Calling all Runners..

Options
I'm new to running. Ahem jogging.. slowly. I keep reading how rest days are important. I get it, trust me.. I have no problem resting just ask my couch. But should this be a rest day between every "run day" or having 1 or 2 rest days a week? Obviously if I feel the umph to get off my butt and exercise I'm going to soak it up.

For you avid runners out there, how many times a week do you run and for how long each time (time or distance) - and are you training or just running for exercise?

Replies

• lrodriguez83
    Options
    Look forward to seeing what others say, I am curious too!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm running 4 miles tues-thurs. Those are my short runs. Then I go 8+ on Sundays :)

My 4 milers are the same regardless of training or no training. My long runs are the ones that change if there's a race coming.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do some kind of major cardio almost every day. Sometimes, I run 5-6 days a week and have been doing that for a couple years without injury or problems.

It's really a matter of how you feel.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I run 4 - 5 days a week and normally cross train (Zumba, swimming etc) for a couple - some days I double up. I have one non cardio day (today) a week.

I do intervals on Mondays, Tempo on Wednesdays, Hill work on Thursdays, Just a run on Sat and an LSD on Sundays :) Really it is about listening to your body I think. If I am knackered or have pain in my hips I'll take a rest day even if it's unscheduled :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Back when I was training for a marathon I was running 4 days a week with always one day off between runs. Now as I return after my knee injury I am running 3 days a week (M,W,F) and doing strength and cardio on an elliptical on my "rest" days. The most important thing when you are starting out is to take it slow. Overuse and progressing too fast will lead to injury.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I forgot...I do cardio on fridays and saturdays too. My only break from cardio is Yoga Mondays! :)
  • mags911
    mags911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new too but here is what is working for me running wise. sun long run (worked up to 6 miles, 7 next week), mon off or other type class, tues 4 miles, wed off or weight train, thurs 3 miles fartleks/tempo, fri 3 miles trail, sat day off, sun repeat. I have gone from barely finishing a mile with run/walks to jogging 6 mi without stopping. Going to run a 10k (6.2 mi) at end of Oct. :) Good luck!
  • luckyjoekohn
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week. I run hills one day, 3-5 miles on other days. I try to run intervals, jog for 5 min, increase my pace for 2-3 min, back down, and so on for 30 min. Better to weight train on rest days from cardo/running.
  • cycle_babe
    cycle_babe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i would recommend 2-3 short runs during the week and a longer run on the weekend. you should take a total rest day from everything because your body changes with rest. however, on the other days you should do a different activity (cardio or strength training). i would suggest visiting www.runnersworld.com this site will prepare a running schedule for you. good luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I (re)started running again all over back in May, running 3 days per week. Now I'm up to 18 miles, but still keeping it to 4 days per week. It allows me to do other things while my muscles recover. It works for me. :smile:
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I used to run 7 days out of every week and never took a "rest day." I would just run longer distances on some days than on others. Now I run 3-4 days a week, cross-train in between, and take 1 or 2 days of resting. I'm not really training for anything. I just enjoy running and use it for exercise. I usually alternate between 3-4 miles and 6-8 miles throughout the week. It really just depends. If you're just starting to run, don't worry about trying to run for long periods of time or anything. Just do what is comfortable. If you're sore the next day, then swim, ride your bike, or rest. Everyone's body is different. Just listen to yours and you'll know when your rest days need to be.
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I run 6/7 days. Short runs (2-3 miles) 3 days a week, Mid distance runs (5-7 miles) 2 days a week, and if I am training for a race, I run long (10+ miles) one time per week. And, I do Jillian MIchaels 7 days a week...so it just depends on what your body needs. If I go long on Saturday and am still super sore on Monday, I'll go for 2 miles rather than 5...but if I don't go at all, I'll hurt worse. :)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you are totally new to running/jogging, I don't think you should do it on back to back days. However, I don't believe you need a complete rest day in between.

Personally, I lift weights Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and run on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Friday is usually my rest day.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Great information! Thanks guys.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I always liked this advice for new runners:

run slower than you think you should
    run shorter (less distance) than you think you should
    run more days than you think you should

bottom line, listen your body

the only way to find out if you really need a rest day in between every run is to try running two days in a row

no reason not to lift or cross train on your rest days
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Get yourself the C25K program. Google it for info. It'll teach you how to go from the couch to running a 5K. (Which I'm doing in a week!) There are apps for smartphones so you can be told when to run, when to stop, etc. Or you can do it yourself with your watch.

When I started last March, I thought I would die when I ran for 30 seconds. I'm now running almost 2 miles at a time. I run slow. I was told to build my endurance first and worry about speed later.

As far as rest days...I learned my lesson in a bad way. I was running every day and I also added in 30 Day Shred. It was too much on my knees, and I injured myself. I had to stop running for a month, and it was terrible! But I did learn from it. I have 2 to 3 forced rest-from-running days each week. So I run 4 to 5 days. On the rest days, I do a cardo circuit and also 30 Day Shred. (I also still do the 30 Day Shred on my running days.) But I modify parts of the 30 Day Shred, because it is so high impact. I will *not* injure myself again...running is too important to me. I have found jumping jacks, particularly, to be awful on my knees. I just won't do them.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I run three days; sometimes I'll throw in a quick 2-3 km jog on off days. I tend to do one tempo run, one day of interval training or hills, and one long run per week. I'd love to do more, but I also have Tae Kwon Do class twice per week and I swim as well -- doubling up on these + running during a day tends to burn me out, so I don't like to do it very often!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I usually do 5-7 miles on MWF, and the same or longer on Saturday.
    I also add some bike rides in there (3-5 miles, maybe a long weekend one), and also try to do workout videos on off days. My body just doesn't feel good running more than two days in a row. I can do a major bike ride or something, just not running.

Listen to your body! And yay for running :-)
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My typical week during maintenance:
    Long run Sunday morning (20 miles)
    Shorter runs Tuesday & Thursday (6-7 miles)

Typical training week:
    Long run Saturday and Sunday morning (20-25 miles)
    Shorter runs Tuesday & Thursday (6-7 miles)
    Gym Wed & Fri for core and lower legs strength training

I started running seriously in 2004, and when I was starting out I would run 2 miles every day. It took about a month to find out that I can't run on consecutive days without hurting myself (shin splints / tendonitis). So now I don't run consecutive days except during heavy training. And I always take at least 1 day off each week: besides being biblical, it makes sense to have the recovery time.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Since I'm not training for anything I run for what feels good and fits the time I have. I run 5-6 days a week. A typical week looks like this:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3 or 4 miles
    Wednesday: 3 or 4 miles
    Thursday: 4 or 5 miles (i usually have a little more time on Thursdays)
    Friday: Rest or 3 or 4 miles
    Saturday: Rest or 3 or 4 miles
    Sunday: 6-7 miles