how do YOU make time to work out?

Options
Part of me feels like I'm using my completely busy schedule as an excuse to not work out- so, let me have it- let me have NO more excuses. I will give you my schedule- and PLEASE let me know if you see anywhere to just go work out, because I'm consintanly making excuses- and i want the blunt truth. (Note: I prefer the gym, but I'm not sure if thats realistic anymore.) What do you think?

Monday- Up at 6. Ready for work. Drop Daughter off at school @ 8. Drive 65 miles ONE way to work. Leave work at 5. Hope at 6:30. Dinner, homework. Work job #2. Bed at 11.

Tuesday- Repeat.

Wed- Repeat. Repeat Monday--No job #2, but Dr appointment every Wed. from 630-730 then take my disabled mom grocery shopping. Bed 11.

Thursday. Repeat Monday - No Job#2 soccer practice from 6:30-7:30. home. Homework with daughter. Take mom out if needed.

Friday- Repeat Monday.

Saturday- Free except AM soccer games

Sunday Free- (usually so exhausted by this day)

realistically, I do see some time- but this is just the schedule- I'm also a student taking online classes, and this doesnt include daily crap of grocery shopping, etc. I know everyone has a schedule like this, so i just need a little guidance. hellllllp.

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 and do strength training, abs/butt

Then I work in my own office for 9-10 hours a day so I bought a peddler that I put under my desk so I can get in 2 30 min bike cardio in.

I know I won't work out after work and I know I won't wake up at 5 so I had to compromise
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You have a very busy schedule but I think you can carve out a few minutes.

Would you be able to get up about 30 minutes earlier everyday? You could do a workout video like 30 day shred or run or walk before you shower, etc.

On the days your daughter has soccer practice you could run/walk around the field while she is practicing (unless you are the coach).

I think on Saturday or Sunday you could squeeze in 30-45 minutes to go to the gym or bike ride with your daughter, etc. I don't know what your exercise goals are but that would give you at least 30 minutes a day without too much adjustment to your schedule.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wowzers, not much free time there at all is there! Maybe get a Zumba session in on Sundays? Its fun and burns calories great. Can understand if your too tired not to though!

I force myself to go to the gym monday, tuesday, thursday and fridays straight from work.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 5am instead of 6am :)
  • awkwwward
    Options
    No one can tell you where to fit it in - that's your job and quite frankly, if you don't "agree" with what someone says, it won't work anyway! That being said, I make working out a priority. I wake up early to run, walk on my lunch break and do yoga later in the day. When I used to work a little farther away, I use to park at a lot about 2 miles away and bike the rest of the distance to work and repeat the same on the way back home. Find out what works for you, what you can commit to and do it. Don't make excuses. Even if you can only fit in 3 - 4 ten minute blasts of running place or walking around the office while on the phone, that's still SOMETHING!
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    i'm assuming your daughters soccer practice? I walk/run during my kids practice, around the fields. I also picked up Jillian Michaels 30 day shred-and do it at home: 20 min workouts that you can expand on or not-whatever time you have, while your daughter does homework-or try to get up a half hour early-great wake up routine versus sitting on the couch drinking coffee.
  • koutwater
    koutwater Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Find a Zumba class on the weekends. Jump rope for 10 min. the other days (burns about 100 cals?) Do 1 strength body part a day (squats/legs 1 day, biceps the next) with weights at home for 5 min. at night. It's better than nothing! Best of luck!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by a change in diet alone.

I lost 40lbs in 2010 experimenting that way, with no added exercise.

You don't need to workout.

You are too busy.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    On Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, try putting something in a crock pot or have something you can throw in the oven. Then work out while it cooks, even if just for 30 minutes. If you could get a treadmill, you could even walk while quizzing your daughter on her homework.

Thursday and Saturday-walk or jog around the soccer field (unless you're coaching the soccer?). You can still watch the game while walking.

If you could do that, that's five times a week. The concensus is that 3 times a week is the minimum, so that gives you some leeway in case the schedule varies.

Do you have a lunch hour at work? If so, go for a brisk 20-30 minute walk, leaving you 30-40 minutes to eat lunch. I eat at my desk so that I have the full lunch hour to work out, but whether that is practical depends on your job.

You can do it...you just have to get creative!
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    Wake up at 5am instead of 6am :)

Sorry, this. It's what I have to do. Also, soccer practice is to daughters? Take a brisk walk while she practices. Thats a good hour walk a couple times per week.
  • corliss777
    Options
    Do the intense workouts on the weekend and try 30minutes of cardio 2 or 3 times during the week. You don't have to workout everyday. 3-4 times a week is good. 2 days on the weekend and 2 days during week. The morning seems like it would be the best time for you. I know I don't like to wake up extra early to workout but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Are you playing soccer? If you are watching, then maybe you can walk the sideline to get in a little exercise while you watch. Can you park your car a little further from work, or is it near/safe enough to ride a bike to/from work? On Sunday, even though you are exhausted, sometimes, a little light exercise can help recharge you. Maybe you can do some stretching exercises that day?
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    I just wanted to give you my condolences for the 65 mile commute. I had a 40 mile one for years, but it took well over an hour with traffic and non-highway driving.
  • mmm77
    mmm77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also walk around the fields during my son's soccer practice. Maybe you can take a quick walk during your lunch break? I wake up at 5:00 each morning so that I can get my work out in before I have to wake the kids up for school.
    But, Wow!! you have a busy schedule!
  • jlikennedy3
    jlikennedy3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know how you feel. Between work, church, husband, and two children, I sometimes I feel like I have no time to myself. Here is what I have started doing to try and work in 1.5-2.5 miles a day in walking. I have added the Pedometer app to my Iphone (it's free) and then during the day I try to get up from my desk at least twice for a 15 minute walk (I can usually get in 1 mile during one 15 minute walk). Sometimes I can only manage in one walk at work. Then in the evenings when I take my son to his football practice, I put the baby in the walker and take off walking while he is practicing. I can usually get another 2 miles in doing this. It doesn't seem to interfer with what I have to do to take care of my family and I have notice that I do have a lot more energy by Sunday than I use to.
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much flexibility you have in your job but I try to fit in at least three workouts each week over my lunch hour and then take lunch at my desk. If this is possible you could use that time to do a walk or find a gym near your office that you could get to easily from work. Good luck!
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My schedule:

4am: wake up, drive to gym
    4:30-5:50 time to workout(although I do not always use the whole time)
    drive home
    6a,-7:15: wake son, and cook breakfast and get him ready for school.
    7:15- 8:15: shower, get ready for work.
    9-5 work

Then I run around like a crazy person caring for my barn animals and doing housework and playing with my son. At about 10pm or so I go to bed.

I workout early because its the only time I have. Luckily, in the summer I walk instead of gym so I can sleep an extra hour. I miss that already! LOL
  • stormy213
    stormy213 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with getting up early...I'm up at 3:30 on work days. It was hard at first but once you get used to it, it is not bad. Plus I love getting my workout done for the day and not having to worry about when I'm going to squeeze it in. ( I start work at 6 so that is the reason I'm up at 3:30.)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I use my lunch hour to walk/rollerblade and then eat at my desk.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you could get to bed at 10 instead of 11, getting up at 5 is probably your best bet. It's ugly but it's the simplest solution. But I wouldn't sacrifice sleep at this point. With your schedule, rest is precious!