vegan?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My current diet is similar to vegetarian, but I do include fish because it's so healthy as long as it is not fried and does not have a sugary glaze. I don't eat other meats or dairy.

Here's what I eat/don't eat:

I Eat:
    As many veggies as I want either fresh or cooked in olive oil
    Beans and lentils - Lots of them
    Nuts that do not contain hydrogenated oils or a lot of salt
    Fish that is baked or cooked in olive oil, no glazes, herbal rubs are okay
    Sometimes I cheat and use canned salmon or tuna on top of my salads

I Don't Eat:
    Anything that comes out of a package or bottle (except canned fish and EVO)
    Wheat products
    Dairy
    Anything fried
    White potatoes

It can be hard, but I find it easy as long as you plan appropriately. There are tons of recipes out there, but I know some vegetarians that have big guts because they still eat bad. Avoid starchy carbs like breads and pastas and make plenty of dishes that have loads of veggies without cheeses or cream. I make lentil soup that is chock full of veggies and the lentils really fill me up. The whole thing is completely natural. I love making a big plate of greens and veggies and topping it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar so the dressing is healthy and not fatty (EVO has good fats, not bad fats). I eat sweet potatoes because they are very filling. Baked sweet potatoe fries are so yummy.

I also have a juicer and juice all the time. I notice that when I juice a lot of veggies I loose the bloatedness and I feel slimmer.

I just started doing this over the weekend, but I have done it before in the past and I lost a lot of weight very quickly. It's kinda like a raw food detox because everything is natural. Over time I will slowly add lean cuts of beef back into my diet and small amounts of egg and dairy.

It can take getting used to so give it plenty of time. If you're vigilant it works!! I love this diet!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Oh, Also I eat a lot of fruit but more veggies than fruit because of the sugar content of the fruit. It's not bad sugar though. GOOD LUCK!!!
    My current diet is similar to vegetarian, but I do include fish because it's so healthy as long as it is not fried and does not have a sugary glaze. I don't eat other meats or dairy.

Here's what I eat/don't eat:

I Eat:
    As many veggies as I want either fresh or cooked in olive oil
    Beans and lentils - Lots of them
    Nuts that do not contain hydrogenated oils or a lot of salt
    Fish that is baked or cooked in olive oil, no glazes, herbal rubs are okay
    Sometimes I cheat and use canned salmon or tuna on top of my salads

I Don't Eat:
    Anything that comes out of a package or bottle (except canned fish and EVO)
    Wheat products
    Dairy
    Anything fried
    White potatoes

It can be hard, but I find it easy as long as you plan appropriately. There are tons of recipes out there, but I know some vegetarians that have big guts because they still eat bad. Avoid starchy carbs like breads and pastas and make plenty of dishes that have loads of veggies without cheeses or cream. I make lentil soup that is chock full of veggies and the lentils really fill me up. The whole thing is completely natural. I love making a big plate of greens and veggies and topping it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar so the dressing is healthy and not fatty (EVO has good fats, not bad fats). I eat sweet potatoes because they are very filling. Baked sweet potatoe fries are so yummy.

I also have a juicer and juice all the time. I notice that when I juice a lot of veggies I loose the bloatedness and I feel slimmer.

I just started doing this over the weekend, but I have done it before in the past and I lost a lot of weight very quickly. It's kinda like a raw food detox because everything is natural. Over time I will slowly add lean cuts of beef back into my diet and small amounts of egg and dairy.

It can take getting used to so give it plenty of time. If you're vigilant it works!! I love this diet!
  • beckykaz
    beckykaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better on a (mostly/ 95%) vegan diet. At first I felt like I had less energy as I got used to eating the right foods, but after a few days I feel like I have more energy.

I think the key is being on a 'plant-based diet' - not just vegetarian or vegan, because like others have said there is still alot of vegan junk food out there. (I know - I keep my eye out for it. Like Late July Dark Chocolate cookies which are delish.)

Anyone worried about B12 deficency-- husband uses and sells a great B vitamin supplement that helps for those of us eating mostly vegan/vegetarian. www.21Ten.com/sbk - if you are interested in checking it out.

Check out Forks over Knives, Food Matters, Food Inc, and other documentarys as they show you the value of eating whole, plant-based foods over processed foods.

Good luck!
  • templeofgod
    Options
    My 12 yr old daughter and I have been vegan for 2 years. I love it and would never go back. At fist you might want to slowly transition into it but I would definitely eliminate dairy first. You can do a couple of meatless days and see how you feel. I went right into it when I transitioned and felt really horrible for a week since my body was detoxing. It doesn't happen to everyone but just be aware that it may happen depending on your current diet.

As many have commented there are many vegan food items that are not healthy. So I would suggest eliminating a lot of processed vegan foods and meat alternatives. Also eliminate refined sugars and use things like applesauce and veggie broth to cook your food instead. Stick to food in it's natural form such as fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, lugumes, nuts and seeds.

I initially did not take any supplements when I first went vegan. I actually ran my first 1/2 marathon without taking any supplements. I now take a multivitamin and BCAA's due to my current fitness goals. I have lost 30 lbs since becoming vegan but you can also get fat being vegan if you eat vegan junk food. So do your research and watch your calories. Most importantly watch where your calories are coming from.

Good luck. It is definitely a journey worth traveling. :) Let me know if you need any recipes or recommendations. I have blogged my journey if you would like to check it out let me know. :) I post a daily food log.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was mostly vegan for a few years. I say "mostly" because the majority of the time I tried to follow a macrobiotic diet, which discourages eating meat. I could happily go weeks eating this way, but every now and then I craved a burger or baby back ribs and so I'd eat them. I eat meat much more often since I got married. I could never quite convince myself to give up meat all together, though.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i haven't eaten meat in 17 years. I was vegan for 11 and am currently eating vegan again (I say "eating vegan" because I"m not committing to "being vegan" right now).

Vegetarianism ought to be a pretty simple thing to do. But maybe that's because I've done it so long. Initially you might want to use meat substitutes (boca burgers are good, morningstar bacon, gimme lean sausage is good). But as you adjust you might want to move away from the fake meats as they are often made out of primarily gluten which just can't be good for anybody.

Explore other types of food. Thai food (Pad Thai, veggie spring rolls, Tom Kah). Chinese food (Veggie Fried Rice, veggei dumplings). Indian food (saag, channa masala, dal). Ethiopian food (gomen, misser wot, etc). Japanese food (miso soup, califonia rolls). Mexican food (bean tamales, bean enchiladas, bean and rice burritos). Italian food (pasta primavera, mushroom ravioli). Greek food (falafel, tabouleh, cous cous, hummous, baba ganoush). African food (african peanut yam stew is to die for!). Brazilian food (brazilian "fish" stew use tofu instead of fish!) You can still eat eggs and cheese so that leaves a lot open to you.

I'm currently eating gluten free vegan and I'm shooting for over 30% of my cals to be protein. It's a challenge. I'm using GNC protein powder smoothies, quinoa (a high protein low cal grain), and tempeh (a fermented type of tofu) to get that protein in. I'm also eating saag (Indian spinach and mustard greens with spices) to get my greens. I take vitamins as well.

You can totally pull of a healthy vegetarian/vegan diet. Just don't turn to bagels for every meal cuz that's how I got fat! hahaha!

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

710859.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about going vegetarian or vegan, at least for a trial period, for no other purposes than 1) to try it, 2) for health, and 3) for weight loss. How hard is it to change? Are there nutritional substitutes that need to be made? Thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have a husband and two kids, and I won't be assuming they will be making the change as well. This is for me only.

I'd love to go vegetarian to, mostly because I presume I'd get a lot more vitamins in my system and I find it sickly when I eat to much meat (especially if you're at a restaurant). Anyway, a friend of mine informed me of some scary news recently and this friend ended up with hypothyroidism so you should keep this in mind if you do:

Why Soy is dangerous:
    http://www.aquarianonline.com/Wellness/soy.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10763906?dopt=Abstract
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx
  • lrnpage
    lrnpage Posts: 27
    Options
    personally i have loved going vegan, i do miss cheese but there are substitues that you can buy :) also, don't listen to people about why soy is bad, because you would have to be eating a hell of a lot of soys for this to be true, it's the same with everything, in moderation, but in saying that, you'd be in a lot more danger eating the amount of meat compared to soya for this to make a difference. soy is increidbly good for you and it's your main source of protien as a vegan or even vegetarian sometimes.

don't worry if you slip up, because everyone does you just gotta shop around and try different things out in terms of sustitues or do it the old fashioned way with wholegrains, veggies, tofu and other non processed foods. :)
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with transitioning to Vegetarian eating first. That would make it much easier. Also, just like others said, eating Vegetarian or Vegan doesn't make it necessarily healthy.

I gained a bunch after I started going Vegetarian. Mostly because I had a lot of cheesy dinners. Vegetable/Cream sauces were my down fall.

Anyway, I went healthy vegan following Dr. Neil Barnards's cookbook (The Get Healthy Go Vegan Cookbook) and ideas and lost a bunch of weight that way. Unfortunately, I went back to my unhealthy vegetarian style of eating and gained almost everything back. Now I am trying it again and hope to make it stick for good.

The key is (in my case) to exclude any added oils and sugars. I am usually over on carbs and fiber but feel really great. Also important is to eat very balanced, so I make sure to balance legumes, fruits, vegetables, and grain through out the day. The book actually recommends to have each meal balanced but if I did that I would get too many calories but I catch up with snacks usually.

Following the cookbook for a while, I was able to get into the habit of cooking and eating right and even converting some of my previous recipes to healthy vegan style.

Good Luck!