R.I.P Steve Jobs

Options
charliebird
charliebird Posts: 168 Member
and thank you! Your products have help change lives! Without the iPhone I would not have been as successful at losing weight as I wouldn't have the MFP APP or my C25K App. My children are able to be educated on the go. And that only scratches the surface of what your products have done.

Thoughts are with your family.

Replies

• Timebound
    Timebound Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Steve Jobs spent his life pursuing what he loved, but he didn't forget to fall in love and have a family along the way. And he changed the technology world forever. Should we all be so lucky to have such balance!

Rest in peace, sir.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's a shame he forgot to donate to any charity and had his company adopt the same policy. RIP anyhow.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Sad to see him go. He was the epitomy of geek-cool.

He died of a particularly nasty cancer (and I'm currently watching this happen to my own mum, so have some insight into just how nasty!). I'd really like to ask respectfully that any one so moved keep their nastier comments off the thread? I don't think someone's death is the time to put the boot in.
  • killagb
    Options
    Sad to see him go. He was the epitomy of geek-cool.

He died of a particularly nasty cancer (and I'm currently watching this happen to my own mum, so have some insight into just how nasty!). I'd really like to ask respectfully that any one so moved keep their nastier comments off the thread? I don't think someone's death is the time to put the boot in.

I still said RIP. I don't wish death upon anyone. Just pointing out a fact...wasn't nasty unless you think it's nasty of him to be that way.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's a shame he forgot to donate to any charity and had his company adopt the same policy. RIP anyhow.

Who cares?

I work part time for a charity and would never in a million years act like charities are entitled to rich peoples' money. It's a nice thing to do, but is by NO means a requirement. It's odd to comment on someone's personal and professional financial decisions in a RIP thread.

Good for him for building an obscenely successful company.
  • jeff261159
    Options
    Isaac Newton dropped it....Steve Jobs turned it into a computer, music player, smart phone, iPad....what next! A true genius. RIP
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

http://news.cnet.com/Red-iPod-supports-AIDS-charity/2100-1041_3-6125608.html

Also,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/07/apple-ceo-steve-jobs-2010_n_805762.html

Perhaps he did not give as much as he should, but there was a contentious effort made.
  • autumnmoon2001
    autumnmoon2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Very sad to see him go, as well. When I heard about his death, it brought memories of my Macintosh back in '85. A lot of people made fun of my little computer, saying it looked like a toy and I should have bought a pc. I'm so glad I got that Mac, because I learned a lot from that computer, about design, learning, and functionality and other skills which I use today. I still compare it with computers and software I use now. Steve will be sorely missed.
  • razorspells
    Options
    RIP Steve Jobs, you will be truly missed.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I found out at the gym where I then used my iPhone 4 to update my facebook status that he was gone and I was sad... then I saw it again at the school library where I used an iPad to help me study with some classmates... then I came home to read all the tweets about his passing on my Macbook.

Apple is in my everyday life and I will always have Steve Jobs on my brain. This brilliant man was taken by the same cancer that took my uncle and that PISSES me off. My first 5k was to benefit Pancreatic Cancer research.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Who cares?

I work part time for a charity and would never in a million years act like charities are entitled to rich peoples' money. It's a nice thing to do, but is by NO means a requirement. It's odd to comment on someone's personal and professional financial decisions in a RIP thread.

Good for him for building an obscenely successful company.

Realistically, unless the poster is his personal accountant, he doesn't have a clue what Mr Jobs did with his money. None of us do. Some people choose to give in a slightly more quiet way than others, don't they? Loud philanthropists aren't the only kind.

And yes, I think it's beyond 'odd' to comment on this in this kind of thread - with or without a token 'RIP' tagged on. Some might call it tacky. For him to come back and try to defend such an ignorant comment suggests someone spoiling for a fight to me, and I'm sorry mate, but I'm not in the mood.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I didn't know him.
  • killagb
    Options

Also,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/07/apple-ceo-steve-jobs-2010_n_805762.html

Perhaps he did not give as much as he should, but there was a contentious effort made.

The AIDS thing is great, although a very rare exception for Apple. I don't find it all that impressive to take $1 salary when you own about $2 billion in that company's stock...and I'll add his net worth was in excess of 5.1 billion dollars. I don't really want to spam all over this though in a debate about this, but the facts do speak for themselves on what I've said. I still wish him to RIP.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Does this mean Apple will die along with him? Please say yes.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's a shame he forgot to donate to any charity and had his company adopt the same policy. RIP

And yes, I think it's beyond 'odd' to comment on this in this kind of thread - with or without a token 'RIP' tagged on. Some might call it tacky. For him to come back and try to defend such an ignorant comment suggests someone spoiling for a fight to me, and I'm sorry mate, but I'm not in the mood.

As a side note I have worked with Apple for a number of years and they have done some amazing charitable things mainly on a small local community level. Their policy seemed to be about not donating where they werent clear how much of the money actually got to the people that needed it! Their charity acts were about making a difference and not about tax breaks! I think we should leave it there.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Also,

The AIDS thing is great, although a very rare exception for Apple. I don't find it all that impressive to take $1 salary when you own about $2 billion in that company's stock...and I'll add his net worth was in excess of 5.1 billion dollars. I don't really want to spam all over this though in a debate about this, but the facts do speak for themselves on what I've said. I still wish him to RIP.

Might be a good idea to take this discussion to a place which is discussing the political movements like Occupy Wall Street.

All that aside, I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore. Nobody deserves to go through what he did. A really great innovator. As a graphic designer, I wouldn't be anywhere without him or his products. His computers set type the best hands down.

I hope his family gets through okay. It's always hard to lose someone you love.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Everything is on the wrong side!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My condolences to his family, rest in peace Steve Jobs, "To infinity and beyond"!!