Want to go coffee free, but not sure what to replace it with

Options
2»

Replies

• Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I was dependent on coffee. I used to drink 3-5 cups a day. I had to quit because of gastritis and was wondering how I would be able to go a day without it. I thought I would die without coffee. I took it slowly. First I mixed half regular coffee and half decaf coffee and drink every morning. I started drinking green tea every day in addition to the half coffee/half decaf mix since my body need caffeine. It's mostly diluted though. 1 pot tea, 1 tea bag. I continue to ween myself off of the caffeine each day. Within a week I was just drinking decaf :sick: It doesn't replace coffee but it's a substitute. After a little over 2 weeks the coffee craving is gone and I don't need to drink that decaf yuckiness anymore. Now its Green tea all day every day!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You can always substitute a glass of good old Orange juice for your morning coffee. It's actually supposed to have the same effects without all the caffeine. I definitely agree with all the water drinkers out there. Water is extremely important. I was a mtn dew drinker myself. A 2 liter a day at least. Now I'm down to 20 ounces of diet dew with the rest water. Good luck and keep it up!
    Doug
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I went coffee free about 6 months ago. I drink green tea instead, it makes me feel much more fresh and alert instead of coffee which made me feel "buzzy" in the head and gave me the a false sense of alertness!!!

Love me green tea!!
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For about 95% of the time I've switched to Green Tea, and I throw Ginger syrup in there. It's worked pretty well and is way better on my stomach.

I have been considering ditching coffee and switching to green tea....where do you find ginger syrup, it sounds tasty!

I make it, easiest thing in the world. 1 Part Water, 1 Part Sugar (I usually use 1-2 cups each), 1 Ginger root sliced or grossly shredded. Bring the water and sugar to a boil then turn down the heat to a light simmer. Add in the ginger root and let it simmer for 25-40 minutes (big range, just depends on heat and quantity). When it gets lightly syruppy, strain out the ginger peices and store in the fridge. I usually had about 5-10cc's for 2 tea bags. Let me know if you need anymore info.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    have a big breakfast with bacon and toast and turkey meatballs and some ham, you won't miss the coffee and the protein is awesome
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    For about 95% of the time I've switched to Green Tea, and I throw Ginger syrup in there. It's worked pretty well and is way better on my stomach.

I have been considering ditching coffee and switching to green tea....where do you find ginger syrup, it sounds tasty!

I make it, easiest thing in the world. 1 Part Water, 1 Part Sugar (I usually use 1-2 cups each), 1 Ginger root sliced or grossly shredded. Bring the water and sugar to a boil then turn down the heat to a light simmer. Add in the ginger root and let it simmer for 25-40 minutes (big range, just depends on heat and quantity). When it gets lightly syruppy, strain out the ginger peices and store in the fridge. I usually had about 5-10cc's for 2 tea bags. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Perfect! Thanks so much!
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You could try switching up the type of coffee you are drinking. Different types of beans/roasting produces different acidities. You could look for a smooth, mellow blend. Or, actually, I think Folgers makes an easy-on-the-stomach ground coffee.

Or, like everyone else is suggesting- green tea. Less caffeine, but it's comparable! Plus it's high in antioxidants and deliciousness. Make a double strength batch and ice it for yummy iced green tea. You can add fruit, citrus, honey or spicey flavors to your green tea very easily as well- they go together nicely.

Someone else suggested Matcha, which is just a finely ground Japanese green tea- it's got a lot of caffeine because its rather concentrated. (It's what Starbucks uses to make their green-tea frappucinos (Which, when made to recipe, have a lot of sugar in them, so don't replace it with those...)
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I do a lot of water with this new flavor of crystal light. It's called wild strawberry and it's labeled energy. It definitely gives me my pick-me-up and I can get my water requirements in at the same time. Of course there are more ingredients and artificial flavoring than coffee that some people might discourage from since it isn't an all-natural beverage.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    coffee used to tear up my stomach bad, I couldn't give it up but I've found relief in doing something that feels completely unnatural: eating BEFORE I drink my coffee *shrug*
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    You could try switching up the type of coffee you are drinking. Different types of beans/roasting produces different acidities. You could look for a smooth, mellow blend.

this is a really good point, being aware of where your beans are from and how they're roasted will help, so you can find something with lower acidity.....
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 17 Day Diet, and as per the recommendations of this program, I start EVERY day with an 8 ounce mug of warm water with the juice of half of a fresh lemon squeezed in. This is to get your digestion going in the morning. I also eat 2 Probiotic servings per day as part of this plan - I love plain Greek yogurt sweetened with Stevia. These two things alone might help your stomach issues.

As for a lovely hot beverage - I'm a tea-drinker, never developed a taste for coffee.

I like "sugar and milk" in my hot tea, and I like the Chai flavors of tea. My favorite tea bags are Yogi Classic Indian Spice, and Yogi Chai Green. Been using nearly exclusively the Chai Green, love it hot and even iced!

Here's how I make my hot tea in my office at work:

I brew the tea in a small Mr. Coffee that has NEVER been used to make coffee! 4 cup coffee maker, 2 tea bags, then I run another 2 cups through those. I add more tea bags as needed throughout the day!

Once brewed, I pour a tall mug of this hot, spicy, part Black/part Green tea, I then add Davinci's or Torani's Sugar Free Syrups - today's "mix" includes sugar free flavors of French Vanilla, Caramel, Whte Chocolate, and Brown Sugar Cinnamon. OR just one packet of Stevia-In-The-Raw if I'm trying to simplify!

ADD TO THAT a generous splash of Silk Pure Almond Milk - unsweetened and unflavored. The milk is 35 cals for a FULL CUP, so for this decadent, sweet, hot, creamy beverage, I'm getting less than 10 calories - probably closer to 5. Spicy chai flavors, plus the sweetners, plus the Almond Milk flavor - YUMMMMMMMMMILICIOUS!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    Thanks all, I am shocked at how many people actually drink green tea in the morning. I drink green tea through out the day and during the evening till I go to bed, but didn't think about drinking it in the morning because I don't find an increase in my energy. The green tea is also very easy on my stomach, so I guess I'll just add it to the morning routine. And I will look into the suggestion of a B-complex vitamin as well. We do have 5hour shots too, but they end up leaving me all jittery after awhile. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yerba mate has a good amount of caffeine and is pretty tasty - easier on the stomach, too. I drink a lot of tea and like to switch it up - I actually keep an electric kettle in my office for fast water boiling and it keeps me from having enough time to convince myself that I want to go out for coffee.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I drink chai tea instead, or I add about 1/4 of the cup or more skim milk this seems to help

Oregon Chai makes a SF liquid concentrate that is very good, if you do sugar free foods. I find their 50% milk 50% chai mixing suggestion too strong, so I agree with my quote that you should dilute it more.
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    I quite coffee cold turkey as well....i drink water and green tea....