Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-October 2011

Options

Replies

• AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Katie, and I am newly pregnant! Just over 4 weeks along now with my first. So I have officially switched from weight loss mode into maintenance mode until I need to up my calories for the baby =)

Hope you don't mind me joining you all! I'm looking forward to trying to make this as healthy of a pregnancy as I can! And congrats to all of you on your pregnancies!

Yay!! I was hoping you'd find this board. Welcome!!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Congrats Andrea!!

Rayna: My dept is also small, and my Controller mentioned that they plan on hiring a temp while I am out. Not sure if they'll hire before I leave and if they don't :ohwell: The HR lady and I will have a meeting soon about maternity leave. Anyways, glad you are proactive on your ML and good luck with your manager.

Babeed- Sorry, you are still experiencing nausea, and hope you can integrate the proteins you can tolerate to eat. Lentils are a good protein source.

Well other than that i skipped on the workout tonight, but will do something tomorrow. :yawn:
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    Morning!!!

Andrea - CONGRATS!!! That is so wonderful!

Rayna - I think its a great idea to bring it up now and seriously say what you said here...that you want to get all of your ducks in a row because you know you're going into a busy season and you want to help out as much as possible in the planning process if needed. I am sure the conversation will be productive...and I wish you luck chica! When I first told my employer she said that we would just carry on with business as usual and then come December we would talk about a game plan. So I have been doing my research as far as how much time I am taking off and everything else...and kinda want to have the conversation a little earlier...so we'll see!! But good luck...I am sure it will go well :)

svgarcia - with constipation...I feel like every body is so different and you just need to know what makes yours tick...I know that when I am not getting enough water throughout the day I have issues. Also eating healthy is key...grains, fiber, fresh fruit and veggies!!

Heather - I know I have only been on this board for a little while...but from what I have read and your pictures...you have been doing so amazing!! Slowing down is not the end of the world...just think-this is a time in our lives where we are creating a miracle inside of us...then we have forever to get back to where we were and continue to be healthy for ourselves and our family. You seriously look amazing girl and you're at 35 weeks wooowhoooo!!!

So last night I went to my prenatal yoga class and LOVED it!!!! The instructor was amazing and all the ladies in there were just fabulous! We went through and introduced ourselves and said where we were in our pregnancy and just talked about what our experience has been like which was great because we got some good conversations going! Although we only did about 20 minutes of yoga because of the introductions...I know it will be a super beneficial class!!!!

Goals for the day: no 'random' snacking, drink LOTS of water and walk tonight with the neighbors!!

Have a great day!!!
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    Babeed: Yay on glucose results being negative! Thank you for bringing up the topic of protein. I didn't realize that I wasn't getting enough daily until the discussion opened up.

Thanks to everyone for the protein talk. Very helpful information.

Paulandrea: Congratulations!

Heather: I wouldn't classify as defeat given how incredibly active you still are. This isn't a question of willpower; its obvious you have plenty of that. If suddenly you were giving into laziness or the 'I just don't feel like it tonight' attitude, I would question defeat, but that's not you. One of the most repeated approaches on this board to determining what our bodies should/can be pushed to during pregnancy is, 'listen to your body'. This is how you have determined your personal limits throughout your pregnancy. Why stop now? I agree with your husband. Please consider this...How would you feel if you were unable to follow your birth plan because you pushed yourself too hard, and didn't listen to your body? I know that is something that only you can answer, but I would be extremely upset with myself. Hope this helps in making you feel better about not completing every daily activity you have planned.

Better_Balance: Awesome that you have decided on a daycare! That should take a lot of stress off your plate.

Kristy_estes21: I laughed at your 'smooth sailing' comment!
    Yay on your faster pace! Thats great!
    I too had trouble sleeping on my side. I am naturally a back sleeper, and as soon as I hit my second trimester I did everything I could to sleep on my side. But I was miserable! I would wake every day with knots across my entire back, and I was sleeping so lightly that I wasn't resting. So I purchased a basic body pillow from Target which helped, but I was so stressed and paranoid about not sleeping on my back that I wasn't sleeping well, and I was tensing up so badly while sleeping that my back muscles were making me miserable. So then I thought about it, and I talked to my mom (who has 5 children, 4 pregnancies (twins)), and decided that I needed to let my body do what was natural. For hundreds and hundreds of years, prior to all this new information about optimal circulation and sleeping on our left side, pregnant women just slept at night. It was not a conscious decision. I know as soon as I hit the second trimester it was no longer comfortable to sleep on my belly. So that's been out. And though I haven't experienced it yet, I'm sure my mom is right in that as soon as my belly gets big and HEAVY enough, sleeping on my back won't be comfortable anymore either. Which means I will be sleeping on my side at the point in pregnancy when its the most important (because the baby will be at its heaviest, placing the most pressure on the the aorta and vena cava). Don't get me wrong, I fall asleep on my side, and I wake up throughout the night and adjust back onto my side, but I've stopped being so paranoid about it. I just sleep. Getting any sleep whether on your side or your back, is better than getting no sleep or miserable sleep. I hope this helps!!!

My husband and I finally finished the Choc-Oat-Chip cookies I made. So that should help keep me from splurging every night. Only was able to get in a quick half-hour walk last night with the pups, but I figured it was better than nothing (had twice the walk planned). Yoga and another walk today, though I plan for the full hour (hopefully over 3 miles). Poached Steel-head trout for dinner last night, with a side of brown rice and swiss chard. Was yummy! Leftovers tonight which will work out just fine because I know its going to be a full night.

Can anyone share any (easier) lunch ideas with decent protein components? Outside of bringing leftovers, I usually reach for the PB&J on wheat. Need help in this area. Thanks!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Just wanting to pose a question out there to you ladies for some discussion - what are everyone's thoughts on using disposable diapers vs. cloth diapers?? I'm still on the fence about what we're going to do...would love to hear your opinions! :smile:

My husband and I are deciding this right now! We are leaning towards the Bum Genius cloth diapers... I have a friend that has used that brand and it worked out great for her. They are a bit pricey but an investment... We are going to register for them along with everything else.

We figure we can use them for when we have baby #2 as well. We are choosing cloth for the extended cost savings of buying disposable and the environmental impact. Plus, I have read that if you use cloth is basically eliminates any diaper rash because there are no synthetic material rubbing on the babies bottom.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Rosanna...as far as lunches go, I usually take a salad with light dressing with some cottage cheese and wheat crackers or bread with a light yogurt. Then some fruit and granola bars for snacks. Otherwise I do turkey and cheese on whole wheat with baby carrots and a yogurt. Or leftovers, tuna, something like that. I keep lots of things on hand at home that are quick to grab and take to work. I don't have a lot of time in the mornings! Good luck!
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Morning!! hope everyone got their daily excercise in last night!
    I wasn't able to do any walking. Dinner got started late, which lead to cleaning the kitchen late and then it was too dark to try to go out. Will try again today.

Paula, congrats on your new bundle of joy!! A girl!! What a blessing and a joy! I'm sure you guys are just estatic!

Rosanna- your very welcome. I learned quite a bit myself about protien. Glad we are all able to share our experiences, so we can all learn together. Definitely an advantage we have over our mothers/grandmothers (who didnt have MFP)!!

Body pillows- I'm a tummy sleeper. needless to say that I can't sleep on my tummy anymore. So hubby and I went the "frugal" route and purchased a down pillow from Anna's Linens (similar to Bed Bath and Beyond-but more cost effective) and have designated it my tummy pillow. I tuck a little under my tummy when on my side and presto...comfy comfy.

As far as maternity leave- thats something that I haven't done. Do we call HR for that?? Right now I'm having a field day with my health insurance that is coming up for renewal and it's NOT looking very pretty for 2012!!!!!:grumble:
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Luckily, I haven't really experienced any constipation. Maybe like once, but other than that it's been smooth sailing, so-to-speak. (haha!) Okay, that was kinda gross, but made me chuckle. lol
    The prune juice should help. Hopefully the 7-Up will make it taste better. Do you like eating prunes at all? I like the orange essence ones. Maybe incorporate those into your daily diet and that'll help.

You are so lucky on the poop deck! I wish I could have a normal bm... Its a gross subject but hey, everybody poops!

So far, I feel like a bunny with little pellets coming out. I tried prune juice (most disgusting thing in the world!) I don't know if I can stomach the stuff... I was gagging it down and actually had some of it come back up. So I pose this question to everyone. What are some other ways to increase the movement of the bowels? I am getting desperate.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question for you ladies that are in your second tri. I went for what I thought was going to be a 6 mile walk and only did 3 miles. The problem that I'm having is this. I feel like stretching or pulling or some sort of uncomfortable feeling on my lower abdomen. I guess maybe ligaments. Has anybody else experienced this and do you know what it is? I'm starting to freak out because although I wasn't sprint walking or anything I have an event next weekend. YIKES!!!!
    HELP!

Andrea, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! How fun! I guess, everyone on here is right. Girls are very poplular on this board! HA!

Katie: Welcome and congratulations on this fun and interesting, but very special journey!!!!!

XOXO
    Elce
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Luckily, I haven't really experienced any constipation. Maybe like once, but other than that it's been smooth sailing, so-to-speak. (haha!) Okay, that was kinda gross, but made me chuckle. lol
    The prune juice should help. Hopefully the 7-Up will make it taste better. Do you like eating prunes at all? I like the orange essence ones. Maybe incorporate those into your daily diet and that'll help.

You are so lucky on the poop deck! I wish I could have a normal bm... Its a gross subject but hey, everybody poops!

So far, I feel like a bunny with little pellets coming out. I tried prune juice (most disgusting thing in the world!) I don't know if I can stomach the stuff... I was gagging it down and actually had some of it come back up. So I pose this question to everyone. What are some other ways to increase the movement of the bowels? I am getting desperate.

Peaches, I was having a similar problem I eneded up getting Benefiber. I take it 3 x a day as directed and sprinkle it on my food. No taste what so ever and fixed my problem.
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Ok, I have a question for you ladies that are in your second tri. I went for what I thought was going to be a 6 mile walk and only did 3 miles. The problem that I'm having is this. I feel like stretching or pulling or some sort of uncomfortable feeling on my lower abdomen. I guess maybe ligaments. Has anybody else experienced this and do you know what it is? I'm starting to freak out because although I wasn't sprint walking or anything I have an event next weekend. YIKES!!!!
    HELP!

XOXO
    Elce

Elce,
    Those lower ab pains are Round Ligament Pains and from what my doctor told me they can be extremely painful (as I found out) he said there is no "fix" for the pain but did recommend getting a belly band for support. He said the pain wouldn't go away but the band would definitely help.

I get the pains so badly that it literally makes me waddle when I walk....the inside joke in the office is that if I'm not back from the bathroom in 10 min then someone needs to go look for me!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Lots to follow up on!

Emrogers - when I got back to running a couple weeks ago I was having these feelings too. Not pain really, just pulling. I think kirstinbee told me she had similar experience when running. I have noticed it has gotten better as I have continued to run weekly.

Rayna - my boss and my converstaion went something like this, "how long are you taking off?" Me, "12 weeks". Boss, "OK." Per FMLA I am allowed 12 weeks so will take it. I work at an engineering firm in a department of 5 and we all work closely. There are certainly tasks that only I do so I guess I will just have to plan my projects accordingly while gone. I also have remote login on my laptop, so if necessary I can work from home on maternity leave. I am not offering, but am not against as my leave is unpaid and I can be "hourly" while gone. I agree that it will take some planning to fill any position, especially for a year. I agree you need to voice all of your concerns to your boss; you don't want anything coming back on you. Good luck!

Rosana - I eat a lot of corn tortillas with random toppings. I keep them and a bunch of stuff (cheese, sour cream, spinach, canned chicken, chopped cooked chicken, salsa, refried beans, black beans, hummus, deli meat - warmed up) to put on about 3 tortillas (45 cals each) and nuke it all till cheese melts and spinach wilts. That has been my go to for a couple years.

I got my yoga in last night and I feel great today! I am sore in many places and have not been in quite some time. It was a slow flow ashtanga class and the instructor was great. It was my first time in yoga since becoming preggo and she told me modifications to do and even propped me up for savasanah. I have 9 more classes at that studio and then will probably get back into yoga at my gym for a bit maybe. Speaking of gym, I am thinking I will be canceling my membership shortly. I talked to my sister and told her about it and basically realized with our new home gym I would only be missing out on group yoga and the pool. She asked me, "When do you plan on swimming once the baby comes?" Good question. I am not a morning person and doubt I will want to spend time after work away from her at least in the beginning. I think after this month I may quit the gym and pick up classes at yoga studios when they run specials which happens a lot. I can always rejoin.

Hope you all have great days!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Rosana - I eat a lot of corn tortillas with random toppings. I keep them and a bunch of stuff (cheese, sour cream, spinach, canned chicken, chopped cooked chicken, salsa, refried beans, black beans, hummus, deli meat - warmed up) to put on about 3 tortillas (45 cals each) and nuke it all till cheese melts and spinach wilts. That has been my go to for a couple years.

That sounds fantastic!!! Now I'm hungry. lol
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Emrogers...yes, I also have the lower ab tightness when I run...but I just listen to my body. If it gets too bad then I walk. Seems to be okay though, especially as I continue to run.

Betterbalance...the tortillas sound wonderful! I may have to try...thanks for sharing!

Well...I did the Lindsay Brin 2nd trimester strength/cardio workout last night and it's a good one! Can feel it in my arms and shoulders today! So that's good...I was hoping it would still be challenging enough! Tonights plan is some yoga. Or maybe a run if the weather doesn't get to warm...we shall see...

Have a great morning!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Babeed, I’m with you, I can barely stomach the recommended amount of protein. Being vegetarian for years before we started TTC I have a real hard time even today to get all my protein in. It’s actually worse now that it makes me feel full and gross. Best of luck and if you find anything that works for you please share I’d try anything new at least one.

Svgarcia, I haven’t had too much issues with constipation but I think that’s because of all the fruit I eat, I have a hard time digesting the veggies but my body loves and craves the fruit. So maybe just try adding a few extra fruits to your usual snacks if you don’t want to drink the prune juice.

Rayna, let us know how it goes, I’m in the same boat. I’ll be leaving a pretty small department during our busiest time of year and will be having to train my coworkers on my tasks (they’re too cheap to hire a temp to replace anyone) whom are already overworked as it is.

Heather, I second what the other girls are saying. You are amazing, and slowing down isn’t defeat. You only have a few more weeks left so enjoy this being time to prepare for labor rather than an active lifestyle. You’ll be back doing your Tracy Anderson Method in no time.

Elce, I’ve been having lower abdomen cramps like crazy too (to the point my back is aching) but it happens at all times in the day and night, not just while working out. It’s supposedly normal, but if you feel too hesitant about it ask your Dr. before doing the event next weekend.
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    Better_Balance - I think you lit a little fire under me...I have been going back and forth on canceling my gym membership for a while now and I think today is the day I cancel it for good. With my new job I can use the gym here for free and I also like getting outside whenever possible!!!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Babeed, you just cracked me up!!!! Good stuff!! Thanks for all the input.

Kristinbee: Ok, so normal I'm glad, yes, its like a tightness that I feel. Ugh!!! it becomes frustrating when I can't even walk!! Geez. Thanks for your input.

Better_Balance: so maybe if I just do more walking it'll get better. i'm going out again tomorrow and Saturday, hopefully, then some again next week before the event. Hopefully it won't be so bad for the event. :(

Wish me luck ladies!!! But you are awesome!!!!! You would think that I would know this stuff w/it being my second but its been 12 years!! and the first one I did NOTHING!! just slept, hence why I gained 50lbs!!!! Ha!
    Thanks
    Elce
  • erd2011
    erd2011 Posts: 15
    Options
    kristenbee, the Lindsay Brin DVDs are good, aren't they? I find her REALLY annoying (especially "buncakes" argh) but like the exercises. I graduated to the 3rd trimester DVD a couple weeks ago and I'm really glad to have a yoga option that doesn't involve a lot of downward dog or other bending over.

I'm afraid of her post-partum bootcamp. ;)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Better_Balance - I think you lit a little fire under me...I have been going back and forth on canceling my gym membership for a while now and I think today is the day I cancel it for good. With my new job I can use the gym here for free and I also like getting outside whenever possible!!!

You go do it today girl!!! I canceled mine membership when Summer came, and I end up going outside a lot (running, walking & biking) this year. I also bought adjustable weights at home for those days I'm not going any where. We have a very small gym at work too, but I feel more comfortable doing my weight training at home.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What/where has everyone gotten for nursery furniture??? I've been thinking about a set from JCPenny's, but keep going back & forth about it....