Working a 9-5 Desk Job...

Options
tkn11
tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
I am an active person, and I worked a 9-5 sitting at a desk all day and it kills me!! Any suggestions on how to incorporate some type of activity during the day? I walk around as much as I can, and we have stairs, so I go up and down those a few times a day....but overall, I'm just sitting here most of the time, and i hate it!

Replies

• HeartLunger
    Options
    We're in the same position. I get up and do stretches every so often and desk pushups. Also, I bounce my legs as much as I can while sitting at the desk. I've read this alone can burn up to 500 calories. Good luck!
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This will probably be suggested many times but hopefully I'll be the first. Replace your desk chair with an inflatable balancing ball.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I speed walk for at least 40 min on my lunch plus the 8+ glasses of water while at work and frequent washroom trips probably help ;)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/
    Here’s a sample day:

■Wake up, do 40 jumping jacks to warm up, and then do body weight squats.
    ■At lunch, you grab your suitcase and do bent over rows.
    ■After work, you do another 50 jumping jacks and then do your push ups.
    ■After dinner, you do your planks while watching TV.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you have access to stairs instead of an elevator, take them. Get up and walk around occasionally. The previously posted links are really good too! It IS possible! I work a desk job too ;)
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm with you. Sometimes, I try to hit some squats when I go to the restroom. There is also an empty office in my building that I go in sometimes and do some crunches, planks, push ups etc. What I have thought about doing is getting a stability ball and sitting on that instead of sitting on a desk chair. I'd like to see what others have to share but I hope I helped, even if only a little :)
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    This will probably be suggested many times but hopefully I'll be the first. Replace your desk chair with an inflatable balancing ball.

I like this suggestion! It could even help getting rid of my back problems by working out abs and back muscles... Nice!
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Have you ever thought of bringing some workout clothes to work and going for a run or going to the gym over your lunchbreak. It always lights me up and the adrenaline gets me through the rest of the workday without getting tired.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need www.nerdfitness.com. There's some interesting articles/blogs there about staying active in the office.

I'm in the same boat. I try to do at least one active/outdoors thing every weekend. I've started playing badminton every Saturday but I need an activity for the middle of the week to keep it interesting.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and there's a company that sells ergonomically correct furniture that allows you to stand (thus burning more calories and helping your back) and do your work. Check it out if you like, I've used it and it is really nice.

http://www.ergotron.com/WorkFit/tabid/65/language/en-US/Default.aspx?PRDID=511
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just be glad that you get 8 hours a day for your body to recover and get ready for your next workout.

as long as you're getting up and stretching/walking a bit, you're fine.
    don't feel like you have to be active constantly.
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    SAME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:huh:
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    Have you ever thought of bringing some workout clothes to work and going for a run or going to the gym over your lunchbreak. It always lights me up and the adrenaline gets me through the rest of the workday without getting tired.

I agree. I workout on my lunch break practically everyday and I love it. I have the luxury of having a gym in walking distance from my job though. (Literally half a block). I highly recommend doing so if you can. Helps me get through the second half of my day which is usually the hardest to get through.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the replies! The idea to bring a stability ball to work is a great idea, I have one at home, so I will probably bring that in next week. and I really should take advantage of my lunchbreak. I do get a whole hour, so there's a lot I could do. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I work a 9-2pm desk job and I just wait until I get home. I want to relax but my weight takes precedence over my relaxing and having fun. Just try to incorporate working out either before or after work. Eat healthy and you should be fine.
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm really lucky in that I live just over a mile from work. I ride my bike or walk almost every day. If I happen to drive, I workout in the evenings :-)