Help! Feel like quitting :(

Options
13»

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What happens if you quit now? You give up on eating healthier and exercising and the weight starts to go up every year? Where will you be then?

Perhaps the part you should quit is weighing yourself. Get a measuring tape and see where you are now, track your calories and exercise for a month and then tape yourself again. THEN get on the scale. I bet after a month of exercise and healthier eating you will see both movement on the tape and the scale. If you don't, then try increasing your exercise a little bit, and try again in the next month.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can relate. The first week on here I gained 2 pounds so I gave a hard look at my food diary. I had forgotten to add things like my coffee that I use cream and sugar plus the olive oil to cook the eggs. Anyway, I was very discouraged but I decided to give it a couple of weeks and I lost the 2 gained plus 5 so I am glad I stayed.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can give up and stay the way you are (or potentially gain) or you can stick with a healthier lifestyle and eventually get where you want to be. It doesn't matter if it takes 2 months, 6 months, or a year....at least you get where you want to be.

Those of use who have lost initial weight quickly did so because we have a heck of lot more to lose than you do. Your current weight is well below my goal weight. 10 lbs is only a couple of percent loss from my current weight while 10 lbs is 15 percent of your body. Just be patient.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Don't let this get to you - I lost 3lbs a few weeks ago, had a brilliant week the next week, but gained that 3lbs back - don't ask me how, it just happened!

The secret is to not let it get you down - just keep trying and you'll get there in the end!
  • cori314
    cori314 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing in a failure who keeps trying. Coasting to the bottom is the only disgrace. - Blues Traveler
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Hi! I struggle with the same problem. I'll lose some weight, gain it back, and it never seems to budge again. But the only way to make a real difference is to keep going. Think of it like this: if you give up, then there really isn't any way that you're going to succeed. Only you can make the effort. Even though it's hard, if you keep on going with your healthy eating, you have a wayyyy better chance of seeing results. Remember that something is ALWAYS better than nothing. Also, maybe consider upping your activity a little bit. One suggestion i have would be to take some time during your work or school day to take a walk, even if it's for 10 minutes on a break, take either a brisk walk or even a leisurely one if that's what you can handle right now. I've been doing that on my 15 minute breaks and it makes me feel like i am at least giving myself a better chance! you'll feel energized too. I hope this helps and remember too that you're worth it! keep up the good work- your body will catch up :flowerforyou:
  • Mlehew
    Mlehew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't you dare quit. You're a beautiful young lady with your entire life ahead of you. The healthier you get the better you will feel. Just keep making good choices with your food and exercise. Some weeks you will lose and some weeks you will hit a plateau. It doesn't matter, just keep pushing ahead and you WILL achieve the results you desire. Remember if you go backwards and start making bad choices, you will return to a less healthy lifestyle with more weight and less energy. I sometimes like to use music as inspiration. I think about the Gloria Estefan song "Get on your feet, get up and make it happen". You can do it!!!

Good Luck,

Michael
  • nanceeg
    Options
    Don't give up! Stop dieting but don't stop with your healthy lifestyle. I am having my doctor monitor my weight loss so I have to go see him each month and this makes me accountable. I went the other day and I was so bummed because I only lost 8 lbs. He said that 8 lbs was great but he'd rather I only lost 5. Take it slow! And I had the same experience as you, I was actually down 11 lbs a few days before but I gained some back. I'm willing to bet it is because I am always trying to lose it too fast so my body makes up for it. Believe me. I felt the same way you did until I left the doctor's office. I lose three, gain 4, lose 2, then lose another 3, then gain 2... etc. etc. etc. but in one month, I actually lost a total of 8 so its really a good thing! I've spoke with a personal trainer and they said the same thing. Your body needs time to adjust. TAKE IT SLOW! DON'T GIVE UP!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Stop "Dieting"!

Start "Healthier lifestyle"!

It's easier, you don't feel restricted, and have nothing to fall off of!

Ask yourself: could i carry on like this forever if needed? If the answer is no, it's a diet. If it's yes, you've made a lifestyle change.

I so agree with this statement.. I'm not on a diet, I'm just watching what I eat and eating smaller portions... Don't give up, giving up is easy. Work at it, keep on it and you'll see the results slowly but surely. We didn't gain weight overnight, and we won't loose it overnight. We're here for you, to support you, guide you and pick you up when you need picking up!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I gain 2lbs if I dont sleep properly!! The scales are the devil, take no notice of it! :devil:

UNLESS it goes down! :bigsmile:
  • kashmirkat
    kashmirkat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with a couple other posters - relax a little and start also taking your measurements! One gain means nothing - it could be just temporary water weight too - I had a gain Friday for my weigh in (at my Weight Watchers meeting) but it was gone by Monday - could have been the cold meds I was taking, could have just been lack of sleep - there are so many things that can temporarily cause weight fluxuations - don't give up! You can do it! :happy:
  • bettyboopo
    bettyboopo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your lovely replies, you've all given me the confidence boost I needed to carry on. I've realised that a few pounds gained here and there is nothing and i'm probably weighing myself too often! I've decided to only weigh myself once a month so I get a better overall view of my weight loss and i'm also going to take measurements. Thank you again to everyone who replied, you're all a real inspiration :) x x x