Frustrated!....need advice & support

Options
I am very frustrated right now, this has been a good week on eating with only having one bad meal on Monday that I should not have had. I have been to the gym this week and even started adding in some jogging. Monday was the only day that I was over 1200 calories! I know that I need to at least eat 1200 calories and I am trying but I am not always able to eat back the calories that I burn. I weighed Tuesday night to see how/if I had hurt myself on the scale with Mon dinner, but to my surprise the scale showed that I had lost 1 lb. I also started tracking my sodium this week to see if maybe that’s why I have stopped losing at the rate that I was at first. Well needless to say today is my weigh in (WI) day and I was saddened b/c it shows a 0.5 gain, so I gained the 1 that I lost + 0.5 lbs…. what am I doing wrong???

Replies

• rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sometimes I have weeks like that too. If the trend continues for another week, you're probably eating too little on most days.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water ? xx
  • teamiconic
    teamiconic Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I hear you question. I am off to he gym and I will respond when I get back ;)
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I would not let the scale rule your judgement of your fitness. There are other ways to tell, body fat for one, but the scale will fluctuate. Also, you need to remember that working out, may add muscle, but that is something that should be desired and does not mean you aren't loosing the inches and getting closer to your fitness goals. Another thing to note, your caloric intake should not be too low or else you can throw your body into starvation mode. Here your metabolism will slow and start to store more fat and eat away at your muscle instead. You can start to plan out your meals and workouts more. If you know you are going to workout, eat a little more that day, but stay close to your recommended nutrition plan. You body needs the fuel. 1 last thing I would like to add is make sure you are eating at least 4 times a day, preferably 6. This is what has worked for me. It sped up my metabolism because my body knew it was safe to use the calories I was giving it. It knew they would be replaced soon.
  • edwacl
    edwacl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    10 pounds lost in 1 month. That was quite a good achivement. Yeah ive plateud after losing 10 pounds too but i keep going and lost 20 so far. Just dont give up and hang in there.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can see what you are eating. With sodium, the thing to remember is that potassium cancels out the effects of sodium. Even if your sodium levels are good, you could still retain water if your potassium is defecient. I ran into this problem after I lost the first 30 lbs. I had edema really bad. My feet swelled like water balloons. I watched the sodium and was doing well but the swelling went away. Then, thanks to MFP, I learned about the relationship between sodium and potassium. I went into the reports feature and sure enough I was deficient. So I started tracking potassium too (and eating more bananas :smile: ) and the swelling started going down and I started losing again.

Other than that, I would have to see your diary to comment further.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy is a marathon and not a sprint. It’s not about how fast you get out of the blocks but how consistent you are over the long haul!! Be positive stay strong, and get after it!!
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    Hi there,

Firstly, you should be proud of yourself for putting yourself on high priority. Losing weight and changing your lifestyle take time. and learning what works for you takes even more time and energy. Women also have the additional challenge of hormonal changes that can cause your body to function differently at times, and we often react more dramatically physically to stressors etc.

Some of my go to behaviours are as follows:

-Drink LOTS of water especially if you are plateauing. I drink about 2 litres per day or more.
    -Avoid sugar subsitutes and sugar free pops and drinks. These will not only cause you to retain water, but increase your desire for carb's because the sweetners trigger you to produce insullin and there is no actual sugar to burn.
    -Try adding small amounts of fruit juices or lemon lime to water if you don't like plain water, and try a pepermint or herbal tea in the afternoon instead of a coffee
    -Caffeine can also cause you to retain ( but I own that and still have probably too much! no coffee in my system is not fun for anyone)
    -Lastly, try and stick to clean eating as often as possible. Meaning, whole foods and cut back on processed ones, also minimizing carb's will allow you to eat more proteins and fruits and vegetables. this will not only help you feel more satisfied but it will also give your body what it needs.
    -encorporating a good quality ideally food based multi-vitamine also ensures that your body is nourished!

One other thing I noted from your comment is that you seem to be tracking exercise. I have opted to slightly increase my food and not track the exercise. We all burn calories differently and it is far to subjective. So I eat 1550 calories a day and do not subtract any of my exercise. I lose about 1-1.5 lbs per week ( sometimes more and sometimes less) But it has been very stable. I have had my metabolism tested and do have a high metabolism overall apparently despite my ongoing battles with weight. But my friends have all settled in a range of 1200-1400 for the most part. you may want to try this it is so easy to want to just starve yourself to lose, but it really is the most important to ensure you are nourishing your body. It is easy for your body to go into starvation mode and this will casue you to hold onto everything!

Best of luck and please don't get discouraged your body needs to trust that it is going to get what it needs! it You can do it and we are here to help you!
  • meosha30
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can see what you are eating. With sodium, the thing to remember is that potassium cancels out the effects of sodium. Even if your sodium levels are good, you could still retain water if your potassium is defecient. I ran into this problem after I lost the first 30 lbs. I had edema really bad. My feet swelled like water balloons. I watched the sodium and was doing well but the swelling went away. Then, thanks to MFP, I learned about the relationship between sodium and potassium. I went into the reports feature and sure enough I was deficient. So I started tracking potassium too (and eating more bananas :smile: ) and the swelling started going down and I started losing again.

Other than that, I would have to see your diary to comment further.

I guess the default is private, but I have found the setting and opened it to my friends.
    mandycasey - Good point, I have been slacking on my water intake
    swhitney2 - I sent you a friend request. I can't eat bananas allergic, what else can I add? I will try to check on the report for the sodium & potassijm
    scrapbookdiva2 - I want to reach 1200cal a day b/c I dont want my body to go into starvation mode.

I am trying to follow the 30Day Meal Plan, 4meals 2snacks, but sometimes I am not able to get that 4th meal in.

Thanks everyone for your advice & support.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay. I took a look. Everything looks pretty good. I would make one suggestion. Try increasing your fiber. I don't watch mine in my diary but I do watch it on my phone app. I try to get 30 to 35 mg of fiber every day. Fiber helps the removal of fat. However, you have to be careful with it because you can get too much. If you overdo it, then you could deplete your body of some valuable nutrients, and you can suffer from IBS-like symptoms. You can get a lot of fiber from fresh fruits and veggies or whole grains. I love cereal so I eat high-fiber cereals very often. Also, I will eat Fiber One bars for snacks. I eat at least one a day.
  • trenakamille
    Options
    Don't be frustrated....this has happened to me. As a matter of fact it happened to me last week....I had lost 2 pounds and when I got back on a few days later I gained it. It was that TOM, so I pray that's the reason. I don't like getting on the scale that often. I know it sounds crazy but I weigh myself every 3 weeks so I don't have to deal with the feeling of gaining a pound. So...it can be a number of things (TOM, not enough water or exercise, stress, and NOT enough calories). Trust me I feel your pain, but we will get over this hump together.

9566732.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools