Advice for a (Sort of) Running Beginner

Options
When I was down at my lowest weight, I used to go running/jogging almost everyday of the week and thoroughly enjoyed it and never got sick or winded. Now that I've gained a lot of weight, running is really hard since I haven't worked out consistently in a long time.

So, my question is for the runners who are veterans or have gotten themselves going without killing themselves .. what steps did you take to begin running and what tips do you have for someone who wants to become a runner again?

Thanks for any replies in advance. :)

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    start off slow...I started running like 1/4 of a mile and walking the rest in July...I've worked myself up to 2 miles running straight...i'm a slow runner so it's nothing spectacular...but I'd suggest starting off slow and getting used to what you can do and then building up from there!
  • allenlisa
    Options
    I run a lot for my personal benefit. And I also go 6 months where I run everyday then 6 months I don't run at all (winter in Colorado) doesn't help. But when I start back up I start with a slow pace and work my way up. Walk when you need it. After awhile I get to the point I can run the whole way and feel great.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was a runner in high school, but then took almost 16 years off from it, ha! Anyhow, I started by doing the Couch to 5k program which had an app on my android phone. Worked great, starts you off in small intervals of running and walking and builds you up. Still at the point where I can only run about 10 minutes straight then a short walk break and back at it again! Good luck!
  • fatreddhead
    Options
    C25K (couch to 5k) is a great program! It is a great way to ease back in to running.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I took over a year off, and gained 25 pounds. Back in May, I put the shoes on again, and painfully slugged out a few miles (walking/ running). Along the way, I worked on my diet, and included gym time. I lost 20lbs in the first 3 months, and stuck to 3-4 days per week of running (some weeks even less). Here we are into the 5th month, and not only is my speed almost at my best, but my endurance is better than ever before. It'll happen, but it has to happen slowly. :smile:
  • cassybubby
    cassybubby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but earlier this year I took up the C25K program, and now I'm running for 30 minutes straight! It's something I really recommend, because it breaks it down and makes the running seem more achievable because it's broken into shorter periods to start off with.

Here's a website to have a look at if you're interested in the C25K program:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Basically the first week you do a 5 minute warm up, alternate 60 seconds of running/jogging with 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes, and then do a 5 minute cool down. And each week the running builds up from there.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get this answer from lots of people but I'll say it anyway: C25k.
    Google it, it is a program that guides you from walking to running. I started with it in back in January and it's been great for me.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    C25K (couch to 5k) is a great program! It is a great way to ease back in to running.
    This!! I am C25K's biggest fan... it's been great for me and I am so happy I found it! :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    c25k most definitely, i went from 0 to 28 mins in 8 weeks, to my suprise....it works!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I second the Couch-to-5K recommendation - it's a great way to gradually build up your running time.

My only sidebar to that would be that the C25K workouts are only about 30 minutes in total, with warm up and cool down, which isn't long enough at an elevated heart rate to really help with weight loss - 45 minutes in the minimum - so I always make sure to add at least 10 minutes each to both the warmup walk and the cool down walk. Because the less weight I carry on my body, the longer and more easily I can run!

Good luck with it! :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You're received good advice already. I need to start back again soon, but in the past, running an extra quarter mile each week worked out. You're young, and already have experience running, so that should work. If you're really out of shape, you may want to try speed walking for the first couple of weeks to strengthen your legs and knees. I generally walked a half mile, ran 3, then walked another mile and a half. I'm hoping to get back to that, but I'm older now, so we'll see. You have fun!
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I live in a subdivision with different roads I would walk the long roads and jog/run the short now I've reversed it. Run long walk the short. Hopefully I'll be running the whole thing soon!! Twice! It's taking a couple of months to get here but I slacked in there too
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This!! I am C25K's biggest fan... it's been great for me and I am so happy I found it! :)

This too it's great..

Look for good apps on you iphone, ipod or android, there is also podcasts .. you can also find similar program on internet !

Have fun ! :)
  • fitnfreeme
    fitnfreeme Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome!
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same boat. I am just taking it slow and setting reasonable goals for myself.

For me pushing myself is the hardest part, I want to walk...a lot. So I have to set goals, both short and long term. Such as running for 2 light poles and walking 1 and increasing the number of poles between walks by 1 each week. (or whatever I can handle). I also listen to books on tape/music when I run to keep it interesting and distract myself.

I know it is really discouraging at first but it will come back faster than you think, good luck :)