Running - Treadmill vs. Pavement

Options
Good Morning!!

I have started the C25K program this week and have a quick question. Should I be doing this program outdoors or is on the treadmill sufficent? I do not want to do the program on the treadmill and then go to run a 5k and not be able to complete it. Thanks for any info you can provide me!

Happy Friday! :happy:

Replies

• Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine either way. If you would prefer treadmill most people say using it at a 1% incline better simulates outdoor conditions.

I loathe my treadmill cause I get so bored (TV doesn't help). So it has to be nasty out for me to come inside.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did the entire C25K on the treadmill since I started in December, and winters in Northeast PA aren't gentle. :wink:

It's different than running outside. Some find it easier on the treadmill, but I run better outside, when my brain is focused on where I'm going. I think too much on the treadmill.
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill so I can keep on pace, use an incline and run when the weather is bad. I don't really think it matters what you use so long as you run. Some people are diehard road people and say it isn't the same etc but I don't see how it isn't. 5k is 5 k. Why not do both, if you can?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Doing it on a treadmill will certainly give you the endurance you need, but if you don't do any running outside before your 5K race, you will find it a major shock to the system. It feels very, very different and you may find you get out of breath a lot quicker as it's harder to control your pace, plus there are all sorts of ups and downs and different surfaces.

Having your treadmill on a 1% to 2% incline, or even better random low hills, will help. But when you can, do try to get the odd run outside, just to get the feel of it.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I find treadmill to be good for training initially because you can control the speed & it's a nice, even surface. However, if you're training for an actual race, you do need to get some outdoor runs in because your speed will tend to be a little slower. Starting out 100% treadmill is fine, but the closer you get to the end you should start mixing some outdoor runs in there if at all possible. My gym has an indoor track, so if yours does that's a good alternative. I had little tricks for keeping track of my lap count & stuff when I trained for my 5k. I also think the uneven terrain helps strengthen your legs a bit more than treadmill does.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I thought I loved the treadmill, then I thought I hate it and that I love outdoors - but now I realize I just have to switch it up occasionally! I think you will do great if you try both - if the weather allows it!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you have to commit to any given running surface for the duration of the program. I started out on a treadmill because it was the least embarrassing option, then abandoned it after a few weeks because it was the most boring. Along the way I ran on the gym's indoor track (good for stormy or really hot days), the local university's outdoor track (well lighted, good for evening runs), and roadside (my favorite when the weather is nice).
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You should try it both ways and see which is better for you. If your eventual goal is a 5K, you should probably be outside but treadmill training is fine in bad weather.

I personally found the treadmill harder than jogging outside. It seemed to hurt my knees more, some folks claim it hurts them less. You'll only know which you prefer if you try both.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is definitely different than running on pavement. I would recommend getting through the program on a treadmill first, and then do it again on pavement.
  • DawnCallas
    Options
    Thank you for all of the input! The connecting thread of all of the comments was to do a little of both. I plan to do 2 days on the treadmill and 1 on pavement (weather allowable). Thanks for all the help!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The less dreadmill the better!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

I agree with arc ^^^^^^ It will work if you have NO other option(set it to a 1% incline to compensate) but pavement any day, any way for me-ice being the exception
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Oh...goodness YES! I use mine maybe once a week. I avoid pavement and concrete as it is harder on the joints. I still to trails and my local greenway which is part concrete/part wood and only run on the wood surfaces (my knees can't handle hard surfaces for long). If you have to use the treadmill make sure you vary your intensity and incline. I run the '5k' program on mine so that it dips back and forth without having me have to change the controls. Have fun!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on running a race, I would get at least three outside runs in. The dreadmill is great, if that is your only option (weather, kids, life) - but being out on the road is totally different! I was an outside runner for years, took some time off with a baby, and started up in the middle of winter, on the dreadmill. Those first few outside runs were brutal, I wasn't going any farther than usual, but my legs killed!
    Nothing wrong with the dreadmill, but you also never know what the weather will be like on race day. It's always good to have ran in the rain/wind/cold/hot before race day!