The Honesty Conundrum: What do people really eat?

Options
Keeping an accurate record of your daily intake is key to successful weight loss.

One reality of life as a university dean is a never-ending schedule of receptions with generous amounts of tempting food and drink. While standing near a sumptuous hors d’oeuvres table recently, I overheard a fellow faculty member being grilled by his spouse about what he had eaten so far that day. This colleague struggles with his weight, and his wife has clearly assumed a policing role. He dutifully reported fruit and yogurt for breakfast and a turkey wrap with water for lunch.

As his placated wife walked away, he whispered to me that he hadn’t mentioned three after-lunch cookies. Moments later, I saw him down four bacon-wrapped pastries, and I mentally calculated the 300 calories he had just added while his wife wasn’t looking. I figured he would also “forget” to include these snacks in his next report.

This common behavior vexes nutritionists as we try to establish the links between diet and health. We know that many people, even highly intelligent and articulate professionals, don’t accurately report what they eat and drink. Some people list food intakes so low that even if they spent all their time sleeping, they would be losing weight or even emaciated. For example, a 5-foot 9-inch 30-year-old woman who weighs 143 pounds and has an active lifestyle needs about 2,550 calories a day to maintain her weight. If she reports eating only 2,000 calories a day, she should be losing about a pound a week. If she’s not losing weight, there’s a good chance she is what nutritionists label an “underreporter.”

I suspect that most of us have been guilty of this at one time or another, and it’s likely that most underreporting comes from a desire to say what seems acceptable to the person asking. We know that overweight people are worse reporters than lean people, women are worse than men, and as children age they get worse too. Women tend to say they weigh less, while men tend to make themselves taller. People especially underreport the “sin” foods that they “don’t remember” eating: cakes and pies, salty snack foods, soft drinks and fatty spreads. On the other hand, they are quite good at describing their intakes of vegetables and fruits.

Why does this matter?
It can dramatically distort what we think we know about the diet-health connection. A few years ago, a widely publicized study using self-reported food intakes of more than 80,000 women found no link between total fat intake and the development of heart disease. But if the overweight women were more likely than the lean to underreport their intakes of high-fat foods, diet researchers could miss a valid association.

To help with this conundrum in my own research, we speculated that participants might be put off by the size 2, 100-pound graduate students interviewing them. Who would want to fess up about the eight cookies or pint of ice cream in one sitting to such questioners? So we tried phone interviews with an unfamiliar interviewer. People still underreported. We tried an empathetic interviewer of similar size and age to the interviewees. Underreporting remained the same. We’re now in the midst of a study in which our volunteers are using PDAs (personal digital assistants) to record their food intake. We’ll see if this technology helps.

The one question I hear constantly is: “Why can’t I lose weight?” What I say is: “Perhaps you’re not really counting everything you eat. One of the most powerful tools you can use is a food diary. I promise—if you keep an honest diary, it will help!”

We know that people who weigh themselves regularly and record what they eat are more successful at losing weight and maintaining the loss compared with those who don’t perform these tasks. But honesty and awareness count: don’t forget the handful of nuts you grabbed on the run, the milkshake you shared with a friend, the last few bites of dinner you savored while cleaning up the dishes. Most people are surprised at how much unconscious eating they do. At the end of the day, look up the calorie content of everything in your diary (see box). Even if you don’t get it exactly right, you’ll be way ahead of the game. I’m thrilled when people are honest with their dietitian, because they have reached the crucial point of just being honest with themselves.

—Rachel Johnson, Ph.D., M.P.H., R.D.

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Keeping an accurate record of your daily intake is key to successful weight loss.

One reality of life as a university dean is a never-ending schedule of receptions with generous amounts of tempting food and drink. While standing near a sumptuous hors d’oeuvres table recently, I overheard a fellow faculty member being grilled by his spouse about what he had eaten so far that day. This colleague struggles with his weight, and his wife has clearly assumed a policing role. He dutifully reported fruit and yogurt for breakfast and a turkey wrap with water for lunch.

As his placated wife walked away, he whispered to me that he hadn’t mentioned three after-lunch cookies. Moments later, I saw him down four bacon-wrapped pastries, and I mentally calculated the 300 calories he had just added while his wife wasn’t looking. I figured he would also “forget” to include these snacks in his next report.

This common behavior vexes nutritionists as we try to establish the links between diet and health. We know that many people, even highly intelligent and articulate professionals, don’t accurately report what they eat and drink. Some people list food intakes so low that even if they spent all their time sleeping, they would be losing weight or even emaciated. For example, a 5-foot 9-inch 30-year-old woman who weighs 143 pounds and has an active lifestyle needs about 2,550 calories a day to maintain her weight. If she reports eating only 2,000 calories a day, she should be losing about a pound a week. If she’s not losing weight, there’s a good chance she is what nutritionists label an “underreporter.”

I suspect that most of us have been guilty of this at one time or another, and it’s likely that most underreporting comes from a desire to say what seems acceptable to the person asking. We know that overweight people are worse reporters than lean people, women are worse than men, and as children age they get worse too. Women tend to say they weigh less, while men tend to make themselves taller. People especially underreport the “sin” foods that they “don’t remember” eating: cakes and pies, salty snack foods, soft drinks and fatty spreads. On the other hand, they are quite good at describing their intakes of vegetables and fruits.

Why does this matter?
    It can dramatically distort what we think we know about the diet-health connection. A few years ago, a widely publicized study using self-reported food intakes of more than 80,000 women found no link between total fat intake and the development of heart disease. But if the overweight women were more likely than the lean to underreport their intakes of high-fat foods, diet researchers could miss a valid association.

To help with this conundrum in my own research, we speculated that participants might be put off by the size 2, 100-pound graduate students interviewing them. Who would want to fess up about the eight cookies or pint of ice cream in one sitting to such questioners? So we tried phone interviews with an unfamiliar interviewer. People still underreported. We tried an empathetic interviewer of similar size and age to the interviewees. Underreporting remained the same. We’re now in the midst of a study in which our volunteers are using PDAs (personal digital assistants) to record their food intake. We’ll see if this technology helps.

The one question I hear constantly is: “Why can’t I lose weight?” What I say is: “Perhaps you’re not really counting everything you eat. One of the most powerful tools you can use is a food diary. I promise—if you keep an honest diary, it will help!”

We know that people who weigh themselves regularly and record what they eat are more successful at losing weight and maintaining the loss compared with those who don’t perform these tasks. But honesty and awareness count: don’t forget the handful of nuts you grabbed on the run, the milkshake you shared with a friend, the last few bites of dinner you savored while cleaning up the dishes. Most people are surprised at how much unconscious eating they do. At the end of the day, look up the calorie content of everything in your diary (see box). Even if you don’t get it exactly right, you’ll be way ahead of the game. I’m thrilled when people are honest with their dietitian, because they have reached the crucial point of just being honest with themselves.

—Rachel Johnson, Ph.D., M.P.H., R.D.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, ChubbyBunny!!!:happy: Since starting mfp, I have take this to heart! I record every tbs of mayo, every snack- even when I have a bad day, I make an effort to record all of the over-eating. This has served several purposes: first, I now have a better idea of how the calories add up with bad food:sad: , and knowing I have to record everything makes me stop eating the last few bites of mac-n-cheese or pretzels the kids didn't finish!:noway:

Thanks for this!:bigsmile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I sooo needed to read this.
    I HAVEN'T been taking it to heart...and I've been here a year!

I'll tell you what...my french bread consumption has been WAY off if I am counting it in ozs!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Wow ChubbyBunny! Great post - I do tend to leave out a few things here and there, mostly just thinking in the overall picture it won't change the outcome:ohwell: But, I see that the overall picture should definately include gaining the ability to be completely honest with myself and to really own my eating habits:grumble:

Thanks for sharing this.

lulu:heart:
  • Aliseb
    Aliseb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really need to start doing what aprilvet says. Personally, I'm generally good about sticking to my menus (I tend to fill in mfp in the morning for the whole day, thereby ensuring that I stay within my limits). However, when I fall off the wagon, I lie to myself and pretend the day didn't exist and put nothing in my mfp. I really shouldn't do this, b/c as you mention, it's good to show yourself where you're getting sidetracked (even if we already damn well know this already)!

About ounces, my scale has really helped me with portions, but I do every thing in metric making it a bit simpler.
  • rachmj526
    rachmj526 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    great post!

I know I try to log everything I eat, but sometimes it has to go into the notes section because I would have no idea of how to enter it. :laugh: But at least it helps me to realize all that I'm eating.

on a side note: The author and I share the same name! :tongue:
  • pricer15
    pricer15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not being honest with myself is one of the major reasons I have not lost weight in the past. I have been in WW for (gasp, just realized) 5 years. I keep going to the meetings because I know that if I stop, I'll give up and gain all my weight back. I did lose 50 lbs in WW but now, am only 16 pounds lower than my highest weight.:sad:

Since faithfully marking my food in the MFP food diary, I have noticed a problem. I have a hard time eating enough calories, unless I eat out, then I eat too much. I read the posts about how MFP calculates the calories you need to meet your weight loss goal and that is what shows up on your food diary as daily goal. Then if you log exercise, it adds those calories back into your goal, giving you more to eat that day. I read in posts here that you should eat your exercise calories so that you don't lower your metabolism by not taking in enough food. Here is an example using my numbers.

I weigh about 260 now. That means I need approximately 260 x 9 = 2340 cal/day or 16,380/week to maintain my weight. I have a goal of losing 1.5 pounds per week which is 3500 + 1750 = 5250 calories to reduce each week. 16,380 - 5250 = 11,130/week or 1590/day. So my MFP food intake goal is set for near 1600 per day. When I exercise, those calories are added in to the daily total.

As an example, yesterday I ate 191 cal for Bfast, 424 for Lunch, 225 for afternoon snack, 373 for dinner, and 'had to' eat another 329 in the evening (pretty late mind you) in order to get in my calories for the day. And this is a day I did not exercise!

My problem is that I am not hungry, don't feel good eating that late at night, and wonder if (except for eating out) one of my problems in not losing weight is that I haven't been eating enough? I'm really referring to prior to coming to MFP when I wasn't tracking my food. On WW I noticed that I pretty much stayed within my daily points and did not eat my extra 35 per week.

Can anyone tell me (refer me to posts) how long it takes to ramp one's metabolism back up if I haven't been eating enough? I know I should eat all my calories and will, uncomfortable or not. I'm wondering if I should visit a nutritionist to get some specific help in getting my metabolism back up to speed.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand lying to yourself. Lying to other people, sure... what business is it of theirs what we eat anyway? But who are you fooling if you lie to yourself? It's not like you didn't know you ate what you ate.
    I read in posts here that you should eat your exercise calories so that you don't lower your metabolism by not taking in enough food.
    I know this is the MFP philosophy, but I completely disagree with it. First of all, even with a HRM, your exercise calories are still only an estimate. If you eat them all, you risk eating too much and wiping out your calorie deficit. To be conservative, you shouldn't eat more than half of them.

Secondly, the whole "starvation mode" theory as presented here is a myth. Yes, if your calories drop below what you need, your metabolism slows down a bit and if you do this for a long period of time, it can slow down a lot. But you are still operating at a calorie deficit and you will still lose weight.

So, as an example:

An individual who needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, will lose as follows (assuming calorie expenditure -- i.e., exercise -- remains the same):

Calories...Expected Loss Per Week..Actual Loss
    1,500 .......1 pound.................................1 pound
    1,000 .......2 pounds ............................. 2 pound
    .500 .........3 pounds ............................. 2¼ to 2½ pounds.

So once you go below a certain level, you aren't getting the expected weight loss if your metabolism remained the same, but you are still losing more than if you didn't reduce your calories. This is a lot different than the "no" weight loss that the "starvation mode" myth touts.

Not to mention, in the studies that found this effect that starvation has on metabolism, a starvation diet is defined as eating 50% (or less) of your calorie expenditure in a day for a long period of time. So not eating 400 calories one day is not going to put you in starvation mode.

These studies were also done on lean individuals. When they were repeated on obese individuals, they found that the effect was lessened. Obese people have amply fat stores to burn for energy and so the metabolism doesn't need to be slowed down as much to presserve muscle mass and organs.

I would say that if you are honest about what you are eating and conservative about reporting your exercise and aren't losing weight, that the MFP formulas are telling you to eat too many calories. They are just formulas and just estimates. Adjust them to what works for you. It's your body!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks, CB!
    This is really good.
    I had a conversation with a friend last week who said she wasn't interested in MFP, because if she ate something she shouldn't, she just wouldn't log it in.
    :huh:
    That's the way she has always "dieted" & that's exactly why so many of us don't like our results - we spend so much time cheating ourselves then bad mouthing the diet - "didn't work for me..."
    I've made a commitment to myself to follow MFP & really follow through this time around.
    :ohwell:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Georg, I totally get that. I always used to blame the diet not that I wasn't being totally honest.
    I mean, I haven't ALWAYS put in butter, bread crusts from kiddos sandwich, etc.
    Only bites me in the butt.

**Side note, there are many other posts about the "MFP philosophy" and figuring out calories, etc.
    Please, lets not side track my post.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Cheryl- a few thoughts for you:

1- think of your cals in terms of daily, not weekly amounts. You can't really "bank" calories all week for a splurge on Saturday night.

2- it may take your body 1-2 weeks, possibly longer to reverse a starvation mode. This is only if you've been really under-eating for a while.

3- try to eat a bigger breakfast plus one more mid-day snack so you don't have to cram in extra calories late at night.

Good Luck!!