How exercise and weight loss has reduced my blood pressure

Options
Hi everyone! I'm very excited to tell those of you who suffer with high blood pressure my success story so here goes. Over the last 2 years, I have put on a little over 37 pounds. I was in nursing school which took up almost every minute of my time. I didn't eat right or exercise at all for that 2 year period. I'm also a mother of 3 and married so my stress level was significantly increased as well.

I had been diagnosed with high blood pressure about 6 years ago and I started taking medication for it . How I found out was that I had an episode when I took a sinus pill that shot my blood pressure through the roof. As long as I've been on medication since then, my blood pressure has been stabilized. I've been taking 10 mg of Lisinopril for the last 6 years. Well, here comes the great news!

Since I've been exercising every day for at leat 30 minutes, whether I jog, work out to a video tape or lift weights, my blood pressure has went from 140/90 to 98/64! It's been amazing! I'm still in disbelief! This has happened in just a months time of being consistent and with watching my calorie counts. My overall weight loss since I left nursing school in may has been 17 pounds.

About 2 weeks ago, I started feeling extremely tired and didn't want to do anything so I started checking my blood pressure at home and sure enough, it was extremely low. The number was 90/58 after I had just finished working out! I decided to reduce my medication in half and to take my blood pressure more often throughout the day so that if I needed to increase my medication, I could. I am feeling better and my blood pressure is remaining within normal to slightly low ranges! I am thrilled to death and this has been consistant for the last two weeks!

I am not trying to encourage people to stop taking their medication in any way because what works for me may not work for others but I am saying that exercise and weight loss plays a significant role in your health! Keep up the good work and let's get HEALTHY!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep it up.:flowerforyou:
  • carol3312
    Options
    Amazing and inspirational! Thanks I needed to hear this! Keep up the good work!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    this is great congrats
  • whiteasnow
    Options
    Thank you!
  • whiteasnow
    Options
    Thanks! :happy:
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Very good news, thanks, I needed to hear this :flowerforyou:
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what terrible things a stressful lifestyle and some extra pounds can do to the human body. Bravo to you for fighting back and getting your blood pressure back to healthy levels! :)
  • quizzyrascal
    quizzyrascal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was told when I was put on lisinopril, that once on BP medication you were on it for life, your news is very encouraging and yet another reason to keep at the diet and exercise. Thank you.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Great story; thanks for sharing! I find this encouraging. I'm opposed to taking medicine if I can avoid it. With a family history of high blood pressure, with most family members being diagnosed in their mid-twenties, I have decided to try and lower mine with exercise and diet. I'm now 30 and lowering my blood pressure considerably every month.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Great news!!!

I started taking my health seriously about 6 months ago when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.

I am hoping that with exercise along with a diet that includes watching my calories and sodium intake. I will be able to get off my meds at some point.

I am slowly moving in the right direction. To date I have lost a significant amount of weight and I get at least 90 minutes of exercise 6 days a week. My sodium is down but not as low as it needs to be!

Congrats on your success and thanks for being a positive role model!
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! That's great news; although you probably should talk to your dr. to get him to lower your prescription - or try you for 3 months off bp medicine. Sounds like you could do without meds.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I had been on bp medicine for about 7 years, bp 128/94 or something like that without medicine. Because the diastolic pressure was over 90, the dr. put me on 20 mg Lisinopril and also 40 mg Simvastatin for cholesterol. Lost 20 lbs last fall which I gained back in the Spring due to stress from relocating. In the fall, my dr. reduced my meds to 10 mg for bp & 20 mg for cholesterol. I saw a new dr in June; bp was 117/76 & cholesterol was also good. She took me off bp meds & reduced cholesterol meds to 10 mg. Just saw her last week for a recheck - bp is still good at 124/76 & she took me off cholesterol meds (which I had kept forgetting to take anyway). So I'm officially off all medicine. I go back for a recheck in December.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be able to tell a story like this! I had blood pressure problems years ago, while in college, but after having my 4yo it seemed to stay back in normal ranges, so my doc stopped meds. I wasn't being very good at checking it regularly and this past July, after having a headache for about 4 days, I had it checked. It was in the stroke levels! After an ER visit, being put on meds again, 47lb loss and getting exercise, I feel great! But my blood pressure it still trying to stay around 140/90. Much lower than the 240/220 that it was, and the doctor keeps saying this could be my new norm, but I still feel it's high. Congrats to you!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    that's great. this is one of my goals. i had to take meds while i was pregnant with my last because my bp was too high and then after i had her it just never went down. so i am focused on that particular goal and i think it's totally awesome and inspiring to see it work for you
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Awesome! getting off bp meds is one of my goals too. After working out for 2 months, my doc cut the dosage in half. A few weeks go, during a workout, I realized I had forgotten to take it the night before (was easier to get my HR up, which the meds keeps low). I checked my bp throughout the day and it stayed normal. My doc said I could cut the meds in half again and see how that goes for a few weeks. She said if that works, to start taking it every other day and see how that goes. Honestly, I've been on it so long, I'm a little nervous about trying to go off of it.
  • addjkd
    addjkd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great health is the best reward!
  • whiteasnow
    Options
    This is meant for all of you; Congratulations to all of your successes and keep up the good work everyone! :happy:
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This is 100% true. I was diagnosed with mild HT a couple years ago & started exercising regularly in June of last year. In July I had a physical & after just a few weeks of exercise my BP was in the normal range. My dr told me I could stop the meds as long as I checked my BP weekly @ home & came back if it started getting high again. Never did. This past July I went back to see him again, 70-ish lbs lighter, & on the screen he clicked RESOLVED next to "hypertension" & it was gone forever. :D
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Thas awesome way to got
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!