stress eating

I realalized that I stress ate today when I down that bag of chips in less than five minutes. Thats a big step for me to realize that. However, the trigger that made me to it is still there. I need to get a grip of this before I back slide!!!

Replies

• im right there with you! we can do it tho!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Amen to this. I TOTALLY stress eat. Today was one of the worst. So I over did it on working out, because to top it all off my husband showed me a picture of me when I was 250 lbs and in the hospital, from when my first was hospitalized.
  • First thing - Congratulations on owning where you are right now. Document what you ate accurately. I make notes in the little box on the food diary section - whether happy, stress, angry, frustrated, bored, etc. that led me to eat poorly (most of the time it is poorly), etc. Own it for what it is and move on. You can beat yourself up for blowing it or you can learn from it. My life has continual stressors and I am not always effective at keeping them at bay. Sometimes it helps to take a walk, listen to some music, get away even for a little while, and give yourself an opportunity to succeed later in the day, or tomorrow or :) You can do it. You are worth it.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    I feel like I'm finally making progress in this dept. It's hard. You definitely have to say no and even say it outloud. I say it outload to the food that's tempting at the store and try to form that NO auto reaction to those foods. Force myself to drink water instead, snack on healthy, drink tea, or read or exercise. Something that will stimulate in a helatht way
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Great book for emotional eating of all kinds: "Life is Hard, Food is Easy." It gives lots of tips and awesome ideas for how to control eating under whatever emotion you are feeling.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    First thing - Congratulations on owning where you are right now. Document what you ate accurately. I make notes in the little box on the food diary section - whether happy, stress, angry, frustrated, bored, etc. that led me to eat poorly (most of the time it is poorly), etc. Own it for what it is and move on. You can beat yourself up for blowing it or you can learn from it. My life has continual stressors and I am not always effective at keeping them at bay. Sometimes it helps to take a walk, listen to some music, get away even for a little while, and give yourself an opportunity to succeed later in the day, or tomorrow or :) You can do it. You are worth it.

I like that idea! Thanks!
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Great book for emotional eating of all kinds: "Life is Hard, Food is Easy." It gives lots of tips and awesome ideas for how to control eating under whatever emotion you are feeling.

I will have to look for that book. Thanks a bunch! Hoping for a better day today. I've come too far to go back now!!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Last time I was super stressed, I realized that all I wanted to do was eat. It was a very busy afternoon, but I managed to go out for a quick walk and calmed down quite a bit. I'm happy that I managed to not only recognize what I was doing, but divert that energy into something productive.