Counting Calories on the Treadmill

Options
The calories burned on the treadmill does not match what FP says, and there is no option for walking with hills. What do you all reccomend I enter? Should I go with what the treadmill says or FP?

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Whichever is higher :laugh:
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    I go by what the treadmill (or ellipitcal) says. I put my weight in so I hope it is accurate.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The treadmill has a better idea of how much effort you put into your workout. I'd use the treadmill's count.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I go with the treadmill!
  • melsat
    melsat Posts: 14
    Options
    I go with whatever MFP says for the exercise. Usually the machines at the gym give me a little more calories burned than MFP does, but it isn't off by a ton! I would rather error on the side of caution than assume that I burned more calories than I did.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    MFP doesnt really calculate calories. I don't know how they calculate that. the best way is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the lowest number, especially if you eat the calories back.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4 mph (at an incline) and jog a little at a time so I put down that I'm walking at 4.5 and adjust the minutes to get closer to what my treadmill says. It's usually only a minute or two more.
  • kmichael9079
    Options
    There is an option for walking 3.5mph uphill in the exercise portion of FP.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend getting a HRM so you know with more accuracy just how many calories you're burning. Otherwise, I'd go with the lower number, so you're not overestimating what you've accomplished.
  • juliec0619
    juliec0619 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the input!