Am I the only one...

Options
who loves the idea of being able to say, "I am going for a run" and have it be completely normal AND not a pain in the *kitten*? This is my biggest goal. More than any number...Just to be able to go for runs and not struggle so damn much. And be able to do it for a long period of time!

Right now I can run probably...10-20 minutes straight, depending on the day.
What do you think? Normal? A good start?
How long can you run?

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    That's a great start! I'm doing the Couch to 5k program myself and I'm doing week 9 day 1 tonight, which is going up from last week's 28 minute runs to 30 minutes :bigsmile:
  • Misslissa16
    Options
    I just started running too, and i can run for about 10-15 minutes at a stretch myself before i need a break. And by running i mean jogging. I'm doing about 2.3 miles in 25 minutes. Not bad, but not great. Working on making that a better time, but for now i think that's pretty good. Keep at it, it will come.
  • JLee1892
    JLee1892 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!! I wish I was a runner! I hear all the time its absolutely the best all over body workout. I usually get tired though before the first 5min :-/ Would love to just be able to go for runs, and do 5ks and marathons!! Good for you though being able to run for 20min!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!! I wish I was a runner! I hear all the time its absolutely the best all over body workout. I usually get tired though before the first 5min :-/ Would love to just be able to go for runs, and do 5ks and marathons!! Good for you though being able to run for 20min!

Check this program out then, JLee1892! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I started off with about 8 minutes then worked up to 20-25. A friend of mine in med school tries to do 20 mins a day, says its good for the heart.

He got me into trail running a few summers ago, the first time we went out, Is topped like 40 yards from the trails end. After a month or so, I was running it 2 or 3x.

Was pretty fun actually. Even in the rainy-snowy weather of fall.

I liked the fact that the ground was forgiving on the knees, and the random logs and rocks kept me a little more involved, worked a few more mucles, etc. More of an experience/atmosphere type thing in the bush, vs just running streets for cardio. It was a safe park with trails by the way, kinda in the bush.

:)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think if you just started and can run 20 minutes straight you are doing great! I started running in January of this year and worked for months to be able to run 15 minutes straight. My workout was 35 minutes, and I was running for about half that time with a 15 minute stretch right in the middle. I was sidelined by a piriformis injury before I could make it running 35 minutes straight. I really hope to be able to get back to running soon.

Best of luck to you...sounds like you doing an awesome job! :)