HRM w/ Calorie Counter

Options
Hi everyone!

I was thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter. I've never done something like this before so I really don't know what i'm looking for. Do I want the kind, apparently that has tabs that you stick onto your skin under your shirt or the kind that makes you touch a button on the watch itself and hold for a few seconds? Also, (and the real reason why I want it) is the calorie counter pretty accurate on them?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I was thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter. I've never done something like this before so I really don't know what i'm looking for. Do I want the kind, apparently that has tabs that you stick onto your skin under your shirt or the kind that makes you touch a button on the watch itself and hold for a few seconds? Also, (and the real reason why I want it) is the calorie counter pretty accurate on them?

Hun Tabs under your shirt? .. no...They have a chest strap you put just under your breast line. I bought mine from Target for $70.00 with chest strap, it's a new balance n4 and it has been good to me.
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! It has a chest strap. I LOVE mine!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I understand that the ones with chest straps that stay on you the whole workout are the most accurate. I kept seeing recommendations on here for Polar and especially the Polar FT4. I got one about a month ago and I love it. The calorie count is MUCH lower than on the machines I was using but probably way more accurate since it measures my heart rate the entire time and knows my gender, height, weight, age etc, rather than using averages. the chest strap is machine washable and I have had no issues. I got it on Amazon and it was a reasonable price - I think about $80. There are lots of Polar models though and some may be more or less expensive.
  • himiller3
    Options
    I have a New Balance w/ the chest strap, it keeps a constant reading.. No button pushing.
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and I love it too!! I got my at Target for around $70, comes with chest strap :)
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 with chest strap. I LOVE mine!
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Chest strap! I have the Polar F4 as well, and love it! I have a friend that bought one that you had to hold to get a reading, and she ended up taking it back.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 = LOVE! Greatest purchase ever!
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mallie233
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I was thinking the models with the button didn't sound like much fun. Glad to see that the (strap lol) kind is pretty well liked!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Check Big 5. I just bought a Bowflex for 30 bucks on clearance. reg 109.00. It is awesome. They make them with straps designed for women, so you may want to look in to that.