I think I deserve a treat.......

Options
Since I joined mfp at the beginning of the year, I had myself programmed to feel guilty eating any unhealthy food at all! My week days are always pretty healthy, but when it came to the weekend the diet seemed to go out the window! It's almost like I HAD to binge because I was depriving my body of the food it wanted. I seemed to have NO control over my actions. I would nibble my way through a packet of biscuits, then feel terribly guilty. I even tell myself I dont want any of this, but yet i would still eat it!! Then I would easily move onto bread and chocolate! All the progress I had made during the week had vanished plus a gain on top of that!! The sad thing is, I came to not enjoying what most people call treats, because when I ate them it was to satisfy a pointless need......a binge!
So I have decided I am going to allow myself one snack/treat a week. Whether thats a biscuit with my tea or a chocolate car, once I can fir it into my calories Im happy! I have chosen sunday as my treat day!! I have tried "cheat days" and they just dont work for me! I end up abusing it and it turns into a "Savage day"

Have any of you tried allowing yourself a treat once a week, provided your week has been healthy? Or do you allow yourself a little treat daily??

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    when you get where you are most comfortable, then I can relate........on occassions, Ill indulge, but I gotta stay away from any alcohol, its not so much the wine, but then I get careless and then that starts up a pattern

again, were all different, but since I wont have wine until I reach my goal, which is about 13 lbs, Ill have some ice cream that day, and also, I try to really burn cals at the gym that same day, so its still under , and again, its rare, so I do relate to your situation..........Lloyd
  • naomi_clarke1987
    Options
    I allow myself a little treat daily as long as it is with my calorie allowance - a few squares of chocolate or a sweet, usually after dinner, i have a bit of a sweet tooth! i think cutting everything out can be very unsustainable.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    LIfestyle change versus diet mentality allows you to eat anything as long as you are being moderate.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Shoot! I'm all about treats every day! Just redefine what a treat is or just work it into your nutritional allowance. I'm not about denying myself ANYTHING. I wouldn't be able to survive. By letting myself have a little bit whenever I want, I don't usually binge. Good for you for figuring out something that works for you!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I treat myself almost daily as long as I exercised.
  • PussyKat1971
    PussyKat1971 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a cadbury's freddo every day & I've now started having a nice pudding after losing each stone because that is what I miss the most. I also have a mars ice cream (only 143 cals) at 9pm every night (something to look forward to !) I've lost 41 lbs in nearly 4 months so I can't be going far wrong. I don't really have cravings either because I'm having a bit of chocolate every day. Hope this helps.
  • shannonymous
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week where I can basically eat whatever I want. Its only helped my weight loss. Anytime during the week I feel myself tempted to eat ice cream or something, I tell myself, "I can have it if I wait until Saturday" and the craving quickly passes.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I eat something really yummy that is for sure not "diet" food almost every single day. As long as it doesn't put my over my calories I am fine with doing that. I would never ever last more than a week if I didn't.
  • kcmartian
    Options
    i allow myself a treat everyday and a dessert every week. the treat can be a couple squares of chocolate or a few pieces of candy or small portions of chips (~100-200 calories basically for whatever i want to spend it on).

the "dessert" is something bigger like an actual piece of cake or ice cream or pastry. sometimes i'll do a fried food instead if i'm craving salty instead of sweet that week.

i had the same problem you have -- super good / strict during the week and then i get these uncontrollable urges to binge after a few days or weeks.

my treat a day, dessert a week strategy is to keep myself from binging because i never feel like i'm deprived.
  • sandradi11
    Options
    It's all about moderation for me. I know that if i cut treats out completely then the day i have one it'll end in a binge. I allow myself snacks everyday. I do have days where i may go over, but on the whole i try to stick to my daily allowance and i've been losing consistently since i started.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'll give myself a treat most days if I have the calories. Sometimes that means extra exercise to "earn" the treat, which actually helps reduce the guilty feeling. Just last night I had a piece of lemon icebox pie. Yum!
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    If calories allow it, I eat a treat daily.... if I actually want it. Some days I log in a treat and once I get to that point, I'm either too full or not really "needing" to satisfy my sweet tooth. I am also finding that pre-packed treats are easier to moderate than something I have to measure out myself. ei: Mini Snickers ice cream vs measuring out 1/2 cup of ice cream. I have to remind myself that it's 1/2 LEVELED cup and not a rounded cup. =)
  • breannatrevs
    Options
    I am a person who looooooves sweets. Chocolate, cookies and cake is my thing. When i first started with MFP i did not allow any type of treat except for once a week. I would drink tea with splenda and milk to satisfy my "need" for a sweet. Now i allow myself little 100 calorie treats everyday!

Quaker Crispy minis with chocolatey drizzle are my favourite. They are little but i find that there are so many in the pack. I eat them sooooo slow, lol its almost like a have formed a ritual!! but i eat them one by one and suck on them. lol
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I figure something sweet into my daily calories...well...daily. I don't have anything extreme like a brownie sundae with 1500 calories but I have something small and I also relax some on the weekends. I make sure I exercise a little more but then I eat what I want for the most part. I do eat out more on the weekends because I have no self control at home if I have leftovers. God forbid there be half a chocolate cake sitting in the fridge because it would be gone in no time flat.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "treats" as i haven't done anything to deserve it! I'm not on some kind of hard diet. Just eat what i fancy, when i fancy it, log the cals, its all good :)
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! It makes me feel good that im not the only person who cant live without treats!!