Epigastric Hernia Surgery

Options
I went to the dr yesterday and found out I need to have surgery on a hernia I have. I am super scared and upset. First surgery scares me. I dont believe any surgery is "minor". They can all have complications. SO I am freaking out about that. Then I found out the recovery time is six weeks, no working out!! Or lifting anything over 10lbs including my babies. I have been busting my butt to get in shape and now I feel like it will all be a waste. Well not a complete waste as I have lost fat, but my muscles definition will be a waste.:grumble:

so heres my questions Has anyone ever had this surgery or a similar one? Will I lose the muscle i have built in six weeks?

Any support would be nice! I am overly worried about this.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    sorry I'm sure that you'll be fine. I will say a prayer for you. :) In 6 weeks you shouldn't lose much and the articles that I read say that within the 3 months that your muscles have memory and will come back quicker than it did to build.

My question here for you is how did they find it? I think I may have one and am curious about that.... Sometimes i get a weird cramp and then you can feel a super hard spot then it subsides.... hmmmm what is it????
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what your symptoms were and how they found it....

Worrying about surgery is normal -- I've had 3 surgeries and each time - you tell your family you love them, you make sure they know your wishes (i.e. donor, who gets what) and then you go in with a clear mind and come out all fixed :) Don't let it freak you out too much. You should be able to do some walking at least sooner than the 6 weeks but even if you can't --- get healthy and then get back out there!

PS --- MFP figures your goals with a calorie deficit already -- so even if you don't lift a finger you could lose.
  • MommyToFour
    MommyToFour Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had epigastric hernia repair surgery 2 years ago. The recovery went pretty quickly and pain-free for me. Even tho they say the recovery time is 6 weeks, I would think that the doc would clear you to do some light exercise long before the 6 weeks is up. I do not remember having any restrictions when I came home from surgery....but of course every doctor is different.

I too, was scared crapless of surgery! It was my first time under general anesthesia, and I wasn't feeling so great about the whole idea. I totally feel ya on that one!!! But remember even though complications are a possibility, they are rare! And the complications that you may get from a un-repaired hernia are far greater! Good luck to you, and keep your head up- you'll get through this little bump in the road. :0D
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try not to be too worried about the surgery. I've had a hernia repair (umbilical) and certain other surgeries and I'm sure they'll be taking very good care of you.

It will be too bad to interrupt your exercising. The one thing I'd say we'll all agree on, is take it easy until you are cleared for various exercises/lifting, and even then go slow till you are 1000%. You should be able to at least walk fairly soon afterward. I agree with those above, it will take awhile but you'll get all your gains back. Best wishes!:flowerforyou:
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I had paraesophogial hernia surgery last December. I had a one year old at the time. The first couple days were rough, but within a week or so, you should be able to atleast walk/jog/bike and work back into a real workout. The surgery I had involved 5 small incisions in my stomach so the stomach muscles weren't totally cut up. You should be fine!
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    sorry I'm sure that you'll be fine. I will say a prayer for you. :) In 6 weeks you shouldn't lose much and the articles that I read say that within the 3 months that your muscles have memory and will come back quicker than it did to build.

My question here for you is how did they find it? I think I may have one and am curious about that.... Sometimes i get a weird cramp and then you can feel a super hard spot then it subsides.... hmmmm what is it????

They found it when I went to the dr and pointed it out to him. After losing weight and working on building muscle i started to notice a bulge right above my belly button and I could "squish" it back inside. My husband was super worried and made me have it checked out. He was right, it was indeed a problem.
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had paraesophogial hernia surgery last December. I had a one year old at the time. The first couple days were rough, but within a week or so, you should be able to atleast walk/jog/bike and work back into a real workout. The surgery I had involved 5 small incisions in my stomach so the stomach muscles weren't totally cut up. You should be fine!

Did they say anything about it possibly affecting any further pregnancies? Could it break open?
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Try not to be too worried about the surgery. I've had a hernia repair (umbilical) and certain other surgeries and I'm sure they'll be taking very good care of you.

I have to have an umbilical hernia repaired soon -- were they able to do it laproscopically, and did you have mesh? What was your recovery like?