alcohol downfall

Options
Im worried as the weekend approaches,that I will drink then eat, more calories than planned (which often happens) Ive been so focused this week after finding this site. weekends are my problem area.I d be interested in advice !:

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Having one cheat day is OK. If you keep on depriving yourself, you may wind up bingeing.
    Just keep in mind some of the tools this site has taught you while you cheat.
    You could also exercise that day, therefore increasing your daily caloric allowance.
    On Saturdays, I usually cheat, but still log what I eat.
    Cheat, but dont go overboard :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My advice is you're gonna have to not drink and eat so much.

You know its gonna happen, so don't do it.

Easy.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I feel kind of stupid saying it, but don't drink so much so that your judgement regarding your eating is compromised?
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My advice is you're gonna have to not drink and eat so much.

You know its gonna happen, so don't do it.

Easy.

The alternative is to exercise enough to have more calories available to you for splurges you know are going to happen.
  • WerePlatypus
    WerePlatypus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Treat it like any other day; budget the # of drinks you will have and exactly what you will eat. I always try to 'bank' some extra calories by working out that day - both weights and cardio.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka and diet mixers as they're the lowest cal drinks (60cals) , and try to stay out til after the take aways close! Also I try to tire myself out through drinking/dancing/walking/sexing so that when I get home after I night out I'm just ready to collapse,and I'm too tired to eat whether im starving or not!
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Drink a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage. Have healthy binge food on hand...raw veggies and dip or hummus. Drink clear liquor with a non calorie mixer. You can still have fun, just make a few adjustments. And if you do go on a major bender, get up Saturday, suck down the water and work out with a hangover. Will make you think twice next time :drinker:
  • louisebear
    Options
    enjoy it the the fullest !!! im going out to get hammered on saturday, just make sure you start afresh the next day :O)
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It sucks but I gave up alcohol. When my friends go out, I get water. Last weekend we went sake bombing and to karaoke on Friday and Saturday and I didnt drink either time. It sucks being the sober one or denying yourself a good time but I still had fun and was gladI didnt drink, because thats liquid calories, and when I drink I always want to eat after.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Replace a bad habit with a good one. Find a new hobby like mountain biking and make new friends that are into your hobby to hang out with. That way you burn extra calories and do something good for yourself.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I feel kind of stupid saying it, but don't drink so much so that your judgement regarding your eating is compromised?

Much agreed~
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Replace a bad habit with a good one. Find a new hobby like mountain biking and make new friends that are into your hobby to hang out with. That way you burn extra calories and do something good for yourself.

Now this is and a great idea. .. ..
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options
    Planning is key! If you know where you're going, look up calories online before you step in the door and get an idea of what you want. If you exercise that da, you can have more :-) Limit yourself to one to two drinks if you know you're going to want mixed drinks. Or you can get low calorie beers. Vodka water with lime is also a good substitue for mixed drink and only 60-70 calories for the same amount of alcohol as most mixed drinks. The Skinny Girl Margarita is also a good choice if you're a margarita girl like me...only 100 calories :-). You could also ask your waiter/waitress to pre-pack half of your order to-go. Then you've got a guaranteed meal for later and you don't have to worry about over-doing it just bc it's on your plate.

If you've had a great week, don't beat yourself up if you go over a little on your calories. Like XOX said...just don't go overboard.
  • Scott_Parkinson
    Scott_Parkinson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Having one bad day in a week isn't going to hamper your weight loss very much. If you don't go completely overboard, you'll be okay. Having a drink or two won't hurt, but if you're that concerned about it, take an extra five or ten minutes in the gym or at home. If I'm planning getting take-out during the weekend, I try and be sure that I have either met, or exceeded my exercise goal for the week.....that way I can indulge in pizza or fast-food once a week and not feel terrible about it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm a drinker so I'm not going to say "don't drink". I just plan ahead on weekends. I work out a little more in the morning, I plan a healthy but "munchie' type food to have on hand - nachos made with low fat meat, beans and cheese. Homemade pizza with wholemeal crust and low fat cheese. Crustinis with whatever strikes my fancy (wholemeal baguette, of course). Baked chicken fingers with hot sauce. Just think of what you usually pig out on, and make a healthy version of it. If it's sweets you crave try some of those Skinny Cow desserts.

You might me a little over on calories but not nearly as much as if you ate junk.
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a drinker so I'm not going to say "don't drink". I just plan ahead on weekends. I work out a little more in the morning, I plan a healthy but "munchie' type food to have on hand - nachos made with low fat meat, beans and cheese. Homemade pizza with wholemeal crust and low fat cheese. Crustinis with whatever strikes my fancy (wholemeal baguette, of course). Baked chicken fingers with hot sauce. Just think of what you usually pig out on, and make a healthy version of it. If it's sweets you crave try some of those Skinny Cow desserts.

You might me a little over on calories but not nearly as much as if you ate junk.

I'm also a drinker and face the same exact problem. I do well all week with both diet and exercise then blow it on the weekend and then have to make up for it the next week---a vicious and frustrating cycle.
    I like the advice from bcattoes It's realistic and do-able. I'd add the recommendation from another post to drink a glass of water in between each drink. It will force you to 'pace' your alcohol and will also help keep you full. I also try to make sure I work out on a day I know I'm going to be consuming a little extra.

Great post and disucssion. Thanks for bringing it to the community!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Exercise more to earn the cals, drink lower cal drinks such as vodka and diet coke, make sure you opt for healthy snacks - my current fave is fried light halloumi (75 cals for 30g).

Do not feel guilty if you go over a every now and then - every day is a new day!
  • WerePlatypus
    WerePlatypus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exercise more to earn the cals, drink lower cal drinks such as vodka and diet coke, make sure you opt for healthy snacks - my current fave is fried light halloumi (75 cals for 30g).

Do not feel guilty if you go over a every now and then - every day is a new day!

I thought I was the only one that drinks Vodka + Diet Coke!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i struggle hugely with this. if you can, exercise more so you get to eat more - and budget in one or two drinks into it. that way you can still have a drink but not go over.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm also a drinker and face the same exact problem. I do well all week with both diet and exercise then blow it on the weekend and then have to make up for it the next week---a vicious and frustrating cycle.
    I like the advice from bcattoes It's realistic and do-able. I'd add the recommendation from another post to drink a glass of water in between each drink. It will force you to 'pace' your alcohol and will also help keep you full. I also try to make sure I work out on a day I know I'm going to be consuming a little extra.

Great post and disucssion. Thanks for bringing it to the community!

A really simple and filling but not overly high calorie munchie that even my husband loves is nacho bites. I take Tostioes scoops, fill them with seasoned mashed pinto beans, top each with a jalapeno slice and a bit of 2% milk cheese. Pop in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese and serve with a little salsa.