Turkey Bacon vs. "Real Bacon"

Options
So I was discussing what I had eaten the last 2 days with a co-worker and I told her that I eat turkey bacon. She looked at me with a little discus and told me that "Real Bacon" is better than turkey bacon. I came back with, for one I don't really like "Real Bacon" anymore. I tore a peice off of my husbands piece that he had last night for dinner and I spit it out b/c it was so freakin salty I could hardly stand it. SOO..What are other peoples thought on this?? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon doesn't crisp up like pork bacon. And now I'm reminded I have pork bacon in the fridge. Dinner!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is SO much better! To tell you the truth, I prefer it, too!!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon doesn't crisp up like pork bacon. And now I'm reminded I have pork bacon in the fridge. Dinner!

^I have that pic as my desktop background! :D
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

Real bacon, makes me want to puke just thinking about it! Love turkey bacon but don't eat it often.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    People eat for different reasons. If one eats for taste then they may be into real bacon but if one eats for fuel and health they likely either really like turkey bacon or chose it because it has superior nutritional value.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I love... both! They are just different foods to me, and I have to be in different moods to eat one or the other.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Real bacon is one of the best thins on the planet. Especially the smell...second only to petrol imo. :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    i just like bacon. :smile: i think i prefer turkey bacon though.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have tried turkey one time and can not stomach the taste of it...............

I prefer my bacon to be country style bacon straight from the farm with no nitrates. The bacon I eat is not salty at all.,
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I HATE turkey bacon! it's dry, it doesn't crisp up, it remains the same size, shape, color (is it DONE?) I will take the real stuff!!
  • alexis92
    Options
    I love pork bacon, although I only have it at restaurants once or twice a year. I've never tried turkey bacon, but I always keep a box of Morningstar Farms soy bacon in my freezer!
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options
    I don't eat pork at all so I LOVE turkey bacon. Oscar Meyer has great TB...cooks up nice and crispy like "real bacon" too :-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I smoke my own bacon here at home. Its cheaper to purchase it, season and flavor it, I get plenty of the hickory, applewood and even cherry wood for smoking it.... never ever have a problem with salt where my seasonings dont have salt to begin with.

Ive given up on real bacon from the stores because I dont need the salt lick.
    Turkey bacon can be just as bad, if not WORSE!

Dont need prepacked/processed foods - in fact it makes me very ill with all the preservatives, chemicals, processing ingredients they add to that stuff.

I make everything from scratch... and if Im going to indulge in something that is real.. Ill stick to my homemade smoked bacon....
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    People eat for different reasons. If one eats for taste then they may be into real bacon but if one eats for fuel and health they likely either really like turkey bacon or chose it because it has superior nutritional value.

What exactly makes it superior in nutritional value?
  • afries0907
    afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    maybe i should have gone into more detail. oops my bad. but we weren't really talking about taste or personal preference, just on a nutritional basis.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I started using morningstar farms bacon and like it better than either turkey or real.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I like both but I always eat pork bacon because I get it from my dad for free from our own pigs (which is soooo much better than store bought...).
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    maybe i should have gone into more detail. oops my bad. but we weren't really talking about taste or personal preference, just on a nutritional basis.

If you get uncured real bacon....I don't really see a nutritional difference. Perhaps someone can enlighten me if I'm wrong.
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options

^I have that pic as my desktop background! :D

And I just downloaded it...LOL! Thanks for the inspiration...I'm gonna share it with my friends :-)
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I limit it because I believe it is processed and high in sodium...?? But I like it much better than real bacon!

Real bacon, makes me want to puke just thinking about it! Love turkey bacon but don't eat it often.