Am I setting myself up for failure?

Options
So I've changed my lifestyle (dammit, I'm not calling it a diet anymore), dramatically over the last two weeks. I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but it's the first two weeks in a lot of years that I haven't tried to eat my own weight in high fructose corn syrup on a daily basis.

I went from (assumedly) consuming 3k+ calories a day of crap (taco bell, burger king, everything deep fried I could find), to eating fairly healthy (check my diary), and not breaking 2200 calories a day. Based on my trainers recommendation I've taken sugar and starches out of my diet completely since last Saturday. I'm having cravings, but I'm not giving in to them or allowing myself any "crutches" (not saying that people shouldn't if they need to, I just know I'll fail completely if I give a little). Is this all going to blow up in my face? Should I allow myself the cravings? I can fight through them, ignore them, or eat something healthy in their place. I'm just worried I'm gonna be in the grocery store one day, lose my ****, and they're going to find me naked in the baked goods case eating a 1/2 sheet cake.

Replies

• lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great job so far, be aware the first few days and weeks are the hardest, youre body will crave what you have traces of in your intestinces, once your body is cleaned out the cravings should taper off significantly, consider a very high fiber raw produce day youll see a surge in cravings but the next day you would be better, dont give in they should pass
  • SaraSatin
    SaraSatin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok, the naked eating cake comment cracked me up...

The cravings go away, or at least they taper off. If I were better at removing sugar from my diet mine would be gone by now. Give it some time, you don't have to crash and burn you can make it through!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried I'm gonna be in the grocery store one day, lose my ****, and they're going to find me naked in the baked goods case eating a 1/2 sheet cake.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OHHH Im sorry... Im so very sorry... I had to clean up the coffee I spit out from laughing so hard.....

Honestly... if you dont trust yourself then, make sure you have a bag of extra clothing if you end up at the grocery store.... LOL

In all seriousness though... you mentioned you are already combating the craving-issue by eating healthier options... I think at this point, by the comedic comment you made... it sounds like you still have that unsteady, uncontrolling urge to dive in to something naughty.... well... you can do one of two things:

1.) Continue turning to your healthier options when you get that urge...
    2.) Configure your daily intake to allow you a small indulgence if you trust your ability to control the portion - a moderation of it if you will...
  • mother_war
    Options
    this post has completely made my morning better. i needed someone to be humorous and blunt besides me.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You know, it's basically like AA: one day at a time. Some days are harder than others.
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    This is just my opinion: I believe that if I forbid myself from having the foods I love that I will be more likely to binge. I also believe that if I eat some sweets and stop myself after one serving that I am even stronger. I still eat out and I just order grilled chicken sandwiches plain. I also will have sugar and carbs because I can't possibly live my life without those things. If this is truly a lifestyle change than I have to be able to see myself eating like this for the rest of my life. I don't think I should be expected to live without pizza or ice cream, I just need to learn to eat in moderation.
  • cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Options
    If you can fight them...good for you! I allow myself to cheat once a week! I have a severe pasta addiction, and cutting it out completely makes me sad! As they say...everything in moderation.
  • jcdfish
    jcdfish Posts: 31
    Options
    What do you mean by "starches"? Are you allowed to eat whole grain breads? If you are leaving out something essential, then you will actually, physically crave things.

If this is an emotional craving for sugar, likely you'll try something sweet one day and notice you just don't enjoy it like you used to. From that point on, you likely won't crave refined sugar anymore.

That's my experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you say yourslef that its a lifestyle change, so can you sustain this long term?

i am of the 'everythign in moderation' school of thought which means nothing is out of bounds, so i dont have cravings for anything. however for the first 4-6 weeks i was strict with myself and didnt have many treats.

But some people do better if they totally cut out certain food groups that trigger binges etc, so i guess its what u think will work best.

Just remember that you need patience, but you CAN do it!!
  • lgervais1
    Options
    I'm not sure what your craving but I treat myself every night with 2 squares of a Lindt Dark Chocolate/Seasalt bar. This really helps to look forward to at the end of my day of eating well and I have continued to lose weight. Find a special snack that works for you and is somewhat healthy. You may also try one cheat meal a week in which you can eat whatever you want just one meal
    once a week to help you get through. Stay focused and exercise everyday, good luck!!
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You will always be tested. It's true that if you start a healthy life style, that you will be less tempted to continue to eat junky. However, a few things that may pop up...

Family, friends, coworkers, etc take you to a place you enjoy. You know you love the grilled stuff, with nachos, cheese, extra taco, etc, but do you give in, or opt for the 3 taco meal?

A function at work has work paying for your meals. They cater in some food. Do you give in or eat your home made sandwich?

If you find you have the urge, give yourself 2 free meals a week. Not cheat meals (dont call it that, it makes it feel wrong) but free meals, AND NOT 2 FREE DAYS. You will kick yourself every week.

I gave up soda. I recently found diet Sierra Mist which is quite good. Diet 7 Up is good too. Those are low cal, some people will say the sugar is bad. That's another arguement.

You really have to go 1 full week without giving in, and then in GOOD moderation, treat yourself to your favorite place. Don't get 3000 calories from dinner alone. Grab the small combo meal and don't upsize. Don't ask for lite or no ice. Etc.

This is what worked for me. I always have calories in the back of my mind when I am out and about now.

Edit: What I did with the catering was I said I didnt want any. For the going out to eat, I opt for a small combo meal without upsizing or adding extra things.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different.

For me, if I deprive myself completely from something, it'll guarantee a binge.

I'm finding, with logging my food, I can say "Ok, I can have one snack size Hershey bar and still stay within my range." I'm frightfully honest on my diary, so I log it...and if I give into a binge and eat....say 3 of those snack size bars, I know that I'm going to have to work to get it off, or I'm going to have to treat myself to that trigger food less often. Just knowing that I'll have to log that on my diary is enough motivation not to overeat.

Mind you, not everyone has that kind of willpower and I wouldn't suggest it for just anyone. You know yourself the best and what you want for your body and how you want to live.

To me, life isn't about depriving yourself from the things you love. It's about allowing yourself occasional treats (emphasis on OCCASIONAL), but the rest of the time staying focused on your goal.

When I was growing up, we were really dirt poor. Things like going out to eat was a treat. We got to go out to eat MAYBE once a month. It was such a special time for us that it was a BIG DEAL to go to McDonald's. Now, it seems like most people go to fast food joints several times a week just because they're too lazy to cook (and yes, I'm guilty of that myself).

We need to start going to these places as a TREAT, not as a regular weekly occurrence.
  • TamJohn2011
    TamJohn2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't completely deny myself. I allow myself small treats to keep from caving in to bigger ones. Just make sure you count the calories. Oh, and make sure you know how many calories are in it BEFORE you eat it. :) I've learned that the hard way.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    no, you are trying to suceed. like the rest of MFP's step by agonizing step. It DOES get better. Your body will appreciate good food as opposed to crap. I think you are missing the instant gratification/satisfaction of of the foods you are used to. Believe me after 3 months fried food even the SMELL of french fries makes me queasy. Buy yourself the BEST good food you can afford. I started going to a foodie gourmetish grocery. I buy steamed shrimp and have it put in 4oz portions, the leanest deli meat the same way. Only the best in seaon fruit and veg. And finally THANK GOD for Skinny girl ice cream bars. Try them. Eve if you eat the whole box(I haven't reallyy done that have I????) it is under 1000 cal. Better than naked in Bakey aisle LOL
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really made an effort to change my mind set (train my mind) to understand that food if fuel not something that's supposed to be the most enjoyable part of my life. For the first 4 weeks I was super strict to give myself time to break bad habits, but now that I'm 2.5 months in I am able to be more flexible with my meals because I understand food ALOT better. For the first month every Sunday I would sit down and plan out my meals for Monday & would then just repeat the EXACT same meal from Mon-Sun (and then repeat the activity of planning the next weeks meals). It took the thinking out of it...and personally most of my issues with food have to do with my 'thinking' about it. I have tried many different 'diets' over the years & never been able to stick with any of them...but this truly feels like a lifestyle change. I actually eat alot more food then I used to & I have discovered so many new yummy foods & recipes that I never feel like I'm going without. I LOVE this program & I enjoy actively logging in my foods and exercises (making my health an automatic part of my daily thinking). Good luck with everything & try not to over think it :wink:
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You know, I find that with these kinds of things, it takes a while to find what works for you. I've had to eliminate all caffeine and most sugar from my diet, but I refuse to give up my glass or two of wine with dinner. It just makes a meal to me. On the other hand, I don't miss soda at all. I miss coffee a bit, but I'm still okay with that.
    Three weeks is what your body needs to fully give up a habit, so if after three weeks you find that you resent your changes or that they have become obstacles for you, then change it all up again and see what happens. There is no single formula for everybody that works, and part of your job in getting healthy is collecting data about what seems to work for you and what doesn't. For the rest of your life it will be your job to pay attention to your body and what it is telling you, as its need will certainly change. This is the definition of self-care, and this is the lifestyle that leads to a great quality of life.
    If you do end up naked in the baked goods aisle having a psychotic break/sugargasm, then I'm guessing the total elimination thing doesn't really work that well for you. But if you get a good PR agent, you might be able to parley the incident into some fame and maybe a book or movie deal. Sounds like a great one for the Lifetime channel. ;)
    Good luck!
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Family, friends, coworkers, etc take you to a place you enjoy. You know you love the grilled stuff, with nachos, cheese, extra taco, etc, but do you give in, or opt for the 3 taco meal? Last time I went out to dinner with a friend he got the bacon wrapped steak, I had chicken breasts with mushrooms, no cheese, no sauce, and drank water. :-D

A function at work has work paying for your meals. They cater in some food. Do you give in or eat your home made sandwich?
    This week they did that because of some quality control crap. They brought in breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches. I sat at my desk eating my veggie omelette and went out and got chicken breasts with brocolli and carrots for lunch.

If you find you have the urge, give yourself 2 free meals a week. Not cheat meals (dont call it that, it makes it feel wrong) but free meals, AND NOT 2 FREE DAYS. You will kick yourself every week.
    I thought about that, I'm concerned I won't be able to kick back at all. So I'm going to try to go at least a month before I let my "cravings" have a reward.

I gave up soda. I recently found diet Sierra Mist which is quite good. Diet 7 Up is good too. Those are low cal, some people will say the sugar is bad. That's another arguement. I don't drink anything but water. I've had 1 glass of diet coke, and I didn't want it after I had it. So I stopped getting it refilled.

I appreciate the insight, and yeah, I've been asking myself those questions as to what I plan to do if I get into those situations. I'm hoping I just stay strong. Regardless of all the humor in the first post I really REALLY almost lost it when I picked up 4 of the larger size retail Zebra Cakes to take to a friend of mine who just had a baby. It was almost ugly in the check out line. lol
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I also appreciate the fact that alot of you are telling me to stay strong. I try really hard not to give in, but any amount of support and motivation are amazingly appreciated. Thank you all.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stay strong and in a few weeks, if you indulge, you will probably find the crap is just that.
  • erebar
    erebar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    loved your post!!

For me over the years if I tried to completely eliminate or drastically change too much at once, i would eventually fail. (I'm an all or nothing person) Maybe you are stronger than me! This time I'm just making consistent small changes. Like working out doing something every day. Instead of telling myself I have to run a 5k or workout an hour etc. Same with food, I love to eat ice cream, so now when I'm really wanting something sweet I'll have an juice popsicle or a Kashi cookie. For me it helps it not build and then I binge. As the weeks have gone and I'm feeling better and stronger... I'm even wanting to eat and exercise better. Those first few weeks were the hardest for me. Good luck. All the posts / friends are so encouraging and help motivate and keep going.