What do you eat after you've thrown up?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know it's a "no-no" when you are on a diet, but white rice is one of the most easily digested foods. Try small amounts of it until you are better.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I was just sick, too, with some kind of bug. My doc told me to use the BRAT diet (someone mentioned this already). I also drank diet ginger ale. As I began to feel better, I moved to chicken noodle soup. Saltines are good, too.

Hope you feel better! If you have what I had, it really makes you feel like crap.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The Doctor always told me water only for 24 hours. After that broth, crackers, tea, toast.
  • wendorfa
    Options
    Water is very hard on the stomach so I'd stick w/ Gatorade or the like in addition to the BRAT diet. Also, instead of waiting for soda to sit out and get 'flat', you can pour some into a glass, then pour that into another glass, and do that back and forth, it quickly loses a lot of it's fizz. My daughter's doctor taught me that little trick.
  • krik84
    krik84 Posts: 47
    Options
    I just picture eating different foods in my mind until I get to one that doesn't sound revolting (usually a little peanut butter on toast or crackers)
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    BRAT Diet:
    Bananas Rice Applesauce and Toast.

This what I always do with the kids
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds

Almost but needs to be the double quarter pounder with cheese meal, large sized with a coke. Add an apple pie to finish it off.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    BRAT Diet:

Don't force yourself to eat just because you think you should.. it's only going to make it worse. Ride the sickness out and then resume eating like normal.

YES!!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have bananas & rice in the house at the moment, and a few crackers. So, I will try that and see how it works. Then, I suppose I can head to the store to buy some more stuff after that. Thank you all for your suggestions! Very helpful!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    BRAT Diet:

Don't force yourself to eat just because you think you should.. it's only going to make it worse. Ride the sickness out and then resume eating like normal.

YES!!

I can't face either bananas OR applesauce when I'm sick, so for me it's thinned cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup (has some sodium, is mild-flavored and is easy to digest) and/or a cheddar cheese grilled cheese sandwich made with very little cheese (mostly a toast experience).
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    BRAT is it! Next add other bland food.. no diary
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    When I have been sick through illness I usually go for dry toast, crackers or a dry biscuit/cookie, when I am sick through hangover though I have a bacon roll and big glass of Irn Bru (Scottish cure all :laugh: )
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My mother always taught me to eat foods that have sugar in them; you will not eat a lot of carbs because your body probably won't be able to handle them.

Here's my remedy as weird as it is:
    1) dry toast
    2) warm jello (drink it warm, do not let it set!) --> usually 8oz of water with about 2 tbs of a jello mix of your choice. DO NOT USE SUGAR FREE!!!!! :)

Hope this helps; feel better!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    bananas, saltines, and gatorade are the belly ache go to's in our house.
  • rachel1496
    Options
    BRAT diet (it works for the other end too :smile: ) flat gingerale or ginger tea and lots of fluids.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Sublimely:
    Quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds

Nah - she isn't trying to *make* herself sick. You're getting confused with dietary recovery, and lining your vein walls with lard. An easy mistake to make
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    OP - Hope you're feeling better soon. Very simple foods is the key.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My doc recommends non-citrus gatorade or powerade, ginger ale, regular coke, and chicken broth. I just sip it VERY slowly, and you can tell when it is going to stay down after a while. then add bland crackers, and work up from there. Don't go a whole day without nutrients!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    BRAT diet...and coke syrup (can buy at the pharmacy). pour a little over ice and just sip it, no carbonation so it helps to settle the tummy.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Actually, my pediatrician says that docs have recently changed their minds about the BRAT diet, and about how to eat after throwing up...

Our doc goes to Johns Hopkins to keep up to date on these things -- and recent studies found that the body gets back to normal more quickly by eating as normally as you can -- in other words, eat whatever feels good to you, and try to get back to eating your normal diet as quickly as is possible. The biggest thing to watch is sugar, which irritates the stomach -- so don't overdo it on the Gatorade and soda.

He also recommended a natural probiotic capsule called "Flora-stor" -- it's found in most drugstores, and in some grocery stores. It's basically lots of the probiotics found in yogurts, but in a more powerful form. They make it for kids (in a powder form that you can put in a drink) and for adults. My husband's doc gave it to him after a bad stomach flu when his body couldn't get back on track. Since it's all natural, there's no harm. It's a little expensive, but now we keep it in our medicine drawer all the time. It usually takes only a day or 2 of doses for it to have a big effect.

Good luck!