Any other ladies lifting weights?

Options
Just wondered if there are any other ladies who are lifting weights as well as cardio, i have been using weights while doing 30 day shred but today is my first day of just the weights without dvd i did 5 different exercises 4 sets with 10 reps per exercise.
Whst is everyone ekse doing and have you had good results??

Replies

• bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Turbo Fire/Chalean Extreme hybird...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    make sure your last few reps in every set are difficult to do with good form. If you can do 10 without struggling, then try increasing the weight.

You may also want to look into the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    When i go to the gym i do probably an hour of cardio then squeeze in maybe 15 min of weights at the end and iv found it really helpful and it feels great.
    x
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I lift weights.....not heavy or anything....but I do them!! I would say if anything....losing the fat is beginning to show off the muscle I already had!! Which is really nice......beginning to like my arms more than any other part of my body!!! Jillian's 30 Day Shred really helped my upper body!!! Thanks Jillian!!!
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    make sure your last few reps in every set are difficult to do with good form. If you can do 10 without struggling, then try increasing the weight.

You may also want to look into the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"

Yes.. I was doing the workout 'New Rules of Lifting for Women'. Its absolutely fantastic. After only stage 1, I was tons stronger. That guy knows what he's talking about. Fanatastic workout. I should do it again actually. Best results I've ever had.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of weights twice a week and I run 4 to 5 times a week. The more muscle you have the more calories your burn!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. I plan to start after I finish P90X with Hubs. Great routines; awesome explanations. I'm a dummy about lifting and wanted guidance so I wouldn't hurt myself, waste my time, or end up all out of balance.
  • newvictoria
    Options
    Absolutely!

I mix in strength training - alternate that with my cardio, always have....
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    I strength train/lift weights 3x per week. The amount of weights/reps change weekly for the program I follow, called "Turn Up Your Fat Burn". I follow the exercises in the book and use the accompaning DVD once per week. I lift between 8-30lbs. I'm looking just to tone, not gain bulk. :0)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i'm 23, about 125 lbs at 5'3.5"

I do..
    Curves circuit training
    weight lifting
    elliptical
    Zumba
    yoga..

i think i have a pretty rockin' bod ;)
  • allie_girl
    Options
    Since I've added a serious strength training routine in before my cardio, I've noticed the biggest changes in my body overall. I look more fit and toned. I usually spend about 30 minutes for the weights and 30 minutes for the cardio. It ends up being a good balance. I also practice circut trianing to throw my body for a loop (weights, running, weights, running, etc). I try to switch up what I do as much as possible not to allow my body to be in a rut. My normal sets are 2 exercises, isolating a muscle group (arms, abs, upper back, legs) in 4 sets of 12.

Good luck - I think you'll see some amazing changes if you add some weights and strength training into your routine.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yuppers- I do weight with the 30DS. I use 5 and 8-lb dumbells currently, and go to the gym daily. I still need to do more strength than cardio, but I'm slowly working up to it.

The 30DS with weights REALLY gave me results!!
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You will not "tone" your muscles with light weights. Lift heavy and do a lot of compound movements!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love weights :) Been lifting properly for over a year, have had much better results than with just cardio.
    I go gym around 2-4 times a week (5 sets of max reps, move up weight on 8 reps) and do p90x other days (tend to do lighter weights/10-15reps with this)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I strength train/lift weights 3x per week. The amount of weights/reps change weekly for the program I follow, called "Turn Up Your Fat Burn". I follow the exercises in the book and use the accompaning DVD once per week. I lift between 8-30lbs. I'm looking just to tone, not gain bulk. :0)

Women do not bulk, unless they are on drugs and eating a caloric surplus. You could do 100 lbs and not bulk up. The heavier you go the better the results, and you will not bulk up, you don't have enough testosterone to do so.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I do a P90X/Insanity bybrid to get the best of weights and cardio.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options

Women do not bulk, unless they are on drugs and eating a caloric surplus. You could do 100 lbs and not bulk up. The heavier you go the better the results, and you will not bulk up, you don't have enough testosterone to do so.

Heehee, YES. We've read the same book.. Its TRUE ladies. Its kak hard for us to build muscle like a guy does. Using heavy weights just gives us that 'TONED' look, all girls are looking for.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    P90X here and loving it :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am! I lift more than some of the boys at the gym lol really has helped with some serious toning and definition, as well as my speed when running. I'm all for some ladies in the weight room!!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Currently curling 20s (10 reps x 3) and I've got some 50 lb weights that I'm lifting. Want to get into deadlifting, but not sure how to do it, so need an instructor for that. I love lifting heavy things -- it makes me feel like I've accomplished so much more than mindlessly jogging for hours on end.