I think my scale is lying to me :(

Options
2»

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    If its right...then it could be water weight you are losing. Thats a lot to lose in 1 week.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I think it was a penny and a pad of paper... lol. I moved it out of the way. But each time I didn't look until a few seconds later (so I couldn't manipulate the reading), and the 2nd time it was 2 lbs less. Next week I am going to recheck actual measurements though, because those are more accurate anyway.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey!! She is saying she lost a Total of 10 pounds. All together.

But she lost 4 lbs in a week.

Didn't know we had so many Math Majors out there.

Judging by the random capitalizations, we don't have many English majors.

That made me laugh!!! :-)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    "Math is hard." -Barbie
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

You forgot to capitalize "Me".
  • ATGM41
    ATGM41 Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree....I always take three measurements. Sometimes its in my favor, sometimes not...its like when I take my blood pressure readings three times, I get three different numbers...then I average them out. With the bathroom scale, sometimes there can be a 6 pound difference between three readings!!! Its a digital scale, about $50 range, I think it depends more on where I step on it. However there is a really expensive mechanical scale at the Boeing gym where I work out, and it is always consistent. Definitely for a home scale, take more than one reading. Hopefully you are losing weight! If you are here, then that must be your goal and it is a good one.
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I don't think 4 pounds is that unusual when you have a bit to lose and you've been following your plan. If you were something like 20 pounds from your optimum weight, then 4 pounds in a week would be unusual.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Good catch. It made Me laugh as much as a Hyena.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You lose 4lbs you should be happy!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Good catch. It made Me laugh as much as a Hyena.
    Now you're just being Silly.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I also don't take just one number. My floor isn't level so I find the "best" spot and take 3 or more readings. When I get a the same number more than once, that is what I take. I hate scales! Annoying IMO.

Also, 4 lbs in a week isn't unheard of when your are pushing and working hard. Most likely this week it will be less. I usually have 1-2 weeks in the month were I lose most of my weight and then 1-2 with little to no loss. The up and down gets old but that is life. Take that number for the week and just move forward.

Good job!
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeah its totally possible ... I lost a whopping 670lbs in one weekend - wanna know how? I cut off the inlaws.

Husband's father - 220lbs
    Husband's step mother - 210lbs
    Husband's brother - 240lbs

Anyone kind enough to double check my math??

Biggest NSV like... EVER :)
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Yeah its totally possible ... I lost a whopping 670lbs in one weekend - wanna know how? I cut off the inlaws.

LMAO! Congratulations!
  • ATGM41
    ATGM41 Posts: 9
    Options
    That is so funny. Nice humor. My arm will heal probably in a few weeks, after falling out of my swivel chair from uncontrolled laughter.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    I can lose four pounds in a couple of hours, maybe less. A big dump and a nice run in the heat. 4 pounds, gone.

Daily even weekly fluctuations have little do with permanent weight loss. It is simply fluid. Some days you expel more fluid than you take in, some days less. If you consider that 2 cups of water is one pound and if you're drinking 8 cups a day, it doesn't take much retention or release to shift a couple of pounds in a relatively short period of time.

Getting overly excited or depressed over short term gains/losses is silly. Unfortunately, it prevails a lot around here and causes a lot of unnecessary emotions and irrational hatred of the scale. The scale gets a bad rap, but it shouldn't. Most people just don't know how to use the tool right.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The scale gets a bad rap, but it shouldn't. Most people just don't know how to use the tool right.

^^^So true. I'm just learning this lesson
  • mcadams1
    Options

LMAO! Congratulations!

OMG, I am cracking up reading all these posts, laughing is good exercise, can I put that in my log?
  • mcadams1
    Options
    Sorry, those should have been quotes, just figured out how to do it, duh
  • Gtacken
    Options
    Bathroom scales are pretty inaccurate to start with, your body weight fluctuates naturally up to 2kg (4 pounds) depending on your water levels.

Scales are useful, but I've found your better off measuring progress with a tape measure. And have a constant time, once a week you measure and weigh yourself.

I also recommend recording the results, it's a great inspiration to see how far you've come.