Braiding my own hair

Options
Working out with a ponytail is driving me nuts. I'm trying to learn to braid my own hair, but the results have been rather comical.

Any tips or tricks on making a tight, neat braid? (Besides "practice, practice, practice"?)

If it matters, I have fine, straight hair; bra-strap length.

Replies

• iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - mine keeps wacking me in the face during plyo or getting caught in my bike helmet...I was about 30 seconds away from calling my hairdresser today to chop it all off! My suggestion for you = youtube....that's where I learned all my hair/make up tricks :)
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    If you look at my pics I braid my sons hair I would try braid under instead of over for finer hair. You may need to use a product and unfortunately practice helps. You may need to brush the parts after you cross them depending on how fine it is.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My hair is the same.....When I first learned to braid I would lay on my bed head hanging over and do it....It helped me.....
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    have you tried looking it up on youtube? I know how to braid (basic braid) but I don't know how to French Braid so I looked it up on Youtube and sort of learned. All I can tell you is separate your hair into three separate sections and take times crossing the hair pieces. It's hard for me to put into words. Just find a how to video on youtube.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Put it into little piggie tales, with one braid down each side. It makes for smaller braids, I think its also easier to braid wet hair... Unfortunately, it does take practice!! :)
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What about a bun? My hair is so fine that it falls right out of braids, so I bun it.
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    Kind of hard to explain technique of how you hold your hands, etc. without being there to show you. :-T Sorry, chica - not something that can be explained through typing. I would recommend trying to look up a video about it on youtube or something.

But I can say that (especially with fine hair) it helps if your hair is slightly damp.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Practice is definitely part of it. I think of it as mainly learning hand positions; if you know where to put your hands, the braiding is pretty easy.

My most common styles are all variations on a standard English (three-strand overhand) braid. I start by combing my hair out and back as if I'm going to gather it into a ponytail. Then I divide it into three segments. At this point my hands are behind my head with the pinkies toward the top, thumbs pointing down toward the ground. Then I start the braid by crossing the right strand over the center. I braid down half a dozen times or so and then pull the whole thing over my left shoulder and continue braiding to the end. When the braid is in front of me my hands are reversed, pinkies down and thumbs up.

Not sure if any of that will make sense without pictures. Feel free to message me if you have any particular questions. I'd be happy to try and help.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My hair is fine and thin and I used to French braid it, so I would suggest rubbing some sort of gel in it and braiding it while it's damp. Hope this helps.
  • bekihughes
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser... I braid my own hair and alot of others.... Try braiding it wet OR with some product in it so it sticks a little. You will get it!
  • meganbrook12
    Options
    What's actually easier than a braid is just a bun. Put your hair in a relatively high pony tail and twist it. Then wrap it around and secure it with an elastic. It's not quite as glamorous as a braid, but it gets the job done.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great tips, but it looks like practice is the only true way to go. I figured as much, but one can hope, right?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Agree - do it wet or with some gel (or both) while you're still learning. Apply hairspray on it while it's still neat to help keep it from falling out if your hair is really fine.

One thing you might try until you get the braiding down is to do a series of 4-5 hair ties instead of the braid. If you use different colors it's even kind of cute.
  • ryanfeltz
    ryanfeltz Posts: 126
    Options
    strangely i learned how to french braid from a newspaper article on myself. you tube wasnt around then ;) but i bet they would have something now
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Braiding really does just take practice. I put my hair in a bun most days though. Faster, easier, and is as effective. I use a hair clip to fasten it though. Love those things!
  • saugustin07
    saugustin07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Youtube and bobby pins! I learn so much. By seeing someone else do it makes it so much easier learn!
  • SHERRYnGA
    SHERRYnGA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I JUST FLIP MY HAIR OVER & BRAID IT.... YOU CAN ALSO PUT YOUR HAIR IN A PONY TAIL HOLDER... DIVIDE IT & FLIP IT OVER THEN (UNDER - THROUGH THE PONY TAIL HOLDER) ... KEEPS YOUR HAIR PRETTY CLOSE TO YOUR NECK!) ;)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I put my hair in a pony tale, but when I'm wrapping the hair tie around for the last time I done pull the hair all the way through so it's looped up like a lazy bun. Easy. Fast.
  • SHERRYnGA
    SHERRYnGA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeEorJRqx6M&amp;feature=related (I've alwayz done one flip but this is cool too!) <3
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I would give anything to be able to french braid my own hair. I'm hopeless!