9 Week Holiday Challenge (close group) wk 2

Options

Replies

• ChatSournois
    Options
    QOTD 10/7/11 Friday: Do you allow yourself to have a "cheat" meal or "cheat" day once a week, where you allow yourself to eat whatever you want? Why or why not?

I do and it's today!!..Fun Friday every week in my house. We go to the shops after I pick Oscar up from playschool and get some magazines & treats..then I usually cook a nice dinner (usually curry) and I have some wine. I still try to keep under the calorie total by doing exercise. I used to do this every week after weigh-in at Weight Watchers because it was a full week to the next weigh-in so you never noticed a gain..and I just think you need something to look forward to, no matter how small.
    X-Factor USA is on tonight so I will be chilling in my pjs very soon!
  • Gazer362
    Gazer362 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/7/11 Friday: Do you allow yourself to have a "cheat" meal or "cheat" day once a week, where you allow yourself to eat whatever you want? Why or why not?

I can't have a "cheat" meal or "cheat" day because it always leads to a binge. Unfortunately once I'm in a binge cycle it can last a very long time. So I incorporate the foods I would consider "cheat" foods into my routine eating. Sometimes eating a smaller portion of it, or if I'm lucky finding a healthier recipe or satisfactory substitute for it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I do not. I eat anything in moderation, so if I feel that I need to eat a "splurge" item that is higher in calories, I make sure to eat it on my exercise days so that I have the capacity to eat it without stressing. I am trying to make this change for life. I feel if I deprive myself that I will not be able to maintain this change for life. I eat ice cream, cookies, pasta, rice, ranch dressing, sour cream, etc. (chocolate is not on the list because I do not like it, not because I wouldn't/won't eat it because of the calories), but only when it fits in my caloric goals. If I am close to going over, I either don't eat it, or I get out and do some exercise to burn the extra calories!

This is more or less exactly me - but I also don't worry about going over as long as I'm not going over a LOT or often.

I worry about it a little bit more now since I set myself to .5lb/week (1680 calories a day, YAY!) because that is only a250 calorie deficit per day, so that isn't a lot of wiggle room, but my opinion on eating "over" your calories is this.

Any day you are not eating a SURPLUS of calories, you've done okay. So if you are set to lose 2lbs a week, you have a THOUSAND calories of wiggle room every DAY! That means per week you have 7,000 calories of built in deficit - and that's BEFORE you exercise! If you're eating a 1lb/week loss that's 3500 calories of wiggle room! if you eat 1000 calories over one day you'll STILL be set to lose weight for the week - it will just be a little slower than planned.

So many times I see my friends "eat way over" or "eat super bad" or what ever and it freaks you out and you feel so depressed.... and I really think it leads to some of the longer binging periods. You feel like you already screwed it up yesterday so whats the big deal if you screw it up again today.

Just remember - one day is never a screw up - one day is FINE (Two days are fine! three Days! ...but 10 days is a problem). My super skinny skinny friends have days they eat horribly ...its just that unlike those of us who gained weight, those friends turned around and ate super healthy for a couple days after, so it averages out over the week.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/6/11 Thursday: What is your workout routine? Do you always do the same thing? Do you mix it up? What kind of music is on your iPod (if you use one)?

I walk my dog every single morning for 20min. 99% of the time I also walk her at night for at least another 30. I am also doing 30DS, but not every day like you are supposed to, I started it like 12 days ago and am on day 7, so I do take days off when I need them or just don't have time. I also go on the elliptical some days. Really it just depends on my mood and energy level. I don't listen to music when I do any of those things.

I just eat what I want when I want in moderation of course. If I am craving something and it is really bad I will try to get my mind off of it and have something healthy, but if I just can't stop thinking about it I will eat it. I try to do a lot more working out that day so I don't go over my calories, but really it isn't the end of the world if I do sometimes go over.
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/6/11 Thursday: What is your workout routine? Do you always do the same thing? Do you mix it up? What kind of music is on your iPod (if you use one)?

I don't have a routine right now since I am just getting back into it. The past few weeks I have been walking on the treadmill at home or riding my stationary bike at home.

When I lost a lot of weight before, I was doing those things plus using my BowFlex machine 3-5 days a week. I love that machine.

All kinds of music is on my ipod. Heavy metal, rock, rap, 70's, 80's...

Lately I've been listening to the Michael Jackson station on Pandora. It makes me happy.
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I don't plan a cheat meal or a cheat day, but I usually end up having one day a week where I go over on my calories. For me, it's okay, as I can still have success and cheat once in a while. I do have to be careful though that I get right back on track or else it just turns into a week-long binge. I weigh myself every day. When I don't face the music, I end up gaining and gaining.

I wish I didn't love food so much!
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I work out with my trainer 2 to 3 times a week. In between, I try to do at least 30mis of cardio or some workout tape. Yes, I try to mix it up. I do not use my iPod. I use the music that comes with the video, and my trainer uses a mix of up tempo songs from his iPod.

If, I am not trying to be really strict for a purpose, then yes I may cheat. I can't say its once a week, it's not planned. Some days, I just dont feel like dieting. But, when I cheat or steer of my diet it's nothing big that I cannot recover from. I am am trying to get to the point were I am not dieting, but eating ever day foods. But, in smaller portions. (:
  • 6eighteen11
    Options
    QOTD 10/8/11 Saturday: Is there any speific body part you're looking forward to "re-discovering" or discovering for the first time as you reach your weight loss goals?

For me, it's my back! I used to have a long lean back with a nice feminne curve, but with my weight gain it looks stumpy and flabby. I can't wait to wear tight shirts again without having to worry about how short my torso looks from behind.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Is there any speific body part you're looking forward to "re-discovering" or discovering for the first time as you reach your weight loss goals?

It's my booty and my waistline. I want that hourglass figure.
  • prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/8/11 Saturday: Is there any speific body part you're looking forward to "re-discovering" or discovering for the first time as you reach your weight loss goals?

My arms!!!! I've always felt that my arms were big and manly-looking. So I am really really looking forward to discovering nicely toned feminine arms!!! :D
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options

I would love to have a flat stomach again without the jelly belly! And when I wave my arms I would rather NOT wave twice if ya know what I mean!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Shoulders that don't look like a linebacker's.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Oh yeah...my arms have turned into fat bat wings. Especially since I turn 30. Ugh!!! Plus it would be nice to see the beauty mark near my belly button again. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Yep it got lost in the folds:sad:
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Although when I lose weight my arms a super flabby (cause you really can only tone so much) my upper arms. I like a little defined muscle there.
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I would have to say my focus right now arer my arms, I would like to see them slimmer. I have always had big arms, Not very lady like. when your arms are bigger than your mans ):
  • mariahhatfield
    Options
    Ladies, I am very sorry about the delay. My days are beginning to run together.

Usually I like to do cardio and strength training every day that I work out. I switch the days for areas of my body (for example, right now Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are legs, and Tuesdays and Thursdays are arms and abs). I also like to switch up the type of cardio. Even though I am not a runner at all, sometimes I switch back and forth from the stationary bike to the elliptical. If I end up doing the elliptical (like usual), I like to switch up the intensity. I guess it’s so I feel like my body doesn’t get used to doing the same thing all the time. I usually listen to/watch a tv show while I do cardio since there’s a tv on the machine. While I lift, I enjoy listening to fast-paced “pump up” music that keeps me motivated.

I do have a cheat meal once a week. It helps me stay in control for the rest of my meals for the week because I don’t have as many cravings.

I would love to see my legs toned. My legs have always been the biggest part of me, and with my somewhat small waist (relative to the rest of my body), I would love to see my legs be more proportioned with my upper half and look nice when I wear heels.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Well I already found my wristbones, my ribs, and my hipbones - thinner waist would be next?
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options

I love this question. I remember after losing the first 100 pounds, I could feel my Xyphoid process (sp?) it protruded out and I thought I had a growth or something. I just had never felt it before. Felt really stupid at the doctors when she said, your just feeling something you haven't felt for a while!

now, I am looking forward to seeing a bit of rib cage! not too much cause thats too skinny, but a little would be nice.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I don't know how to say this without turning bright red, but I miss being able to see my "womanhood" without having to move my belly out of the way. I can not wait to be able to groom myself comfortably.... ~BLUSHING BRIGHT RED~
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Bless your soul mrivera713. I wanted to say the same darn thing. Girl you just said what most of us didn't have the guts to!