What do you eat after you've thrown up?

2»

Replies

• AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    BRAT is it! Next add other bland food.. no diary
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    When I have been sick through illness I usually go for dry toast, crackers or a dry biscuit/cookie, when I am sick through hangover though I have a bacon roll and big glass of Irn Bru (Scottish cure all :laugh: )
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 130 Member
    My mother always taught me to eat foods that have sugar in them; you will not eat a lot of carbs because your body probably won't be able to handle them.

Here's my remedy as weird as it is:
    1) dry toast
    2) warm jello (drink it warm, do not let it set!) --> usually 8oz of water with about 2 tbs of a jello mix of your choice. DO NOT USE SUGAR FREE!!!!! :)

Hope this helps; feel better!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    bananas, saltines, and gatorade are the belly ache go to's in our house.
  • BRAT diet (it works for the other end too :smile: ) flat gingerale or ginger tea and lots of fluids.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,262 Member
    Sublimely:
    Quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds

Nah - she isn't trying to *make* herself sick. You're getting confused with dietary recovery, and lining your vein walls with lard. An easy mistake to make
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,262 Member
    OP - Hope you're feeling better soon. Very simple foods is the key.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    My doc recommends non-citrus gatorade or powerade, ginger ale, regular coke, and chicken broth. I just sip it VERY slowly, and you can tell when it is going to stay down after a while. then add bland crackers, and work up from there. Don't go a whole day without nutrients!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member
    BRAT diet...and coke syrup (can buy at the pharmacy). pour a little over ice and just sip it, no carbonation so it helps to settle the tummy.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Actually, my pediatrician says that docs have recently changed their minds about the BRAT diet, and about how to eat after throwing up...

Our doc goes to Johns Hopkins to keep up to date on these things -- and recent studies found that the body gets back to normal more quickly by eating as normally as you can -- in other words, eat whatever feels good to you, and try to get back to eating your normal diet as quickly as is possible. The biggest thing to watch is sugar, which irritates the stomach -- so don't overdo it on the Gatorade and soda.

He also recommended a natural probiotic capsule called "Flora-stor" -- it's found in most drugstores, and in some grocery stores. It's basically lots of the probiotics found in yogurts, but in a more powerful form. They make it for kids (in a powder form that you can put in a drink) and for adults. My husband's doc gave it to him after a bad stomach flu when his body couldn't get back on track. Since it's all natural, there's no harm. It's a little expensive, but now we keep it in our medicine drawer all the time. It usually takes only a day or 2 of doses for it to have a big effect.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.