I know it doesn't work this way, but why not?

Options
Okay, so I've been thinking lately....

I know that you can't target problem areas :grumble:. AND I know that if you lift weights before doing cardio it depletes your glycogen levels and when you're doing the actual cardio, you're burning more fat than if you were to begin with cardio. That all makes sense to me, and I totally accept it.

My question is though, if I were to say run for 40 minutes, I would deplete the glycogen, and then my body would begin to burn fat. After those 40 minutes, if I were to do a bunch of ab work, would I not be burning more fat around my abdomen than say my thighs at that point?

It seems logical, thought I know it doesn't work that way. But can anyone tell me why?

I guess I'm just a little curious
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been thinking lately....

I know that you can't target problem areas :grumble:. AND I know that if you lift weights before doing cardio it depletes your glycogen levels and when you're doing the actual cardio, you're burning more fat than if you were to begin with cardio. That all makes sense to me, and I totally accept it.

My question is though, if I were to say run for 40 minutes, I would deplete the glycogen, and then my body would begin to burn fat. After those 40 minutes, if I were to do a bunch of ab work, would I not be burning more fat around my abdomen than say my thighs at that point?

It seems logical, thought I know it doesn't work that way. But can anyone tell me why?

I guess I'm just a little curious
    :flowerforyou:
  • kimmaboo
    kimmaboo Posts: 31
    Options
    just a thought but you muscles get food and nuritioshment from your blood not from the storage around each individual muscle and the blood stream get it from all over and delevers it to the muscle in need

just a thought but it sounds good
  • cc_003
    cc_003 Posts: 9
    Options
    im not really a fitness expert, but i know that when you loose fat, your body takes form its fat stores EVERYWHERE. its like a percentage taken away that averages out, and i dont think you can tell it where to take it form, no matter what you do, like you said. so even if you are burining more fat from doing an ab workout this way, its not contained to that area, and if anything i think this would make your muscles work harder (since you also use your whole body for cardio), making your ab workout more efficient.

i do know that people at the gym tell me do do abs last always (not exactly sure why), and also that abs heal qucikly compared to other muscle groups so you should do them every day.

and ploblem ares like abdomines or hips or wherever are like the default fat storage area of the body, that it tries to keep in case of a famine, so those areas will always be harder to get rid of.

interesting question, hope this helps =)
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    thanks!

I guess it was kind of a pointless question....because I understand completely everything and that when you do strength training you're working muscles and not fat haha (unfortunately it doesn't work like that) but it just seems like it would kind of overlap a little.

anyway, thank yall!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to deplete glycogen in just 40 minutes, first of all.
    Secondly, you are always going to use both glucose and fat, but the intensity of your exercise determines how much of each. At very low intensity or rest, you're using about 70% energy from fatty acids, but burning very few calories. At very high intensity, you're only using about 25% energy from fatty acids, but a lot of calories. And at moderate intensity, which is where you'd be running for 40 minutes, it's a 50/50 split. It takes a couple of hours of moderate intensity exercise to deplete glycogen stores--you have about 1400 calories stored up.

Doing a bunch of abdominal work doesn't burn a bunch of calories because you're only using one muscle group and you're not moving very much. Doing a bunch of abdominal work is pointless anyway because, just like any muscle group, doing 100's of repetitions with no resistance doesn't do anything.

That said, some spot conditioning is possible, but only at high volume and frequency (like bikers that bike everywhere all the time) and only VERY slightly.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Secondly, you are always going to use both glucose and fat, but the intensity of your exercise determines how much of each. At very low intensity or rest, you're using about 70% energy from fatty acids, but burning very few calories. At very high intensity, you're only using about 25% energy from fatty acids, but a lot of calories. And at moderate intensity, which is where you'd be running for 40 minutes, it's a 50/50 split. It takes a couple of hours of moderate intensity exercise to deplete glycogen stores--you have about 1400 calories stored up.

Doing a bunch of abdominal work doesn't burn a bunch of calories because you're only using one muscle group and you're not moving very much. Doing a bunch of abdominal work is pointless anyway because, just like any muscle group, doing 100's of repetitions with no resistance doesn't do anything.

That said, some spot conditioning is possible, but only at high volume and frequency (like bikers that bike everywhere all the time) and only VERY slightly.

So how do you add resistance to make abdominal exercises more effective? I've been doing crunches every day but if I am wasting my time, I'd love to know what to do differently! (And since you appear to be very much in shape, I am thinking you know what to do! :) )
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

So how do you add resistance to make abdominal exercises more effective? I've been doing crunches every day but if I am wasting my time, I'd love to know what to do differently! (And since you appear to be very much in shape, I am thinking you know what to do! :) )

I don't always add resistance, but I do things that are challenging enough that I don't have to do tons of reps and that are specific to what the abdominal muscles are used for--stabilization.

I do regular and decline sit ups--the decline adds resistance by hanging you upside down. I also perform bicycle crunches because they require your abs to be constantly engaged along with your hip flexors.

I do a LOT OF PLANKS. This is what your abs are made to do. Regular planks, side planks, regular planks with pushups and side planks combined. When I say I do a 'lot', I mean I do really long ones. I usually do them after a couple sets of sit ups so I'm already fatigued.

I also perform exercises with the exercise ball. I perform jack knife push ups and pikes.

knock1q.jpg

^ That is a pike. You start with the ball under your feet in a push up position, and, keeping legs straight, pull it in.

A jack knife push up involves a pushup with feet on the exercise ball. You push up, and at the top, pull your feet in, keeping your back level. Then push back out and perform another push up.

I don't really bother with crunches. Yes, they engage your abdominals, but they are uni-taskers and don't feel like much to me. I perform full range sit ups--which are not bad for your back if you do them *correctly*--and other exercises that use the entire core (abs, obliques, and hip flexors).
  • writer4him
    Options

I don't always add resistance, but I do things that are challenging enough that I don't have to do tons of reps and that are specific to what the abdominal muscles are used for--stabilization.

I do regular and decline sit ups--the decline adds resistance by hanging you upside down. I also perform bicycle crunches because they require your abs to be constantly engaged along with your hip flexors.

I do a LOT OF PLANKS. This is what your abs are made to do. Regular planks, side planks, regular planks with pushups and side planks combined. When I say I do a 'lot', I mean I do really long ones. I usually do them after a couple sets of sit ups so I'm already fatigued.

I also perform exercises with the exercise ball. I perform jack knife push ups and pikes.

knock1q.jpg

^ That is a pike. You start with the ball under your feet in a push up position, and, keeping legs straight, pull it in.

A jack knife push up involves a pushup with feet on the exercise ball. You push up, and at the top, pull your feet in, keeping your back level. Then push back out and perform another push up.

I don't really bother with crunches. Yes, they engage your abdominals, but they are uni-taskers and don't feel like much to me. I perform full range sit ups--which are not bad for your back if you do them *correctly*--and other exercises that use the entire core (abs, obliques, and hip flexors).

Ok, you're my hero! Look at you go in that photo! :)

I've been doing bicycle crunches and they kill me and I've been trying to do plank pushups (can do 10 at most - I know I am pathetic). I was doing regular sit ups but was afraid of hurting my back. Thanks for the help.
  • writer4him
    Options
    PS...sorry Lightenup for taking over your thread!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

knock1q.jpg

Ok, you're my hero! Look at you go in that photo! :)

I've been doing bicycle crunches and they kill me and I've been trying to do plank pushups (can do 10 at most - I know I am pathetic). I was doing regular sit ups but was afraid of hurting my back. Thanks for the help.

LOL Thank you, but that's not me! :laugh: That is just a buff lady doing a pike.

Bicycle crunches are the only crunch that I like. Plank push ups are a great multitasker because you have to stabilize the entire time. 10 is NOT pathetic, that's great! Most people can't do any at all. A regular push up is fine if you use proper form. Your back should remain straight and stable, your chin should not come to your chest, and you shouldn't pull on your neck. Most people have terrible form, so they hurt themselves and propagate the rumor that they're bad for you.