9 Week Holiday Challenge (close group) wk 2

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I just realized I didn't answer the second half of the question -- the biggest factor for me has been being very aware of how many calories I'm eating. Sometimes I think "well would that cookie really derail me that much" and the answer is almost always YES!
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successfully weight loss?

Wow. I've really enjoyed reading your answers to this question.

My weight has gone up and down all of my adulthood. I was a skinny cheerleader. Got married. My mom never let me eat bad food, so I started eating a lot of it because I could. (It's my mom's fault!!!! No...just joking). Then we got burglarized and I went into a major depression, had to go on medication for it, and I gained and gained. I went from 115 to 155. (Now I would die to be 155).

I lost the weight several times through phentermine, a diet drug. Then I became very depressed again and I went up to 180. Then I became super depressed again, and went up to 211. See the trend?

Something happened that made me realize that I was addicted to food, and didn't want to be, so I decided on a summer night at 11pm while walking through my neighborhood crying, that I was going to change. So I did. I lost 52 pounds through Weight Watchers.

I got pregnant and miscarried. Then I got pregnant again and it was a terrifying pregnancy where we were told she would not live. I went on bedrest to save her and ate lots and lots to get her to grow. (The problem was that she was not growing). I ended the pregnancy at over 200 pounds again, and I only lost about five pounds because she only weighed a pound!

She spent a lot of time in the NICU and then she came home, but had several issues. This caused me to just keep keep on eating and eating. Now I've decided that I'm done with eating to make me feel better emotionally. I need to be fit for her because she has a lot of appointments and she needs my best. Also, I want to get pregnant again.

When I was successful in losing weight, the biggest factor was me being patient. I realized that my weight loss was going to be about a pound a week and it would take a long time. I also kept my goal of having a baby in mind. I knew that I couldn't safely do it at my weight. So that is where I am now, again!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday 10/4/11: Now that you have been communicating with your partner for a full week, except our newest member on the blue team, I'm sure you have some words of encouragement, congratulations, thankfulness or up lifting... Today is give your partner a public shout out day..

My partner is getitamb. She is doing awesome! She is logging in daily, tracking her food, and working out consistently. her motivation really helps me to continue on my journey. I am so happy that we are doing this together.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successfully weight loss?

My weight gain probably was from two different things. 1. I got married and didn't realize that I couldn't eat like my stick thin husband. That was probably a little bit of the weight. 2. I have PCOS, and didn't know. As soon as I found out that I had PCOS, I changed my diet, and have been consistantly losing all the weight that I originally put on. So, I think that the majority of my problem was the carb resistance that PCOS causes, but because I was eating like my husband (tons of carbs) I gained tons of weight. The biggest thing for me is to significantly reduce the amount of processed carbs that i eat. I can eat complex carbs, and natural carbs, but I hav eto stay away from white rice, pasta, etc. At this point I am slightly lighter than I was when I got married, but my goal is for my college years. Almost there. :)
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successfuly weight loss?

The biggest factor in my weight loss was my childhood. I have been fat since I can remember and to deal with soem traumatic experiences that were going on with me, I ate more and more because I couldn't talk about it. I got bigger as I got older. I didn't know when to stop. When I got to high school, I was fat but I always mintained about a size 16 so I had a good figure. Then i yo yoed in college and right before I went to college in 2010, I got up to 262 pounds. A lot of It had to do with depression and I had stopped smoking. I learned to use food to compensate for it.

I had to learn to deal with what caused me to gain with in the beginning. I also had to use working out as an outlet and see the benefits of being healthy. I learned to live my life differently because i wanted to be happy. I didn't like limitations, I still don't. And I wanted to be an inspiration to the people around me.
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

The biggest factor in my weight gain was not being able to take care of myself, because I was taking care of everyone else. I can’t blame my weight gain on my pregnancy alone, because I actually lost weight during and after. But, because my husband had a spinal injury 3 weeks after the triplets were born, I had my hands full. Thank God for family and friends. But, slowly neglecting myself, the weight starting creeping up and up and up. It's not that I was eating bad, but not eating often and not eating healthy choices. Then, I had to return to work. So I had to go shopping for new clothes. Well reality was clear, I was over weight, and not happy.

I think the biggest factor in my weight loss is also my family. I want to be healthier so I can live longer, but I also want to be able to keep up with my family. I want to enjoy life.
  • tessacope2
    Options

I dated my husband for five years before we got engaged. So once he proposed (finally!) I went into full workout/eat healthy so that I could look my best on my wedding day. It worked...I felt more beautiful walking down the aisle than I ever have in my life. Then came the honeymoon stage. I went from working out 4-5 times a week to not working out at all for three months. I went from tracking my calories to not caring what I ate. We moved into a house, got a puppy and nested. Fast forward 6 months, and I've gained all of the weight back. It's pure laziness, no one is to blame but me!

So I've been back on the bandwagon for 2 weeks, and I'm getting back into a healthy routine. The best part is that my hubby and I are doing it together. (He also lost/gained.) Instead of cuddling on the couch or sharing a glass of wine, we go for a jog and make a healthy dinner. It's great quality time! Healthy = Happy

Have a great day!!
  • MFPSTARSCHALLENGE
    Options
    Ladies, posted is the updated team list. Please let me know if anyone is not hearing from their partner. Thanks!

6217497377_5b26de09bf_b.jpg
    Team by starsnyc21, on Flickr
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/6/11 Thursday: What is your workout routine? Do you always do the same thing? Do you mix it up? What kind of music is on your iPod (if you use one)?

Since I have my grandson, I usually walk the hood. If to hot, too cold or rainy we walk the mall. I love my Leslie Sansome and Zumba DVDs too but hard to do with him.
    My iPod has a variety - anywhere from Fischer Price Kids, Mercy Me, Toby Mac, to Pink.

Everyone enjoy your day and make it count!
  • MFPSTARSCHALLENGE
    Options
    QOTD 10/6/11 Thursday: What is your workout routine? Do you always do the same thing? Do you mix it up? What kind of music is on your iPod (if you use one)?

Since I have my grandson, I usually walk the hood. If to hot, too cold or rainy we walk the mall. I love my Leslie Sansome and Zumba DVDs too but hard to do with him.
    My iPod has a variety - anywhere from Fischer Price Kids, Mercy Me, Toby Mac, to Pink.

Everyone enjoy your day and make it count!

Thank you MamaDee for stepping up for the team:happy:
  • MFPSTARSCHALLENGE
    Options

Currently I do 2 workouts "Turbo Jam Cardio Party 1" and "Leslie Sansom Walk Away the Pounds 2 mile walk". They are quick 30-40 mins and they get your blood pumping. I love the music to Turbo Jam but Leslie can be a bit boring so I always blast Pandora while I'm walking away the pounds.

:smile:
  • prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I just started the turbo fire program and it a 20 week program that I plan to complete. So it'll keep me busy for quite awhile!!
  • ChatSournois
    Options

Thanks Mamadee2!!
    I used to do the Leslie Sansone 2 Mile Walk on the computer, from www.exercisetv.tv...now I've got the 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk and it's brilliant. I like Billy Blanks Tae Bo but I'm not very good at it, lol. I also like Jane Fonda aerobics on youtube, when I'm feeling very energetic. A big thank you to Prizmaa for introducing me to Turbo Jam..I tried it the other day and I'm loving it.
    I don't listen to music when I'm exercising..I'm like a robot, lol.
  • tessacope2
    Options

I do circuit training classes where you rotate between the treadmill, row, trx, weights, abs, etc. There are usually about 20 people in a class, the music is blaring and there is a fitness coach instructing the two teams what to do. I really enjoy the classes, but after a year of doing it, I need to add something else to my routine. The weather has been so nice lately (I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL) so we have been walking/jogging in the evenings this week.

I don't know what any of these programs are that ya'll are writing about. Tell me more please!
  • Tiffany517
    Tiffany517 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Right now i am doing the 30 day shred, and i go to the gym at least 2-4 times a week and jogg/walk for 30 mins and weights at least once or twice... but i'm going to increase this once i'm done with the 30 day shred...
    I usually do the same thing but every few weeks i'll do something different just to keep it interesting.
    And i listen to th radio on my phone since my one year threw my ipodtouch in the toilet
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options

I don't have a real routine. I'm doing the 30 day shred right now. When I go to the Gym, at least once a week, I either do a zumba class or do the elliptical/treadmill for 30-45 minutes and then some strength training. I really try to do some kind of walking everyday and I do choreography once a week for my band. So I'm all over the place, cause I get bored easily.

My Ipod is my friend. It is because of my ipod that I do get out and exercise. I load new stuff all the time so that I will need to do something that allows me to listen to all the new music. I love David Guetta's music to workout too. Also I guess I do best with Pop and Alternative rock for walking, the tempos keep me going.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options

Right now my workout routine is TURBO FIRE from Beachbody with Chalene Johnson! If you want a fun, high energy workout this is it! It's so much fun you even forget that you're working out! Other than the sweat dripping off of your body! So I work out over 45 minutes everyday (but one - Love my rest day too!) :happy:

Once I'm done Turbo Fire I may try Chalene Extreme (it's more weights :cry: ) or I may give the 30 day shred a try!?!?!

As for music on my IPod.......well it bounces from Country to Christian to Top 40. I like to mix it up a bit!

Happy exercising everyone!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Right now I do strength training 2 -3 days a week

Generally its Monday - Thursday with my trainer and then Sat on my own (So that doesnt' always happen) but I try to do some pushups any day I can workup the push to do it because they are a great way to get stronger and to really see progress.

I'm also starting to take the jogging a little more seriously but I havent' officially dialed into a program like C25k - so that's Tuesday - Friday - Sunday.

Normally I would just walk on wed but yesterday I did 15 minutes on the elliptical and then 50 jump squats and 65 wood choppers and ooooooh boy was that a bad idea. my knees are upset and my left ankle is upset and my left calf is cramping today after my walk up to the starbucks and back (its a longish walk, 2 miles roundtrip) . So hopefully my PT doesnt' want to do squats today/

as for music I MOSTLY do my walking/running to high energy pop - it helps me a lot. So dance music like david guetta or pitbull is good, certain songs by other artists that are uptempo. Getting tired of listening to the same songs over and over though so I might switch over to a metal playlist (dethklok! haha) for a while.
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options

First of all let me apologize to the team for not getting my question posted "in time"....I spent most of the night up with my 10yr fighting a chest cold....with asthma....not a fun time. I meant to do it this morning, when I signed on for all of 20 minutes, before I got an emergency call and am just now returning home....almost 7 hours later...exhausted. Please forgive me...and MANY THANKS to MamaDee2 for stepping up...!!!!!

To answer the question....I am a runner so I try to do that on Mon, Wed, Fri ...except for the days that the weather doesnt cooperate. I am an OUTSIDE runner. I live in the country and the scenery is too great to stare at my basement wall on the treadmill...unless I HAVE to...lol... On the other days I like to have some fun and do Zumba!!! It burns some calories and oftern my kids do it with me and we laugh while burning !! Its great...

I listen to all kinds of music...especially when I run alone....

My goal is to incorporate more strength training into my routine!!!
  • DarleneMedeiros
    Options

Currently I am following the Chalean Extreme Program and I am loving it. I do 3 days of weights a week, 1 day of endurance and 1 day of intervals. There is also a session of ab work and a session of yoga per week. This program has two rests days, but often during those rest days i do a cardio workout from her Turbo Jam program. As you can see, I love Chalean. Her programs always has music which is very upbeat and helps me enjoy the programs.