Best Breakfast to keep you full-er?

Options
During the summer I ate every couple of hours because I was @ work all day, but now I'm *on the run* a lot at school and find myself getting really hungry. I increased my caloric intake because it was at 1280 which I thought was too low for my current lifestyle, now it's at 1460 net cals, but do you guys have any suggestions on what foods keep you full-er longer? I'm a college student with basically no time (engineering) so if it's prep intensive that's probably not going to work...But thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yay for college kids! :) I get SO hungry during the day...I love 100 cal almond packs, apples with PB, bananas with PB, Clif bars, and carrots.
  • soniak78
    soniak78 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    all bran or porridge keep me full until well past midday :0)
  • Maggiedc
    Options
    I've been mixing a little lower cal protein powder in some plain yogurt and topping it of with a 1/4 cup of cereal/granola or uncooked oatmeal.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    From one engineering student to another, I know the insanity! LOL. I would suggest a breakfast with lots of fiber and fruit. That has worked for me. Also a protein shake would work since you're on the run. You can throw it in your bag or purse. Keep drinking lots of water, congrats on your progress and great luck to you!

5499814.png
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    start your day with quaker oats with some berries on top
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Porridge fills me up - keeps me going for ages.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm also on the run quite a bit. A couple of weeks ago I started doing Smoothies in the morning. I mix 1 cup of frozen mixed fruit from Costco and 1 banana with 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 2 cups of Spinach and it keeps me going until Lunch. Also helps me to make sure I am getting my fruits and veggies in which can be a challenge when you're eating on the run.

I blend it in a personal sized blender cup and take it on the road with me. Bring the cup back home after work, wash & repeat.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I microwave my eggs white and add 1-2 whole egg with cheese.

Peanut butter and bananas are very filling.

Pretty much anything with protein actually.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    high protein keeps me full most of the day.. bacon and eggs or a protein shake are good chioces and fast to prepare
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I used to keep a baggie of carrots in my back pack. I also did whole wheat crackers, and for those days when I new I wouldn't get lunch, I tried to keep a slim fast meal replacement bar with me. I know it is not the healthiest, but it is better than starving and then eating everything in sight at supper!

Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I was a cereal/bread/oatmeal guy for years and years.

Now I'm all about the eggs whites. Low in calories and high in protein.

I usually cook ~ 3/4 of a cup and eat them with a tortilla and some hot sauce.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Plain oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in. It is soooo good!
  • kirsteinm
    kirsteinm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Once a week, I create a weeks worth of my own Oatmeal baggies (the premade ones have other "stuff" that Im not interested in).

In a sandwich baggie add:
    1/3 Rolled Oats
    2 Tbps of flaxseed meal
    Ground cinnimon to taste
    Freshly grated nutmeg (off the real nut, the other stuff is not the same)
    pinch pf salt (optional but I it makes enough difference to me that I add it)
    2 Splenda packets

When you are ready to eat, add 2/3 water and microwave for 2 minutes. Top with either 1/4 fresh blueberries or 1/4 dried cranberries.

It's great and works for me until lunch time.

Good luck!!!!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cook up some hard boiled eggs ahead of time . . . you might want to invest in a gadget like the "Egg Genie." Grab a couple of eggs on your way out with some fruit.

Ta-da! Protein and fiber that is quick.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • neuroticlin89
    neuroticlin89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    prepping is a drag. either you could keep a list of foods you can buy that are healthy when you're in college or you can pick out one day a week, maybe on a sunday, and prep food for the entire week in containers and ziplock bags. that way, you can grab it and run on your way out. it requires some prep but only for one day, and then you don't have to worry about it until the following week.
    almonds are best when you're especially hungry during class.

also, if you prep things you would need for a sandwich, such as a container full of deli meat, another w/ lettuce, and another container with anything else you would want on a sandwich, it would take u less then a minute to make since all the things you need are at hand. other then that, i can't see a better way out then buying healthy food but that takes a toll on your purse. or you can eat a really big breakfast and just having small snacks throughout the day until you get home.

peanutbutter sandwiches are definitely filling and its the easiest to make.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Carbmaster Yogurt (Kroger) and Sunflower Seeds + 12 (or however many YOU need) egg whites. Hard boiled if your pressed for time, and can prep in advance.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that work best for me are a good quality bread toasted with either PB or Almond butter and a banana. Invest in a magic bullet for single serve smoothie, they also come with lids so you can take it to go. Use some soy or almond milk (unsweetened), a couple tablespoons of greek yogurt, some frozen berries (they act like the ice and don't water down your shake) and protein powder (I use EAS 100% whey). When I am really pressed for time, shake a cup of cold coffee, a cup of soy milk and a scoop of protein powder and off I go. The last thing I would suggest, buy a large canister of quaker oats (the instant packages have way too much sodium and sugar in them). Make a large batch on the weekend and put it in small containers and you will have it to grab and go. Put together some baggies of berries and nuts (walnuts are best). When all else fails always have clif or luna bars on hand or packages of peanut butter crackers.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    These all sound really good...Thanks for your input! I'm gonna try and figure out a way to boil eggs--we don't have a stove or anything in my dorm and we're not allowed one, either...But I'll figure something out!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yep boiled eggs work for me, i cook about 7 at a time and leave them in the fridge to eat on the run on the way out the door (i usually have a shake or cereal as well) but the egg seems to make me fuller.

if i'm ravenous, that's a quick fix.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey 100 Cal Vanilla protein powder
    1 C wild berries frozen
    1.5 C fresh baby spinach
    1 C Silk Light Vanilla Soy milk
    6 cubes of ice

Blend up into a super-thick protein shake - its REALLLLLLLLLLLLY good! And filling too!