Old Weight Watcher who LOVES MFP!!

Options
Hello! I am a 39 yr old new member to MFP and am loving it! I never had a weight problem until I got married, got lazy about food choices, etc. I lost 55 lbs in 2003 on WW. Worked as a leader for almost a year. Got pregnant, gained 55 pounds, lost 30 lbs after baby. Never got my footing in WW again after that. Sooooo tired of counting points. THEN....this newest program allows "free" fruits and veggies and I just could not wrap my brain around that, not to mention the cost!

Saw a co-worker shrink before my eyes and noticed she was posting to Facebook from MFP. Checked it out and off we go. Have lost 4 lbs. in little over a week. Hunger controlled, exercising. Love the extensive database and Android app with bar code scanner! Easy Breezy!

Replies

• That's wonderful! Welcome! I love MFP so much more than WW as well. It also helps realize what I'm eating and not just the points!
    Heather
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Agreed -- I restarted on WW like 10 times, on three or four different versions of their plans. For me, MFP works much, much better.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a Weight Watchers lifetime member. Weight Watchers is a great program, but MFP takes it to the next level. And no game playing with points!!!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    and the best part its free! I did weight watchers for 3 months before mfp and only lost 3 lbs. I like this much better, ww was just to confusing for me
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    Never made it to lifetime. Thank Weight Watchers for getting me started and tried to get back on the wagon with the new program january and never quite got on properly. It was stressing me to get to meetings while traveling and I was getting overwhelmed with points. Now I can SCAN MY FOOD FOR FREE! YAY!!!

If MFP ever has a convention or meetings I would gladly volunteer :)
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love this site. I can't believe it is free but so happy it is. I tried WW briefly a couple of years ago but the point thing was confusing to me and I just could not get into it. A friend put me on this site and I just love it. I finally know what I am doing after 40 years of dieting!
  • Logansmom2011
    Logansmom2011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    just started WW online 3 weeks ago while I was already a member of MFP just to keep me on my toes and I prefer MFP over WWO a 100%!I love it so much I'm constantly telling people that mention wanting to lose weight to join MFP :)
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    WW is a great system. It works if you work it. It is expensive though and I have found that I love the 24/7 support and convenience of MFP. AND IT IS FREE! And you still have all the knowledge that you gained from WW to carry with you. Best of all worlds. WELCOME!
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do both MFP and WW . I am finding that I use MFP for support and WW for points but I also have found the database on MFP much much MUCH better and easier to deal with on my Iphone. Just sayin.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I will say that right before I hit goal I'm going back to get my damned Key! lol
  • shrinkinglily
    Options
    I find the online tools at MFP much easier to use and love that it's free. I have had great results when I was able to stick with WW, but when they changed the point system, it wasn't intuitive to me anymore. I don't like the mystique of the point. With MFP I can see myself really grasping how to eat and someday not having to log every bite.

I was just about to try WW meetings when I got turned on to MFP. I think the meetings would have been good for me, but this has really clicked for me so I am not going to change one thing. 10 pounds since Sept 1 speaks volumes.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I was thinking about joining WW but thought I'd checked the forums first. I love MFP and I have lost weight since I've joined plus I like that its free. So no WW for me.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm a bit of a newbie myself (and former WW) but am loving MFP. It's free, the database is expansive, I'm not stressing trying to get to meetings, but most of all... the emphasis isn't on the scale. This is my biggest complaint about WW. You can "check in" your measurements and on the forums you can post your NSV's (non scale victories). I wish you all the best!

P.S. When you see "bump" on the forums, it just means that the person agrees or likes something.
  • MrsKyhemia
    Options
    I agree! I did WW after I had my first child (she's 4yrs old now) and lost the rest of my post pregnancy weight.....Lost 25lbs with them. I had my 2nd child in Feb and gained a lot....I heard about MFP and saw friends shrink before my eyes and thought about trying this first before going back to WW....mainly bc it was free and it seemed like the same concept. I'm glad I did MFP.

Don't get me wrong, seeing Jennifer Hudson transformation almost persuaded me, lol.....but, I'm sure I would look like that too if I had WW AND a personal trainer ;)
  • cyntia
    cyntia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my cousin is on ww and i make fun of her because she thinks she's better than me lol because she has an app on her phone and I'm like everything your doing I am doing it here on MFP and more.. I did WW for like a week and went back to MFP even after i paid for like the month already I lost $20 bucks but oh well learnt the hard way. I called MFP "Budget Watchers" and I am losing a lot of weight on this program yay me!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you will love it here.
  • redjunebride
    Options
    Hi All ... former WW ... counting points was just too stressful for me ... could not get my head wrapped around what counted and didn't count ... half the time I just wouldn't eat because I was afraid to eat the wrong thing. PLUS I was on the road all the time. Now, I just search my MFP app find out the calories ... or SCAN ... how awesome is that ... and EAT something healthy!!! :happy:

Glad to be here ...
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs on WW on the 1-2-3 and Flex program but never made goal. I maintained through Momentum and PPlus was making me gain.

Been here two weeks and have lost 3.2 already. I think I will discontinue WW on line and just follow it here. Seems to be working so much better.
  • 719Lily
    719Lily Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Budget Watchers!! LOVE IT!!!!! :)
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I will say that right before I hit goal I'm going back to get my damned Key! lol

I did that exact thing! I couldn't lose the last 10 with WW alone, so I quit and started running. A few years later I decided that I had spent so much money and time at WW that I was going back to get my lifetime. You have to lose at least 5 lbs. in order to qualify, so I spent a month going to weekly meetings and lost 5 lbs. I lost 62 lbs. total and have the key chain and all the charms. Silly that it meant so much to me... and only cost me $3000 (yes I did the math!)