Question to the big losers (in a good way!)

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
I have seen some pretty BIG differences in the stories here and it's amazing. All props from me.

Question: Have you noticed any difference in how people treat you? ie... people striking up conversations, general assumptions when you were big vs now, people friendlier, meaner, etc. etc. etc?

I've only lost about 10 lbs (I'm here to try to lose another 5-10 lbs) so there won't be a big difference in me. So I'm interesting in reading about people's experiences.

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    My family and friends are the same. But they all comment on it a lot.
    Strangers, I see a difference in how men react to me.
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have the major weight loss, yet. But, I'm very interesting in reading the responses. :-)
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Jeff not only are people friendlier say at work and neighbors... But I think I smile more and that make me more approachable!

Also. Guys stopped looking at me a few years ago.. now they give me a friendly smile. I'm married so that really doesnt mean much

Except it is an ego boost!

Going to see some friends I havent seen in over a year.. I'll see what theyre reaction is tonight :tongue:

Get leaner and people , like you, love you, are nicer to you , and treat you better (some even show you manners)! Life is GOOD! :heart:
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OH yes! People are more likely to talk with you when you are thinner vs me being almost 100 pounds heavier. Also what I really notice is how much more seriously you are taking and consideration you are given at Job interviews! It kinda sad, I am just as good an employee at 300 pounds as I am at 200 pounds! Oh well what you gonna do!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm right at 80 pounds lost total and have definitely noticed some differences. Though I honestly attribute a fair amount of it to how I carry myself now rather than just how I look now. I'm much more open and more likely to smile, therefore people find me more approachable.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    OH yes! People are more likely to talk with you when you are thinner vs me being almost 100 pounds heavier. Also what I really notice is how much more seriously you are taking and consideration you are given at Job interviews! It kinda sad, I am just as good an employee at 300 pounds as I am at 200 pounds! Oh well what you gonna do!

The truth is what it is I guess. Dude that avatar pic is the best.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options

Ok, so I have always had the "talk to me" look. When my BFF and I worked together we used to laugh because she would say "How are you" and get Ok, good or fine" But when I asked I got a life story, it baffled me! I wanted to say, hey I don't care I just have to ask hahaha
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well, I weighed 240, then lost 91lbs and weighed 149, and then slowly over the last 6 years I have gained.... a lot! 277 now, was up to 307.

I definately notice a change in how people behave around me. When I was skinny I could "hang" with the guys and they liked to joke with me more. Now they don't really talk to me as much (Husband's work buddies mostly). People would offer to help me more, people stopped cars for me at cross-walks, I got invited out to social events more often, strangers would approach me more. I feel angrier as a heavy person this time, because last time, I didn't know that people were treating me different, I just thought thats how it was.

In all honesty though, I can't say I don't judge others for gaining lots of weight. It's sad really. I would like to be a non-judgemental person, but I think its just my own insecurities setting it, and trying to make myself feel better.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Wow. Great post. Good luck with your goals. Can you share why you gradualy gained again?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely. I even posted a thread here about it called "I'm not invisible anymore". I noticed it once I hit 20 lbs lost. I am a friendly, outgoing person so I didn't even really notice it until I realized how many people would actually take the time to sit and talk to me rather than rushing through the niceties so they could move on to someone less unattractive.
  • QueenCat25
    Options
    I lost 60lbs pounds when I was 17. There was definitely a difference in how people reacted to me. People were more friendly. Guys hitting on me left and right. It was awesome...

Now that I've gained it back...not so awesome.
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some difference, but I think mostly it is coming from their reaction to my attitude. I am clearly owning my body and am more confident, so I have been more open to strangers striking up conversations and such.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great post. Good luck with your goals. Can you share why you gradualy gained again?

Well, I moved out of the city and back to my home-town where I used driving for transportation instead of public transportation, and then I met my husband. We had more expendable income and ended up going out to eat a lot... from there is snowballed. I don't know why I lost the motivation. I think I felt bad about gaining weight, and then ate to make myself feel better? I also had a lot of issues to work through, and for a time I felt like eating was "getting back" at my husband... for going out to play poker... Um yeah some serious trust issues. Now that we have worked through (or I have dealt with) those issues, I think I may be ready to get back to healthy living and not use it to manage my emotions.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I eat chips when I'm stressed. I can go though a Costco sized chip bag in about 3 days. Probably what? 5,000 calories? eek!
  • katieruns
    Options
    I feel a lot of it does have to do with the way you feel about yourself too. I am not saying that people don't treat you differently, because some do, but it seems to me that if you hold your head high, meet people in the eye, smile big, and love who you are regardless of what weight you are, that you will have greater success in those types of situations.

I have a lot to lose and it took me a long time to step out of being the shy (much much thinner) kid in high school that nobody liked. Now I love people and I love me and I can tell that people can see that in me. I very rarely feel like people look or treat me weird or ugly.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    People I'd never spoken to at work started asking me about my weight loss - wanting to know what the magic trick was to losing.
    When I told them it was exercise and calorie counting - they didn't want to hear it and I could see they were disappointed.

I firmly believe people treat overweight individuals poorly - no matter how confident you are, or successful - if they can't see past your weight, they cannot see you as a valuable person.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    I've lost 66 of 147lbs and have noticed a huge change as well, but truely believe 95% of past interactions were based on self confidence. My self confidence was low therefore I did not feel comfortable interacting. If I was uncomfortable I'm sure the other person was too. While I believe there is a small percentage of individuals who judge heavy people, the majority of interaction problems are about one's self confidence.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I did not think about our own behavioral differences when I made this thread. Good points people.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yeah- i went from hardly noticed to (people percieving me) as interesting and unique.
    It's was weird, because my personality and interests hadn't changed at all.....
    Guess it just gave me more confidence to meet a broad spectrum of people
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!