I'm not morbidly obese, I'm not obese, I'm just overweight..

Options
My story is probably boring. But it's probably the category that most people fall into. I'm sure my weight is very average. Some of the girls at work get mad when I say I want to lose weight because they are bigger than me. But here's the truth. I've been struggling with that slow creeping weight gain for the past 20 years. Basically ever since I got my first car is when it started. I am 5'2" and 146 lb at 39 years old. I once lost 20 lb about 10 years ago, and maintained for about a year or so...and then it started creeping back on again. I've actually been maintaining my current weight pretty well for several years...unfortunately, it's about 20 lb more than I want it to be.

I am turning 40 next April, and I feel like something has got to change. Call it midlife crisis if you will, but I'm either going to take easy street and get a tattoo, or I'm going to put some work into it and take the long road, and finally lose some weight.

I've tried all kinds of crazy things, and the only thing that ever worked for me was counting calories. So here we are. Again. Counting calories. And hoping beyond hope that I can actually stick with it this time.

Replies

• NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm SO right with you. I'm 38 and not even "over weight" per se but I'm not at my best weight and it's so hard now to get off this 15 or so pounds that sits on me, all wrong.
  • kaitedid
    Options
    Best of Luck!!! You can do this!!!!
  • cheri868
    Options
    I am exactly where you are. Turning 40 in Feb next year and would love to lose around 15-20 lbs. Everyone tells me I am crazy to want to lose weight as wel.. I am 5ft and am 127lbs. Before having my daughter, I weighed 104. I know it may be near impossible to get back to that, but even 110 would be better than my present weight.
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm in this boat with you, have no fear, lots of us are. I have found that most people here on MFP understand that we are all here for the same reason, some people's numbers are just bigger. It doesn't make it any less hard.

I'm 5'7" and I'm sitting at 160 today. That puts me just barely into the overweight catagory, but it is still more than I want to be.

Feel free to add me as a friend and congrats on taking the first step. :wink:
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

Glad you decided to join MFP. It is a great tool and resource for life changes that promote weight loss.

One might say long term weight loss and health may be more than counting calories.. quite possibly making sustainable changes that facilitate a healthy body, mind, and soul. Along the way of counting calories so much knowledge is gained.. that the long term sustainable healthful changes stay active in our lives.. Well most of the time. Not perfection - just perpetual progress.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Turning 40 was a motivating factor for me too. It's as good as any! :tongue:

Welcome and good luck! Don't let the co-workers drag you down! :flowerforyou:
  • sunshinestorm
    sunshinestorm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I am 5'1", currently 146.5 and shooting for 130lbs. My friends keep telling me I'm tiny, but I'm really not. Yes I am short and have been consistantly losing weight, but I really do want to be slimmer. Not just for the sake of it, but I plan on having children in a few years and I really want to be at a healthy weight for that so I am not super overweight while pregnant. People with smaller frames really need to work hard at their figures. There's not a whole lot of space to hide extra weight. Even gaining or losing 3 lbs makes the world of difference! Go for your goals!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    We are on the same page. I am 5'3" and currently 144 lbs. I too am turning th big 4-0 in March. My goal is to be 130 by Christmas and between 112 and 120 by my birthday. Add me as a friend and we can do this together. I have had the same thing said to me, or here eat this your not big enough. Well I am big for me, and I'm glad I cought myself before it was way out of control. Good luck to you on your journey!!
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    You should get the tattoo as a reward for working hard and reaching your goal. That way it is motivation and once you get it it will constantly be a reminder of how hard you worked to get where you want to be.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My story is probably boring. But it's probably the category that most people fall into. I'm sure my weight is very average. Some of the girls at work get mad when I say I want to lose weight because they are bigger than me. But here's the truth. I've been struggling with that slow creeping weight gain for the past 20 years. Basically ever since I got my first car is when it started. I am 5'2" and 146 lb at 39 years old. I once lost 20 lb about 10 years ago, and maintained for about a year or so...and then it started creeping back on again. I've actually been maintaining my current weight pretty well for several years...unfortunately, it's about 20 lb more than I want it to be.

I am turning 40 next April, and I feel like something has got to change. Call it midlife crisis if you will, but I'm either going to take easy street and get a tattoo, or I'm going to put some work into it and take the long road, and finally lose some weight.

I've tried all kinds of crazy things, and the only thing that ever worked for me was counting calories. So here we are. Again. Counting calories. And hoping beyond hope that I can actually stick with it this time.

Keep at it, it's rewarding.

Don't worry about the others who get mad, that's their problem.
  • ivy2009
    Options
    I am right there with you. I am 51 and have had to slow creep up in weight by 10 to 15 pounds but more importantly the slow creep in the wrong direction on blood numbers (sugar, cholesterol, etc.). Nothing real bad but if I kept the slow creep in the wrong direction, when I got to be 60, I would have a real problem Good luck.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I'm also "just overweight". I'm almost 25 and I'm tall so alot of my friends don't see that I need to lose weight, but they understand now. Good luck with your goal :D
  • bethany42172
    bethany42172 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Well, I just got a 10 day logging in reward, so I'm pretty happy about that! Logging has been pretty easy and actually fun. Progress has been good so far. :)
  • carrun
    carrun Posts: 16
    Options
    MY story is very similar. I'm 5'2.5" and at 148. My 40th birthday is also in April. My motivation, I want to be fit and fabulous at 40!! We can do this!!! Feel free to add me.