A good overall exercise?

Options
What do you find most successfull in burning fat and toning up?

I have heard that running and swimming are the best over all exercises and burn the most calories.

Which do you prefer? And which in your opinion showed better results?

Thank you :smile:
Hanna

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options

I have heard that running and swimming are the best over all exercises and burn the most calories.

Hanna
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Compound exercises that work several major muscle groups help, since they burn more calories than a standard lift.

For example, lunge to twist, burpees, turkish getups...

Supersets work well, where you train one group then another unrelated on back to back

For example, a set of bicep curls followed by leg extensions.

Interval cardio is REALLY good, but it's tough. Warmup, then run at 90% effot for 45 seconds, then rest at 50% effort for a 1min 30 secs, then repeat for as many intervals as you can.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Hanna
    I :heart: my elliptical trainer.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    i don't really swim because i'm terrible at it but i've heard many times it is like the superfood for exercise. It works all muscle groups and is not hard on your joints like running can be. Personally if i want to burn a lot of calories in a short time then i do interval work or take a vigorous bike ride.
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Hanna
    I :heart: my elliptical trainer.

I have to agree :bigsmile:
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Swimming can burn up to 700 calories per hour, so I've read in my fitness magazine.

But with every single form of exercise on the planet, this is only if you're really pushing it, all the way.

Don't get suckered in by "this exercise burns more than that one", because if you ain't putting the effort in you ain't burning anything!
  • Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I have decided to run home from work tomorrow. It is 2.1 miles according to Google maps and would take 42 minutes to walk. I hope I will make it. That would be a major thing for me if I make it home without giving in and taking the bus half way through. I dont like running. Not at all. But I like even less being so unfit! :smile: