Women and weight training

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yep, I lift heavy and I don't look like that. That takes enhancements or hormonal imbalances and hours in the gym more than I have time to deal with, that's just crazy.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am eating at maintenance, eating my exercise calories. Lift heavy 3 times a week, run once or twice a week and lost a total of 6 inches in 6 weeks. It really work.
  • mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I have one question too. Can I do cardio and lifting in the same session? I usually do cardio first for 45 minutes and then lift.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this a little more.

Sadly that lady (the first one not Jamie) isn't always what women are afraid of. Some women are afraid of any bulk, or the "hard" look. It's silly really and makes me sad (for them, not for myself). It's been a while but I've had women look at my arms in thinly veiled disgust at the gym.

IMAG0473-1-1.jpg

Even THAT is "too bulky" for some.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    JamieEasonPicture.jpg

she is SO not nasty...and the reason why I got into bodybuilding lol
    Who is this lady? She has the kind of body I want (and her frame is similar to mine to boot!). :love:
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Jamie Eason
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

great post
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Great Post! Thank You:flowerforyou:
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    "I don't wanna get all bulky n *kitten*"

I see this alot whether it be from emails here on MFP, co-workers, or friends on Facebook. This is a common thinking from alot of women that if they lift weights then they are going to get all bulky and big like this:

steroidpic.jpg

(Ok for those guys that think this is hot, please take your right hand, grab the back of your head, and push down hard enough so it slams on your desk)

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility for any head injury you may receive based on the instruction above.

First. This ^^^ This = awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

Things I heard from women (and men) when I worked in the fitness industry that drove me insane:
    "I don't want to get bulky, what exercises can I do that will keep me from getting all muscle-y" (Yes, muscle-y. I hated that!)
    "I heard women should never lift more than 5 lbs"
    "I'm not making in progress" followed by "Oh no, I don't want to increase the weights- then I'll get too big"
    "Muscle weighs more than fat- I don't want to lift weights so I can lose weight"
    "I don't want to do guy exercises!" or, from men,
    "Don't you have a male trainer here? I don't want to learn women's workouts"

I haven't done any serious lifting in a while, but reading through this post has reminded me of how much I miss it! Time to start planning a new routine! I've got to get all muscle-y again! :laugh:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I want to lift and be nice and toned but I have big question How much should I be lifiting ? I have 5 pound weights I did P90X chest back and it seem to easy so I was wondering what weight should I go up to ? Do you think P90X counts as weight training? i kinda think it does since it has a lot of lifiting included

Ahh yea, missed this post. Yea I'm not so sure about p90x because I've never done it, and it follows it's own regime so not sure if lifting heavy would work with it or not. From my understanding p90x is a high intensity circuit with weights that you do over 90 days. Isn't it like a longer version of the 30DS? Not sure though.

As far as your email regarding 40/40/20. You can do that, but I always aim for grams.

Example:

.5-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you don't know this, then just go by your bodyweight.
    .35-.75g of fats per lb of bodyweight.

Then either put the rest in carbs, or you can do IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and just eat whatever you'd like to get your daily calorie intake based on your goals.

Look at my blog on IIFYM. It explains what this is exactly.

Talk to u soon.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I want to lift and be nice and toned but I have big question How much should I be lifiting ? I have 5 pound weights I did P90X chest back and it seem to easy so I was wondering what weight should I go up to ? Do you think P90X counts as weight training? i kinda think it does since it has a lot of lifiting included

P90X is DEFINITELY weight training. You just have to up your weight. I do it so I can only do 10-15 reps of each exercise.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Could you come to my gym and shout this out in the lobby? This entire thing? Thanks.

Hack squats, single leg deadlifts, lunges, and leg presses are what got many famous booties famous.

I like to ask the "I don't want to get MUSCLES" ladies: So, you have bones, fat, and muscle. Out of the three, which EXACTLY is your goal? Because bones+fat is what we should all be working toward, I guess?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am tired of people thinking women will bulk up if they lift.

I think a lot of times it's simply a disconnect in the meaning of "bulk", For example, the OP speaks of not bulking up, then gives instruction on how to gain more muscle. Yet, my definition of "bulking up" is gaining more muscle. Personally, I don't want more muscle than I have. I just want the muscles I have to be "toned". This is why I use mostly body weight exercises for strength and never more than 10 lb weights. Because I don't want to bulk up with new muscle.
  • Rae6503
    Options

I think a lot of times it's simply a disconnect in the meaning of "bulk", For example, the OP speaks of not bulking up, then gives instruction on how to gain more muscle. Yet, my definition of "bulking up" is gaining more muscle. Personally, I don't want more muscle than I have. I just want the muscles I have to be "toned". This is why I use mostly body weight exercises for strength and never more than 10 lb weights. Because I don't want to bulk up with new muscle.

But new muscle burns more calories, increases strength, improves health. Stronger women have been shown to live longer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But new muscle burns more calories, increases strength, improves health. Stronger women have been shown to live longer.

A lot of things have been shown to improve health and make women live longer. I do most of them. And it's not that I'm not strong or don't have muscles. I do 100 squats, 100 lunges, 100 modified pushups, 100 tricep dips 5 days a week, plus resistance and a little dumbell work with my 10 lb weights. I believe all of that plus my 60 min a day of Zumba or hiking is going to keep me healthy and make me live longer. I don't like to lift heavy and don't believe I it's necessary.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just don't follow the GFH (get fu@kin huge) strategy when lifting weights... In other words, your diet will dictate whether you will bulk into something large or just tone up and lose fat while minimizing muscle loss.

I'm 100% sure Eason goes heavy on a regular basis and she doesn't seem to look too bulky....
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • joejccva71
    Options
    LOL, photobucket removed the pic of the woman on roids. Not sure why.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Oh wait, nevermind. It's still up. =)
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of random responses to various replies in this thread.

Joe, you said:

"You cannot build new tissue unless you are taking in more calories (energy) than you are burning. It's been that way since ..well..forever! "

This is generally true for sure. But you can add muscle in the face of a deficit and I wouldn't call it muscle memory. Well in select instances I might call it muscle memory, for lack of a better term, when ex-athletes or ex-lifters reintroduced strength training back into the mix... but I don't think you were referring to this crowd.

I see it quite often in practice... especially with my heavier clients or my clients who've never really been exposed to true strength training.

Lyle wrote an awesome piece about this that you can find here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

Pay special attention to this part:
    So consider the combination: we have a situation with overfat beginners where fat cells are very insulin resistant and essentially trying to push calories away. Now we throw training on that, not only sending a muscle building stimulus via training but increasing nutrient uptake into skeletal muscle through effects on skeletal muscle nutrient uptake/insulin sensitivity.

And what happens under those circumstances is exactly what you’d expect: the body appears to take calories out of fat cells and use them to build muscle. And this is effectively what is happening due to the combination of the above two factors.

Joe, you also said:

"Now you say "well I just started working out and I can see my muscles now!". This isn't NEW tissue. This is muscle memory."

I don't find this to be muscle memory or muscle growth or whatever you want to call it more often than not. The vast majority of time women start lifting weights while eating in a calorie deficit. So fat is being lost, and the resistance training is preserving the base of muscle they already have. This produces an epic optical illusion. They may not be growing muscle, but they sure are seeing a lot more of it as the fat levels minimize. As this visibility increases, it's often confused with muscle growth.

Joe, you also said:

"The benefits of the muscle glycogen being burned out is more than you actually realize for fat burning. "

It should be noted that tradition strength training... the heavy, lowish volume stuff... is not very glycogen demanding at all. I mean, here's a sample of a glycogen depletion workout from Lyle's UD2 book:

Monday:

Leg Press 3x15
    Leg Curl 3x15
    Chest Press 3x15
    Row 3x15
    Lateral Raise 2-3x15
    Calf Raise - 3x15
    Bicep Curl 2x15
    Tricep Pushdown 2x15

After you get through all that volume, and that's a lot of volume, you'd go through it one more time. And the following day would be a nearly identical routine. All in conjunction with low carb days.

As you can see... most traditional strength training stuff... at least the stuff that women should be focusing on in order to optimize muscle preservation... isn't anywhere near that volume and by default, it's not going to deplete glycogen all that much.

Hiles, you asked:

"I do have one question for you. For people who are just starting out, would you recommend lifting heavy (for us weaklings that would be like, 10lbs and up) or light...like 5lbs or less...? "

It's important to note that the absolute weight lifted isn't all that important. It's how close that weight is to your maximum ability. And that's not to imply that we should be lifting maximally. But it does imply that we need to be at least somewhat proximal to maximum. It'll vary depending on the person in question and the muscle being trained.... but a rough estimate is the load should be at least 70-80% of your maximum ability in a given movement.

This also implies that 10 lbs might be sufficiently heavy for you in something like, say, shoulder presses. You'd know it if it kept you under, say, 12 reps or so with good form. But it's likely not going to be sufficiently heavy in an exercise that has better leverage and calls on more muscle to execute... say something like a goblet squat, romanian deadlift, row, or whatever. Meaning one weight isn't going to be universally appropriate for all movements.