Protien Shakes

Options
I am considering buying some protein powder as a supplement. Not repacement. Any suggestions on the best tasting, filling and lowest calorie type or brand? I'm looking to loose weigh not bulk up. lol:smile:

Replies

• legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I like the Jay Robb stuff because it tastes good and mixes well.
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    I absolutely love Level 1. I just got into the protein stuff myself
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    i like the gnc vanilla whey protien complex. only 17 grams of protien, 100 cals, 1 gram of fat, and 2 grams of sugar. and it tastes fantastic! almost like vanilla graham crackers.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I haven't bulk up with the protein shake yet (not that I'm looking to). I'm currently using Muscle Milk 100% whey protein powder bought at costco. Pretty cheap and it taste good to me. Vanilla or chocolate flavor mixed with kirkland soy milk. It's pretty high calories with the soy milk mix. 280 calories for me (I drink it as a meal replacement). If you want to mix it with water, it is 130 calories a scoop for 8 oz of water.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up simply because you are using protein powder. As long as you are still at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Getting protein from whey is not any different than eating a steak with the same amount of protein (except there will be less fat).

I use the Target brand (Market Pantry) chocolate flavored whey powder. One scoop is 140 calories with 25g protein.
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am drinking the shakes by Visalus. I am NOT a distributer. I am a real person looking to lose weight and this stuff has really helped me!! It is suppose to be a replacement, but I still eat some kind of vegetable with it :) The energy you get from it is really and truely AMAZING. I was very skeptical and I am always the devils advocate when it comes to things like this, but it has really given me a boost and the protein in it is awesome too :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I do the premade Chocolate Premier Protein Shakes.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress from Wal-Mart. I like it!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Costco - Cytosport (Muscle Milk) - 100% Whey Protein Chocolate - 140 Calories. I like the taste, the cost is good. But I think the cholesterol is a little high, could be lower.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like Isapro from Isagenix. Unflavored, whey protein, gluten free with amino acids

:happy:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I like Nesquick......but that's not really a protein shake......but, I have heard from an abtastic guy at work that putting oatmeal in your protein shake (chop it up in the blender mixed with water first then add the protein shake and a little more water and blend it again) keeps you full longer. I have no interest in trying it, but that's the word on the street.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would be careful about the carb count in these shakes: if you're using it for energy right before a workout or some other calorie-burning activity, go for it. But if you're using it *after* your workout, or as a meal replacement / supplement as you sit in a cubicle in front of a computer, choose a low-carb option.

Check out the options online: many brands offer trial or sample sizes you can order, so you can try the flavor & see whether you really like it before you commit to buying a giant $30 jar. I'd definitely start with those brands!
    My fave is Syntrax Nectar because it mixes well with just water & a spoon, and because it comes in a wide variety of flavors.

I mix vanilla protein powder with strawberry or peach tea Crystal Light powder in a large glass of water, that's pretty good, like peaches'n'cream. I've also mixed a cup of coffee, a handful of ice, and a scoop of cappuccino-flavored powder. If you're craving chocolate ice cream, you can substitute a cup of plain Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder mixed in.

Good luck!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard whey, chocolate flavor. This stuff mixes easy and tastes great.
  • rla331
    rla331 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Lean shake, ready to drink bottles.(the regular ones, not the lean shake 25) I have the chocolate twice a day (as a meal replacement). They are so good! They make it much easier for me to stick with it. They have: 170 calories, 6 grams fat, 25 grams protein, 6 grams carbs, 3 fiber, and only 2 sugar.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I like the Body Fortress Whey protein from Walmart, it's cheap and tastes good!!! Plus it was all the good ingredients your body needs.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a consumer reports article about the levels of toxic heavy metals in some brands of protein powders. Something to consider before buying simply by price.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

I consume on average 2 scoop of a whey casien blend, but the manufacturer is not on this list.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I use EAS because I can buy it at Sams. 5lbs for $30.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will take all of these suggestions into account before I buy.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is generally accepted to be the cream of the crop but it's hella expensive. I use Matrix Nutrition Whey chocolate which I bought online for about £40 for 5kg. I think that may be a UK one though. Tasty and nutritious though - 146 cals, 23g protein, 11g complex carbs. Mix it with skim milk and the protein content shoots to 31g for 237 cals.

Jay
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'd say to do some research on the different types of protein for your needs.

For post resistance training, Whey is better as it's fast acting.

For when you're not doing resistance work, Casein can be better as it's slow release.

There's a school of thought that says Casein prevents Whey from doing it's 'fast acting' thing though so be careful of mixing the 2.

Jay