Inches Away!!!

Options
Hi Everyone, this group is for all those that want to put a new "Twist" on their Weight Loss Journey.
Tired of measuring your success of your journey by the scales?

What inspired me this morning to try to form this group was my own personal discovery. I got up this morning and monday is always my weigh in day and last week I had really bumped up my steps in my walking routine., so I expected a big loss. I maintained. Looked at the calendar and it was a month gone by and I needed to take my measurements and Wow, I am down 12 5/8 inches. I know that when the inches Fall so too with the Pounds. So that was real motivation and encouragement.

I began reading the message boards and noticed a lot of people measuring their success by the scales and not liking what they see. That kind of stress can make one through in the towel, it can trigger us to binge, give up, and I said, we've got to focus on other ways to measure our success.

So here we are. We will form a group that will measure monthly our inches lost, and celebrate our success. We will post often and share tips, new discoveries, recipes, and inch by inch we'll acheive greatness and self-confidence. What do you say, will you join me on this Inches Away Journey?

Debbie

Replies

• happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, this group is for all those that want to put a new "Twist" on their Weight Loss Journey.
    Tired of measuring your success of your journey by the scales?

What inspired me this morning to try to form this group was my own personal discovery. I got up this morning and monday is always my weigh in day and last week I had really bumped up my steps in my walking routine., so I expected a big loss. I maintained. Looked at the calendar and it was a month gone by and I needed to take my measurements and Wow, I am down 12 5/8 inches. I know that when the inches Fall so too with the Pounds. So that was real motivation and encouragement.

I began reading the message boards and noticed a lot of people measuring their success by the scales and not liking what they see. That kind of stress can make one through in the towel, it can trigger us to binge, give up, and I said, we've got to focus on other ways to measure our success.

So here we are. We will form a group that will measure monthly our inches lost, and celebrate our success. We will post often and share tips, new discoveries, recipes, and inch by inch we'll acheive greatness and self-confidence. What do you say, will you join me on this Inches Away Journey?

Debbie
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in! I don't own a scale so I record my loss by inches anyways!
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Welcome so good of you to join. Now that you have did you know you can go on Tickerfactory and they have a new Waist Ticker, you can track your inches lost around your waist. Then once you make it, copy the bbl code and paste to your signature in your settings and it will appear everytime you post and you can update it bi-weekly or monthly when you take your measurements.

I like tracking success this way because its not the # on the scale people see, its the inches gone. When we lose the inches it shows in our outside appearance, the way our clothes fits, and that's what we are all striving for, that new body image.....the WoW factor as I call it.

Glad to have you Aboard......Post often :wink:
    Debbie
  • psychojenn
    Options
    :happy: sounds awesome! i dont own a scale either so measuring by inches is better for me anyway
  • poor_girl1957
    poor_girl1957 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First time poster here....I am in. I do eweigh myself and exercise a lot...6 days out of 7. Alternating between pilates and aerobics. I think I am losing more inches than weight so I would like to join you!

143593.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Welcome Poorgirl and Jen, good to see you here. It is not uncommon when losing weight to have your inches exceed your pounds. Hey we don't care right, the end result will be getting our lives back, eating healthy and exercising daily and we are going to be so proud of ourselves when summer is here and we are more active and feeling great.

I am so excited. I have my eye on the 4th of July. It is time for a vacation. It is time of celebration, and my birthday is the 16th and I will be 51. I look forward to being in new sizes, being more active, feeling more energy and strength, and gaining so many new and wonderful friends.

What are you looking forward to? Perhaps a class reunion, family reunion, wedding, graduation, vacation, cruise, retreat?

I am going to decorate around my desk this week. Vacation photos, positive statements, little reminders of what is to come and what I am going to do with my summer. Visual motivators....think about it....make your space inviting and happy, a place you like to be when logging on to journal your success and share your feelings. Just a thought and helpful suggestion!

Debbie
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Good Morning Chunkabutt, poorgirl and Jen, and all that follow. Good to see you today. Well its gonna be 62 here in the buckeye state today and we are going to make good of it, as rain is on the way mid week.

So what is everyone into today? What's on your agenda? Did you have a hardy breakfast to rev up that metabolism?

Let's get started with those measurements----get out the pen and pad and jot them down, tuck the book away and get it back out in 2 to 4 wks. and we'll share the results.

Where are the measuring cups and spoons? Are they out in the open, on the kitchen counter, beside the stove? Let's when making those recipes stop eyeballing it and do a little measuring, same true when doing portions----is that cup really a cup? Eyeballing can sneak in a few more calories than we are being accountable for.....also can go the other way, and we are robbing ourselves of our portions so lets have a True Week and see what the rewards are at the scales next week....What do you say?

So gotta give the poochie a bath today. Gonna take her on my walk with me today, she loves it. She is a lab and pug mix and so cute. Her name is Chloe and she is so loving.

well bbl
    make it a great day everyone!!!
    Your friend, Debbie
  • poor_girl1957
    poor_girl1957 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie,

Oops...lol...Did a new signature and got a dup on my ticker. I measured myself and have lost an inch all around except my neck.

I faithfully measure out my portions...I have a food scale that I use and I do use my measuring cups. I also use a smaller plate. I eat 3 meals a day and exerise 6 out of 7 days. I don't feel the least bit deprived. I was fortunate to get use to the portions quickly.

I read that changing up your exercise routines and splitting them up to 2x's a day helps the metabolism...I am 51 so I can use the boost from wherever I can get it, so i am going to up the ante on my workouts.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I'm with you! Last week I gained a pound but lost 4 1/2 inches, with 1 1/2 inches of that being from the biggest part of me ~ my belly. I've always said I don't care what the scale says, if I look nice in my clothes.

I was a size 18 when I started MFP and want to get down to at least a size10 ~ which means I have to whittle my waist down to 30" or less. I was a size 6-8 in my twenties and thirties so I think this is a reasonable goal for a middle aged woman. So far i have only lost an inch in my waist but 4" in my abdomen... pretty much an inch a week.
  • happygirl518
    Options
    :wink: Hi Susan, so nice of you to join us. You are setting reasonable goals and that's the way to do it. I will do everything I can to make it fun here. I want everyone to be at the top of there game by 4th of July. I started my journey Jan. 26 and to date have taken off 11 lbs. and 12 5/8 inches. Since it's truly the inches lost that gives us the greatest satisfaction, I am more than pleased having just begun.

I hope you'll post often, we all have alot we can contribute so share those recipes, wt. loss tips, quotes, new discoveries and of coarse all the woo hoo's and cheers of success you can!!!

Debbie:flowerforyou:
  • happygirl518
    Options
    hey Donna, good for you on inches lost and weighing and measuring food. That is a great idea using the smaller plate :), I will be 51 in July so honey I'm right their with ya, and open for all good tips:wink:

Keep up the good JOB!!!!! Love what you shared about breaking up the routine and rev'n up the metabolism, especially when I joke that I think I was born without metabolism in the first place LOL
    Debbie:smile:
  • psychojenn
    Options
    im just starting all over again. a couple weeks ago ive visiting my family alot(about 3 hrs away) so i been losing the habbit of getting on here since then, but now im getting back on track and hope to do better this time round :smile:
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Jen, ....good for you, forgive yourself and keep moving forward. We can do nothing about the past but learn from our mistakes and take charge. I know it can be hard sometimes to be around others that think we can turn our eating habits on and off. I use to hear people tell me, oh its just one piece of fudge, or cake or pie, and entice me to waiver from my plan. I had to learn to be assertive, and it comes with time.

Just like eating out. We can't always control how things are prepared, but you can be assertive when ordering, advice on salt, mayo or dressings on the side, no butter, or butter on the side, no sour cream or it on the side, no bread at the table, or chips and salsa. (unless planned for in your diet). If portions are too large you can ask for a take home box before the meal comes and reduce your portions by cutting and removing from your plate what you want to take home, and then close the lid and set it aside and only eat what remains on your plate. Out of sight out of mind, and you have lunch for the next day. Just a few little tricks I have learnt through the years....LOL

Debbie
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Here's a Weight Loss success tip:

Don't multi-task while you are eating. Working, watching t.v., reading, you re distracted and not conscious of what you are eating or how much. Chew slowly-savor teh flavor and texture. Put your spoon down or fork between bites and count to 10. Learn to eat more slowly. Enjoy your meal times.

Debbie :smile:
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    yeah i lost an inch around my neck and 2 around my waist, in just over a week!! Amazing!
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Good Morning Gang.....way to go Chunkabutt....how is everyone this Wednesday Morning...

Quote Today: "no one said what is best was also easy"....Eamonn K.

Forming new habits take time....don't be too hard on yourself.....inch by inch....pound by pound...success will be YOURS

Was reading a bit this morning and did you know the American Heart Association recommends that healthy adults ages 18-65 engage in moderate intensity activity for 30 minutes 5 times a week. They recommend that you make it fun yet rewarding. Find something you like to do, Yoga, Tai Chi, Aerobics, Stairmaster, Treadmill, Walking, Jogging, Swimming, and incorporate it into your day. If not all 30 min. at once, do two sets of 15 or three sets of 10 min. each. Make it part of your daily goals.

I have found since beginning the first of March my walking goal that the more I exercise the more I want to. You could not have convinced me that first week I would feel this way, LOL But its true. Last week my total steps just within my walking my city bike/walking path exceeded a total of 5 miles. By July I hope to be walking in excess of 35 miles per week, 5 miles per day or 10,000 steps. So I am currently 1/7th of the way there!!!! When you break your goals down, and progress a little at a time you feel motivated and wanting more of a good thing. Just something to think about!

So what are some of your fitness goals? What do you like to do to trim the inches off your body?

bbl Debbie:smile:
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Good Morning dear friends, ...some of us spoke yesterday of beginning again and it leads me to a quote for us today....by Eleanor Roosevelt...."Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"....

This is so true. Ya know sometimes it takes us trying things more than once.....over and over to master the goal. Think about the first time you tried to ride a bike, or roller skate, or water ski, or tired your hand at bowling. I fell down and wrecked lots of times, I threw lots of gutter balls, but did I give up........NO...I can ride a bike, I can make a strike; but it took patience, and time and determination to master. Just something to think about today.

So what in the master have you mastered....think of the efforts involved and apply this in your journey.

bbl Debbie

make it a good day!!!!
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Good Evening, hope you all had a good day. Today was good. Rainy and cold here in Ohio.
    Been reading a new book and will share a new recipe from it with you all tomorow. I have been reading up alot of the importance of fiber in our diets and the benefits and will share that as well.
    Those of you here with us, please share a family favorite recipe that we can all try with our families. If you can include nutritional information that will be most helpful to us when posting.

Thank you all in advance....Debbie until tomorrow sweet dreams
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Good Friday Morning to Everyone this morning. Was doing some late night reading and ran across an article about the Importance of Vitamin E.

Did you know? Vitamin E, aids in the healing process especially burns when applied topically.
    Vitamin E is found to currently protect against approximately 80 diseases.

Some benefits fo Vitamin E
    Reduces blood pressure
    Aids in preventing cataracts,
    Relieves leg cramps
    promotes healthy skin and hair
    Prevents age spots
    Retards cellular aging
    Prevents and dissolves blood clots
    Slows the progression of Alzheimers disease
    Strength the immune system
    Supplies oxygen to the blood that is carried to the heart and other organs thus alleviating fatigue
    Treats circulatory problems, Improving muscle strength

Studies show that it improves insulin action, aiding in preventing long-term complications of diabetes especially cardiovascular disease.

Recommended daily dose 400-800 IU

Food sources of Vitamin E
    Almonds, Asparagus, Avocados, Nuts, Peanuts, Olives, and many seeds. Dark leafy vegetables, oils like canola, corn, soy and sunflower oil. Wheat germ is high in Vitamin E.

For your health.......have a great day everyone and I'll bbl Debbie
  • happygirl518
    Options
    For all you Pasta Lovers, here is a great high fiber recipe:

Pasta Fagioli
    2 slices center cut (30% less fat) bacon, such as osca mayer, chopped
    1 onion chopped about 1 cup
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    3 ribs of celery chopped 1/2 cup
    4 cups of low sodium fat free chicken broth
    1 can (14.5 oz) salt free diced tomatoes
    6 oz. whole wheat healthy harvest ronzoni
    1 can of dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained about (15 oz)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/8 tsp. ground blk pepper
    Heat lrg. saucepan over medium heat, add the bacon and cook until just strting to brown, 5-6 min. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots cook til starting to soften 2-3 mins.
    Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes, pasta (ronzoni) and beans cook 12-15 min and pasta will get tender. Remove from heat and stir in basil, parsley and pepper.
    Makes 6 servings
    Per serving
    Calories 210, 10 gms. protein, 33 gms. carbohydrate, 4 gms. total fat, 1 gm saturated fat, 3 mg. cholesterol, 9 gms. of fiber, 490 mg. sodium
    Enjoy