How would you log this?

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
I do go to jazzercise but I have a question about how I should log it.
The class is a total of 1 hour with about 10-15 minutes of stretching and strength exercises. The other 45 minutes are cardio. While I do the entire class, I don't do it to the extent that some of the others in the class do, for instance, I can't do the jumping part so I march in place or just barely lift my heals, depending on how tired I am. Basically, I do low impact on most of the routines. I plan to rev it up once I lose some weight but right now I just CAN'T do high impact. So when I go to log in my exercise for the day I should I show 60 mins in jazzercise or should I lower it since I do the low impact version. I don't want to give myself too many extra calories, espeically when I don't feel like I have earned them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Memaw

Replies

• memaw66
    Options
    I do go to jazzercise but I have a question about how I should log it.
    The class is a total of 1 hour with about 10-15 minutes of stretching and strength exercises. The other 45 minutes are cardio. While I do the entire class, I don't do it to the extent that some of the others in the class do, for instance, I can't do the jumping part so I march in place or just barely lift my heals, depending on how tired I am. Basically, I do low impact on most of the routines. I plan to rev it up once I lose some weight but right now I just CAN'T do high impact. So when I go to log in my exercise for the day I should I show 60 mins in jazzercise or should I lower it since I do the low impact version. I don't want to give myself too many extra calories, espeically when I don't feel like I have earned them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Memaw
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My aerobics instructor has told me that people who are overweight actually burn more calories during a cardio workout, so even if you are not able to do everything that the others are doing, you may still be burning close to the same amount as they are. I take a step aerobics class, and I know I feel like I am about to die through half of it, and I'm not able to do it as well as others. However, my instructor said I am probably burning as much or more than someone at their ideal weight. She said it's the only good thing about being somewhat overweight.
  • memaw66
    Options
    My aerobics instructor has told me that people who are overweight actually burn more calories during a cardio workout, so even if you are not able to do everything that the others are doing, you may still be burning close to the same amount as they are. I take a step aerobics class, and I know I feel like I am about to die through half of it, and I'm not able to do it as well as others. However, my instructor said I am probably burning as much or more than someone at their ideal weight. She said it's the only good thing about being somewhat overweight.
    So do you think I should log it as 60 minutes or 45 minutes? Since 15 of it is stretching/strength training? Thank you.
  • mstanley
    Options
    You could log it in as two separate things. I was doing that for awhile until my instructor figured up how many calories we were burning for the entire class. Log it in as 45 minutes cardio, and then log in 15 minutes as mild stretching all under your cardio section in exercise. Once you get your heart rate up with the cardio, you will continue to burn calories with the stretching.
  • mstanley
    Options
    Thanks for adding me. It looks like our goals are pretty close too.
  • memaw66
    Options
    Thanks. I changed it. I hope I don't end up eating too many calories. I'll try this for a couple of weeks (providing I can behave on the weekends) and see how my progress goes. Thanks for the tips.
  • mstanley
    Options
    You're welcome. Good luck with it.