what do you do with leftovers that you shouldnt eat yourself

Options
my main weakness was always cooking too much food, which led to massive portion sizes and hence the massive weight gain. since going low carb for a few weeks iv been losing at a steady pace which im happy with but i also have a partner who i need to think about when it comes to dinner time...

so last night i made pasta, and i had a few spoonfulls myself and then realised how my stomach had shrunk so much i didnt need to eat anymore of it. But now im left with a pan full of pasta and sauce and i HATE waste. i cant see it go in the bin. it actually bothers me when i see people throwing food away...

.., so do i take this pasta in for lunch even though im trying to be low carb or do i bin it? My bf doesnt like left overs so he wont eat it.

iv logged it in my diary for lunch and it already sends me over my carb allowance so i now feel guilty if i eat it but still feel guilty if i bin it..!!

Replies

• emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    one thing i never cook pasta, if I'm cooking for myself or others i do a really healthy low carb meal.

and pasta the next day is meant to be good so you should make him eat it!!

id say just pack it the next day with salad so you have less pasta? eventually you'll have to throw out some, unless you have a dog lol :)
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well, there are a couple options, you can bring in the left overs for a co-worker... family member... friend. Or you can just throw it away, you dont have to eat it, you will always be able to find someone to take the left overs... ask a neighbor
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Throw it away and then remember that feeling next time you cook - it might help to remind you to cook less!
    Or cook more of things that you can freeze in single serve sizes.
    Or tweak your other meals for the day to fit this one in for lunch (that would work for me because I'm not bothered by carbs)
    Or take a little bit for lunch with a bunch of veggies to balance it out and make it a bit healthier. Then toss the rest.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Any old people for neighbors?
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    freezer back it or box it and put it in the freezer with a clear label and have it at a later date.

If you don't have a freezer and you are tempted to eat it, cover it in washing up liquid, that way its ruined and you can't eat it
  • sihon
    sihon Posts: 8
    Options
    I am mediterranean so pasta is everywhere lol. However ive noticed that whenever i eat even a small portion of pasta my weight increases. It must not agree with me lol :-)

having said this waste is a no no. what you should do is try to calculate better the portions. before you put the pasta in boiling water put it in a plate..the plate should be 3/4 full for a normal portion for a non dieter...thats for your bf, than add half of that for you. add plenty of veg or add minced beef to the tomatoe sauce for a bolognese sause...it has proteins which are good for a helthy meal.

its the best i can come up with :-)
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    cover it in washing up liquid, that way its ruined and you can't eat it

I did that the other day with a cream cake. I felt guilty wasting food but I knew I'd feel even worse if I ate it up!!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    guess i should just suck it up and bin it! i know i will feel crap for eating it and that will last much longer for my guilt of binning it!

my eyes are clearly too big for my belly lol
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I weigh my carbs now for this very reason - I always, always ate far too much pasta (and rice and potatoes)

Or else bin it, the wasted food will make you feel less guilty than than actually eating it.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I'd freeze it. Or give it away. Or do some exercise so I could eat it (but I'm still carb friendly so that's less of an obstacle).
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Get a dog!
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    I can't bear waster either! Please don't through it out. Freeze it is a good option or just have smaller portions over a few days! The neighbour option is also a good one.

I must say, I'm very surprised at your bf! Most of my male friends will eat anything no matter whether it is leftovers or fresh.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Serve them to your bf and pretend they're not leftovers.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I must say, I'm very surprised at your bf! Most of my male friends will eat anything no matter whether it is leftovers or fresh.

My boyfriend is very much "his body is his temple" so he wasnt too pleased when i served up pasta in the first place, but you know when your tired and cant be bothered to cook a proper meal. and pasta is quick and easy!

right, have decided not to eat it! i shall freeze it. then give it back to him in a week or so and pretend its a new dish, bit of side salad and garlic bread and he wont know the difference lol.

Thanks guys. xxx
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    i say freeze it in small portion bags, he wont even know he is eating left over & then try making smaller portions. I had the same problem bc i'm from the islands & we are used to making alot of food just in case some one came by. I ended up eating it bc i could not waste it... so now i make smaller portions & too bad if the kids want more.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Freeze the sauce, don't keep cooked pasta.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If I make too much, then I will just give it to my boyfriend. He is like a human rubbish bin. He will eat anything, so it doesn't matter what it is.

Sometimes, I may cook too much even for both of us, so I will freeze what I've cooked (if it's doable of course) and have it another time.

I hate wasting food too, but sometimes I just can't store it to use at a later date.
  • DShayShay77
    DShayShay77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love to bake but am not going to eat four dozen cookies. I take them to work and leave them in the breakroom. My boyfriend is in law enforcement and sometimes I will give the food to him to take to work. Working long shifts for law enforcement most of the folks would love to have a big bowl of pasta at some point during the day or night. And if you do decide to get a dog don't give it table food very often...
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Freeze it, if it's a good, untouched portion.
    Compost if it's not.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Freeze it! I have lots of tubs and freezer bags of various sizes and shapes to cope with most anything - and pasta freezes perfectly well if you've stirred the sauce through it, just let it cool down first.

I freeze lots of things because I can only cook in large amounts too, soups, stews, chilli, bolognese sauce, cottage pies, macaroni cheese... the list is endless! But when I've finished walking the dogs and am ready to cook my evening meal at 8.30 I'm grateful for my weekend cooking-fests!

:flowerforyou: