Do you ever put off eating????

Ok, I'm thinking that this isn't just me.... If I'm going to eat something I want to make sure that it is something that I am going to feel is worth the calories. When I can eat a huge chicken taco salad for 350 calories I can't seem to justify a yogurt and a sandwich for almost the same (just as an example). Right now it is 12:15 pm... so far I've worked out and had two cups of coffee, and a bottle of water, but nothing for breakfast or lunch. Nothing in the house sounds good, and again, I want to make sure that the calories are worth it. I've somehow gotten stuck on the idea that my meals need to be under 400 calories for breakfast or lunch. Breakfast for sure! It kills me to think of eating over 150 calories for breakfast, so I work out and put it off. I'm just wondering if I am the only person that puts off eating because they feel that the food they are eating isn't worth the calories? (And I am heating healthy food, although a hamburger does sound good lol). When I have more food in the house that is "diet" worthy I have an easier time, but right now that isn't the case so its not as easy.....

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    This for me is the key to losing weight. Your daily calories are your currency. You can have whatever you fancy, you just have to decide if it's worth the "money".

I choose to skip breakfast, and spend more on dinner!
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Your exercising on an empty stomach followed by not eating anything afterwords, that doesn't sound healthy. You need to fuel your body, the healthier the food the better.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    I do look at things like sausage rolls, biscuits and chocolate and say 'it just isnt worth 200/300 calories really' but they are treats.

When it comes to breakfast, eat a meal that is going to start your day, no matter the calories, I only have 150 but ive only had 150 for 20 years of my life, eat fruit yoghurt or even pancakes if thats what you eat but you shouldnt deny yourself food, energy at the beginning of the day, how is your body going to get its wake up call and start burning if it has nothing to burn?

Lunch, mine averages out to be about 400 but I get something yummy for that! It can be lighter, it can be more but aslong as you are happy eating it then once again do not deny your body the energy it needs.

You can eat what you want aslong as your cal limit allows it and if that means a massive tea and a tiny lunch then thats fine, sometimes I wake up too late for breakfast and end up with more cals for the other two meals.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Wait, you've worked out and you haven't eaten?! huge mistake. First off, you should eat before you work out - 2 hours or so before you work out. AND you should ALWAYS have some type of recovery food after. Sounds like you're pushing yourself into starvation mode. You MUST feed the machine. I post that on here all the time but it's true. You need to eat back most if not all of your exercise calories in order to lose weight. If you're having trouble losing, this is why. Most people think that the less they eat the less they weigh. NOT TRUE. You have to eat a lot - but you have to eat the proper food. That's why that yogurt would be a better option than the taco salad. Calories aren't the only thing that factor into healthy eating. Additionally, breakfast is THE MOST important meal of the day. I don't care what you think. It's the truth. You should ALWAYS eat within 30 minutes to an hour of getting up.

I saw someone post on here -- you wouldn't put no gas in your car and expect it to get you where you need to go.
    Your body is the same way. You have to feed it right for it to work right. Pushing your body into starvation mode by NOT feeding it properly makes it disfunctional and also makes you retain the weight you are trying to lose. If you do not FEED your body, it starts conserving energy/calories thinking crap, there's nothing coming in, i'm not going to put anything out - thus making you retain or even gain weight.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Your exercising on an empty stomach followed by not eating anything afterwords, that doesn't sound healthy. You need to fuel your body, the healthier the food the better.

I know that is what needs to be done, and that is part of the problem. I'm not always able to have that kind of stuff readily avaliable to me. After I work out my time is usually instantly consumed with my 2 month old baby, therefore breakfast usually gets missed. I have instant breakfast in the cupboard, I really need to start drinking a glass after I work out. But there it is again.... all those calories in liquid form are hard for me. I guess it is just a mental block that I need to get over. Thanks! :)
  • My opinion is 150 cals isn't a meal, that's a snack. But even a morning snack would rev up your metabolism for the whole day. Everything I have read says breakfast is important for weight loss.
  • I would never put off eating! Remember that food fuels the body. Respect the body and you will fuel it appropriately. It is ok to have a light healthy breakfast and light healthy lunch if you are just not a morning eater...but eat something!
  • Your exercising on an empty stomach followed by not eating anything afterwords, that doesn't sound healthy. You need to fuel your body, the healthier the food the better.

I know that is what needs to be done, and that is part of the problem. I'm not always able to have that kind of stuff readily avaliable to me. After I work out my time is usually instantly consumed with my 2 month old baby, therefore breakfast usually gets missed. I have instant breakfast in the cupboard, I really need to start drinking a glass after I work out. But there it is again.... all those calories in liquid form are hard for me. I guess it is just a mental block that I need to get over. Thanks! :)

I get being busy! Some ideas you could try: Have an apple already washed and ready to eat in your fridge. Have a protein bar. High fibre cereal with skim milk. Boil eggs the night before, peel them and they're ready to eat in the morning. Where there is a will...there is a way!
  • GouchisGirl
    Wait, you've worked out and you haven't eaten?! huge mistake. First off, you should eat before you work out - 2 hours or so before you work out. AND you should ALWAYS have some type of recovery food after. Sounds like you're pushing yourself into starvation mode. You MUST feed the machine. I post that on here all the time but it's true. You need to eat back most if not all of your exercise calories in order to lose weight. If you're having trouble losing, this is why. Most people think that the less they eat the less they weigh. NOT TRUE. You have to eat a lot - but you have to eat the proper food. That's why that yogurt would be a better option than the taco salad. Calories aren't the only thing that factor into healthy eating. Additionally, breakfast is THE MOST important meal of the day. I don't care what you think. It's the truth. You should ALWAYS eat within 30 minutes to an hour of getting up.

I saw someone post on here -- you wouldn't put no gas in your car and expect it to get you where you need to go.
    Your body is the same way. You have to feed it right for it to work right. Pushing your body into starvation mode by NOT feeding it properly makes it disfunctional and also makes you retain the weight you are trying to lose. If you do not FEED your body, it starts conserving energy/calories thinking crap, there's nothing coming in, i'm not going to put anything out - thus making you retain or even gain weight.

Oh, I know all the rules. I have done my research as well. I think it is my time line is off more then anything. Getting up every two hours through the night with the baby causes me to be off schedule a bit and start my workout a bit later then I'd like (I try to catch it between his feedings and his needing attention) and that is how I miss out on breakfast. I know that it is a vital part of losing weight though. :) And I already did the starvation thing many years ago and I KNOW that is NOT the way to go. :)
  • GouchisGirl

I get being busy! Some ideas you could try: Have an apple already washed and ready to eat in your fridge. Have a protein bar. High fibre cereal with skim milk. Boil eggs the night before, peel them and they're ready to eat in the morning. Where there is a will...there is a way!

Good point :)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    One of the worst things you can do is to deprive yourself of breakfast and/or lunch. Most of my obese friends do that.

You need fuel for your body in order to be able to function. Nutritious foods will give you more energy and will make your workouts more productive.

I'm especially concerned that you skip meals and workout instead. That's a slippery slope than can quickly turn into a dangerous eating disorder. (Anorexia athletica, for example)

Do some meal planning that will give you the calories you want/need and that'll take the guesswork out and make it less likely that you'll put off eating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yeah, I do that sometimes. I really hate being hungry. But, if I can't have something I'm going to enjoy then I wait till I'm somewhere that I can. I don't waste my calories.
  • GouchisGirl
    I do look at things like sausage rolls, biscuits and chocolate and say 'it just isnt worth 200/300 calories really' but they are treats.

When it comes to breakfast, eat a meal that is going to start your day, no matter the calories, I only have 150 but ive only had 150 for 20 years of my life, eat fruit yoghurt or even pancakes if thats what you eat but you shouldnt deny yourself food, energy at the beginning of the day, how is your body going to get its wake up call and start burning if it has nothing to burn?

Lunch, mine averages out to be about 400 but I get something yummy for that! It can be lighter, it can be more but aslong as you are happy eating it then once again do not deny your body the energy it needs.

You can eat what you want aslong as your cal limit allows it and if that means a massive tea and a tiny lunch then thats fine, sometimes I wake up too late for breakfast and end up with more cals for the other two meals.

Reading all your replies I have come to see that it sounds like I'm depriving myself on purpose and I'm really not. I was eating yogurt and granola for breakfast up until yesterday because I ran out and so I guess I can't justify, or don't have the time, for the food I do have in the house.

BUT I do know I need to atleast eat something. Maybe this was a vent, or frustration, more then anything. Now that I am rereading it I can't tell you exactly where I was going with it other then I'm tired from being up for the last couple of nights and I'm hungry.... So, I'm going to go find something to eat. lol Thanks everyone!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't ever put off eating. I eat every 2-3 hours. Often my breakfast and lunch are under 400 cals. In between I eat healthy whole foods (yogurt, nuts, fruit) and I always pre-log my workouts to spread those healthy calories around during the day.

The experts say don't wait until you're hungry and I believe that. I reached my goals last month, btw so this really works. Don't let yourself get too hungry or put off eating.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    One thing that works for me and is fast, is 2 scrambled eggs. Takes about 5 minutes start to finish for cooking, unless you're like me and need to beat the eggs into oblivion, lol. Add a little Mrs. Dash for seasoning if you don't have time to prep veggies to toss in with them. Good protein, decent calories and good energy for your upcoming workout. I've eaten scrambled eggs for any meal at one point or another.
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    i do that then tell myself off- i dont eat biscuits ever or anything that is just not worth it, instead i have strawberrys much more tastefull! and if i have chocolate i eat dark or white calories are less and darks good for u to. i think rather than look at how many calories per meal look at what you eat troughout the day, i think its hard not to obsess! im on an 80lb mission and im 11lb there in 2weeks so i must be doing something right lol. good luck. x
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member

"consumed with my 2 month old baby". Wow, really? A 2 month old baby sleeps a lot and can just sit there like a blob. I had way more 'free' time with a 2 month old than I do now with a 1 year old, 3 year old, 5 year old, and 6 year old and I still find time to eat 3 meals a day AND snacks. Like with an oxygen mask on an airplane "put yours on first, then help others"! Planning ahead helps too.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby! :) This phase won't last forever. Do your best to make it thru, and try to plant some healthy snacks around your house - maybe even some small bags of almonds or fruit in the nursury. That might encourage you to eat a bit while you are up with the little guy early in the morning.
    Best of luck to you and your family!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Your body needs fuel, and to be fueled at regular intervals, I eat snacks and meals through out the day usually meals are 250-400 cals and snacks are 100-150 cals each. You are going to starve yourself and end up bingeing if you keep up this. Don't you make the choices about what you bring into the house to eat, plan your meals, if you want something other than a sandwich for lunch have something other than that but don't work out and live off coffee until you are too hungry to go with out anything..that is just not healthy.
  • GouchisGirl

"consumed with my 2 month old baby". Wow, really? A 2 month old baby sleeps a lot and can just sit there like a blob. I had way more 'free' time with a 2 month old than I do now with a 1 year old, 3 year old, 5 year old, and 6 year old and I still find time to eat 3 meals a day AND snacks. Like with an oxygen mask on an airplane "put yours on first, then help others"! Planning ahead helps too.

Yes... he was doing so good and now he is back to being up every couple of hours at night and not wanting to sleep at all during the day. He wants to see what is going on, then gets over tired, wants to be held... you all know the drill. lol Actually my 8 year old daughter takes more energy then he does anyway. lol (Seriously!) But I get what you are saying.