Extreme Couponing

Options
amy_marie
amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
Has anyone ever seen this show? I have not, but I have heard a lot about it! I want to look into this, because I want to save as much as I can. What do yall think? Any tips or advice? Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've watched that show a lot, and let me tell you, I have some major respect for those women (and men!) Stockpiling their house for pennies? Amazing. I don't think I could ever get THAT into it, but once I get my own house and need to do my own grocery shopping... you best believe coupons are going to be my best friend!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    This show is pretty interesting. The work these women put in to support their families is amazing! I also love that some of them even donate some of the food to local shelters. The only thing that sucks is that most of the deals aren't on very nutritional foods. It's mostly stuff like pop, chips and cookie. It is pretty interesting though.
  • amy_marie
    Options
    Thanks for the website Kel, I'll definitely check it out later and let ya know what I find.

Kristy, yea I figured it would be mostly bad food, but I thought maybe I could find some deals on other stuff I need, like laundry detergent, bath stuff, etc.
  • rachel1496
    Options
    I wouldn't consider myself extreme but by couponing for cleaning supplies, laundry soap and toiletries I can use the money I save on those items to boost up my food budget and buy better meats, more produce, etc; There are deals out there on healthy foods, you just have to watch for them.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I think it is awesome how these woman save money for their families but they put alot of time and effort into it. I am not sure I want to spend that much time on coupons but i would like to clip and few and save some $
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have been couponing since February of this year, it has helped me so much.. I have actually saved over $2,000.00 and only bought the things that we would use. for the past 2 months I have been living out of my pantry because I am saving for my trip to NYC in two weeks, YAY
  • doinit4tayzie
    Options
    Well I am a couponer, and I have seen the show. The show is not very real. Stores are very strick with coupon policies. You can save from 50%~70% off ur grocery bill. Here are some grest websites thekrazycouponlady.com, southernsavers.com. Have fun!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    This show makes me sad b/c I am an extreme sale-lover but in Canada there is no such thing as doubling up coupon deals, store points/dollars and coupons cannot be scanned, the cashier has to read the fine print of each coupon to make sure you bought the right product :sad:
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    the show has them do exterme hauls, most of them say it is the biggest they have ever done. The key is the doubling coupons. I only have a Fred Meyer and they do not double the coupons. After watching the show I looked for some coupons and have found quite a few I can use, ones for almond milk, string cheese, soup, protein bars, and all sorts of house hold stuff. I understand those that have large familys and give stuff away, but there are several ladies that would be much better off health wise without it.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have seen the show and while I do not extreme coupon, it did inspire me to clip coupons to save some money and I use a few of the tips. I buy one paper each week and I clip for about an hour if that each week between the coupons in our weekly circulars and the sunday paper. I clip, but only for things I know I will use (I pass on most of the junky ones) and also for toiletries, hair dye, and cleaning products. Started in June and I get at least one good deal each week, sometimes more that I can use. On average I save an extra 5-25 dollars per week on my grocery bill thanks to coupons. I do not stockpile much since I have limited cabinet space. Looking into clipping some of the coupons I currently don't clip though, so that I can put my saving money to a good cause and donate food.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    afullcup.com is a good place for finding stuff in your area. Also grocerysmarts.com has deals sorted by region.
  • amy_marie
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I can't wait to check out the deals :)
  • amy_marie
    Options
    Is it cheaper to go to a place like Sam's or Costco than it is to clip coupons?
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I did a price comparison on Costco and found it was better for some stuff not all. i got into couponing from this show and have saved significantly. The most i've saved so far is $60 on a grocery bill. Last night I went to CVS and between coupons and extra care bucks I paid $2 for $18 worth of shampoo and conditioner (love buy one get one coupons!). I have started a little stockpile and really like having it but personally I think extreme couponing is just an organized version of hoarding.
  • amy_marie
    Options
    I did a price comparison on Costco and found it was better for some stuff not all. i got into couponing from this show and have saved significantly. The most i've saved so far is $60 on a grocery bill. Last night I went to CVS and between coupons and extra care bucks I paid $2 for $18 worth of shampoo and conditioner (love buy one get one coupons!). I have started a little stockpile and really like having it but personally I think extreme couponing is just an organized version of hoarding.

I agree, some people go a bit overboard, but it makes for good TV lol. I am planning on going to Sam's this weekend, but I don't know if it would be worth it. The coupons I've seen online are pretty good, I am surprised at how many good deals are out there.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have watched. I have great respect for these people however it is not for me. I hate looking for clothes at TJMaxx I am certainly not going to look on the internet for coupons. To each his own.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options

i ave a sams membership, but i can get some tings cheaper using coupons elsewhere. target does one manufacturers coupon and one store coupon combined, yu can get some great deals that way, if you have a target in your area
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Couponing a great way to stretch a budget, but I would take “Extreme Couponing” with a grain of salt. There was an article in our paper recently on that show -- it is defiantly not real even if they call it reality. The producers get stores to basically ignore their own coupon policies all for the sake of the show's publicity. This can include doubling coupons, or taking coupons written for one product for another product, or taking several items when the coupon is only written for one per purchase. A number of the stores interviewed for the article have stated they were sorry they ever participated as the local publicity was not good when it was found that they had treated the show’s participants differently from regular customers.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

NO! Costco never, ever has better prices on toilet paper, milk, bread, pop - the basics are all cheaper at Walmart and Shoppers Drug Mart. Its for people who buy processed food in bulk and meats and the produce is overpriced as well.