Diet soda; i.e. Coke Zero

Options
Anyone out there ever experience this? It's kind of odd, and I'm uneasy about sharing it. But, I've given up drinking diet soda especially Coke Zero because it seemed that it was somehow building up in my system and making my skin and especially my scalp stink like something dead. Someone once told me that some of the things in diet sodas are the same formulation as formaldehyde, and it has really made me think there might be some truth in that. Anyway, if anyone else has experienced this type of "side effect" I would love to know because as it stands, I feel like some kind of weirdo. I loved the zero cal while still getting the caffeine, but I've gone back to drinking just one can of regular soda every other day (and no stink from the regular soda). It's really sweet, but I'd rather deal with that than the other issue.

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    never had that effect, but I pretty much don't drink soda any more. especially the diet stuff. it's all chemicals and is just putrid for human consumption.

go with water, herbal tea's, black coffee (or with milk and a little sugar or agave syrup) etc.

i think if you really want a soda - go with an all natural kind, like Jones or Blue Sky.

that's my 2 cents!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke all the time, never had a problem
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Never had that side effect and Coke Zero is my drug of choice. I drink one every day and at least 1 or more on the weekends. Weird!!!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I drink diet dr. pepper and coke zero like it's my job... and I've never had any odd side effects. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have them anymore! I'd just have to curl up and die!
  • xorachelrose
    Options
    Ive never noticed any side affects but i really try to not drink diet soda. I did this experiment in one of my classes about the pH scale and diet soda was one of the "mystery liquids". When i found out the pH and that it was a diet soda i was completely grossed out by any kind of soda.

(plus my friend works at a connivence store and right after i told him about this experiment we did in class he backed it up by saying that the soda machine grate is literally getting eaten alive by all kinds of soda that go down the drain. the plastic/rubber material that coats the grates is completely dissolved in multiple locations and the metal is starting to erode. (ew!) So after that i've tried to stay clear of any soda...)

Which is really upseting because i love diet coke but i love my body more. :)
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Love Diet Pepsi! Usually have a 20-oz bottle a day.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Haven't had that happen, but I've cut way back on my consumption of diet coke...ice tea, water, hot tea, etc...i figure don't give me that nice fizzy soda buzz, but are better for me. Maybe it's something else, too?
  • sandysexy69
    Options
    I heard that Dr. Pepper has the same ingredient as anti- freeze. (I don't know how true that is). I know the acid in coke used to clean car battery's.

I never heard of certain medicatins that will make your body chemistry change a bit, thus causing a weird smell. I never heard of a soda doing that.
    7534584 Posts: 38
    Options
    l love diet coke and drink it all the time. I am more like 4 or so a day. I do know when I wanted to clean my brass door knocker, I tried Brasso. It didnt work at all so I checked online. One suggestion was soaking in coke. I did it and my knocker lost 20 years gunk and is bright and shiny....after about 30 min in the coke. Yes, I still drink it. I guess my stomach must be bright and shiny :)