Why do I crave sweets and fat when I have a headache?

Options
I woke up with a doozy, and I know where all the candy is hidden! Well, except for a charity candy bar I bought to help the cub scouts. I know it's around here somewhere. Why do I want it now? I've been so good!

Replies

• Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I woke up with a doozy, and I know where all the candy is hidden! Well, except for a charity candy bar I bought to help the cub scouts. I know it's around here somewhere. Why do I want it now? I've been so good!
  • hmrsimpsonzealot
    Options
    Aw man, I have the same problem. With me, I ALWAYS want a coke. I was never much of a soda drinker, but I love it! It was the hardest thing for me to give up I just have to tell myself no. Your body is used to the sugar, and craves it, I assume. Same thing happened when I gave up coffee. :tongue:

Keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Here is a little info on the body's chemistry and a bit of humor to boot

1. eating sweets, chocolate specifically produces the same chemical results in the body (and brain) as the feelings of love :love: and intimate activities :wink:

2. As for most headaches (exception being migranes which stem from other things), sex can relieve the pain of the headache.. (this is why "I have a headache tonight" doesn't stand its ground)

so, if you are craving chocolate when you have a headache, yor body is probably looking for the same "outcome"

So instead of taking in more calories, why not find your SO, burn a few extra calories and get rid of that pesky headache! :blushing:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Your body may also be needing caffiene - found both in chocolate and in coke (for op and 1st reply). Maybe the headache is caffiene w/dwl? Don't know - just a possibility! Hope it goes away soon!
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I never ever drink coffee, pekoe tea (white, green. black or whatever) or caffeinated soda. I know caffeine is an active ingredient on some painkillers like Excedrine. But I notice when I get a bad headache, all self-control goes right out the window. I want sweets, and I want them 20 minutes ago! But, all humor aside, I am feeling a lot better after Vicodin and a nap. What happened was I did not take my meds yesterday. Always a bad idea! I'm so glad it will be gone when I get back to work tomorrow. Thank you for your good wishes and advice.:flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better :flowerforyou: Gotta remember those meds!! :laugh: