Wine anyone?

Options
mynameiscarrie
mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
Sooooo I turned 21 about 6 months ago. I grew up in Napa Valley but we moved to Atlanta when I was 15 so I never got to really drink a lot of wine. My parents drink it all the time. My dad had taught me what to look for in a wine. The problem?

There are so many wines I dont even know where to start looking!

I've been trying different Moscato brands and so far my favorite is Castello del Poggio's Moscato di'asti.
I want to try out other types of wine other than Moscato but I don't know where to start and what brand to get since they're all so different!

So my question... what is your favorite (and reasonably priced---like 20$ a bottle max) wine?

:)

Replies

• somerreese
    Options
    Do you only like sweeter wines?
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options
    Do you only like sweeter wines?

i like sweet but i'm really open to try anything...
  • tonitiger26
    tonitiger26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Moscato is my favorite too :). I love the belle bolle...it's in a blue bottle. Sangria is pretty good....it's red kind of fruity. Also I have had a red Moscato before and that is really good but it is hard to find. I like blushes and whites...I'm not really a red warm cabernet kind of wine girl. By the way your pics are awesome! You look great..I'm trying to lose another 15 lbs but am having a hard time...what is your diet plan?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Castle Rock Vinyards, Pinot Noir is a favorite at every party I serve it at. People ask what it is and write the name down.
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really like Yellow Tail Reserve 2004. There is also a Utah Wine from Moab Utah that is by Spanish Valley Wineries that is a Cheery wine. I swear it tastes like cherry pie. Since it is local to me I am all about supporting my local. You should look into seeing if there are any Wineries near you and go for a taste test. I have been to a few and always learn something new about wine when I go.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    A lot of the larger liquor stores will have wine tasting nights. That way you can see if you prefer sweets or drys and/or reds and whites.

Also, when you go out to eat, ask the waiter what they reccommend you try with whatever dish you order. :smile:

Wine tasting/collecting is fun! :drinker:
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    San Antonio American Cardinale is a sweet red wine that is delicious!

I also love pretty much any White Zin.

Spumante (I know it's not technically wine) is a bit sweet and super yummy.
  • somerreese
    Options
    J Lohr has some great wines that are priced resaonably - their chardonnay is really nice.
  • somerreese
    Options
    When I was new to wine I only liked sweet wines and have graduated to loving it all - but one of my favorites from the old days is Moscato Allegro - it's a sweet one & if I remember correctly under $20
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Moscato is a desert style wine. Are you focusing only on those or are you looking to expand your rack? OK, Wine Rack, for those that will ruin what I said...

A Fantastic Italian White - Pinto Grigio....Ca' Montini
    If your easing into the red...a good Zin is Poizin from Armida (Russian River)
    DeLoach makes some solid wines as well. Their Cab Sav is wonderful for the money.

If anyone says La Creme'...I pity their pallet.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The best way to expand your pallet...find a GOOD wine Shop. Not a store. Talk with the owner, let them know your back ground and what you like to eat and how you like to enjoy your wine. From there, ask, taste...Cheers!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    speaking of Napa... hubby and I just went on 10/3 for wine tasting for the first time and it was a blast. We live closer to Lodi and have never gone there either. I love wine and i have to say that sweet wines are my favorite. I like Franciscan Port wine very yummy... I also like sutter home Moscato and Fox Brook sweet red wine( dont drink this chilled.. best at room temp)
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    what about white wines anyone??? I am hosting a housewarming party and want to serve a white wine. Not much of a white wine drinker so not quite sure what to buy. Looking to spend as little as possible for the white stuff!!!!!!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I like dry...I'll drink any red but cabernet is my favorite
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you like sweet white wines, try Pacific Rim Sweet Riesling (available for like $8-10/bottle at Cost Plus World Market and probably elsewhere). Rieslings and pinot grigios are, in general, good options for sweeter whites, and you can definitely find decent bottles these days for under $20 (especially if you're just starting out tasting - you can splurge on the pricier stuff once you really know what you like).

For red, I second the Castle Rock Pinot Noir, or any other pinot noir that is described as being smooth and chocolate- or coffee-like (yum). If you like fruitier or bolder, try a malbec or cabernet sauvignon (both typically dry but very flavorful reds). If you have a World Market near you, they usually tell you how many points the wine has scored, and anything above 87-88 is usually very good quality (above 90 is excellent). And they have a LOT of wines under $20.

I'd recommend finding somewhere that does wine tastings near you, too - a lot of times you can try 6-8 wines for under $10, and then buy bottles of the ones you like :smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    what about white wines anyone??? I am hosting a housewarming party and want to serve a white wine. Not much of a white wine drinker so not quite sure what to buy. Looking to spend as little as possible for the white stuff!!!!!!!!

I prefer whites when I'm not eating a meal with it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Crios de Susanna Balbo Torrontes is under $15 and is a nice, versatile, full-bodied white wine from Argentina. Torrontes is the type of grape. Your friends will be impressed with your wine acumen.
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options
    you area all fantastic! thanks so much! i'm wanting to see what all i do like so when i go home to my parents house this weekend (i live away at college) i'll raid their wine cabinet and have a tasting lol my parents drink a lot of port i think. I tried one once and it was ok, but i was like 13 at the time so my palette is probably a bit different now lol I remember my dad saying "so what kind of bark do you taste? is it a little oak-y?" i was like "dad, it tastes like wine i dont know if it tastes oak-y" lmao

thanks to all!
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Moscato is my favorite. MMM wine, yes please!
    Pinot Grigio is a good white wine and you can usually find it pretty inexpensive. I've never been a wine snob though so take it with a grain of salt. Give me a box of wine and a dixie cup and I'm set for the weekend!
  • fatnomore59
    Options
    Bella Bolle "Sweet Red" is VERY VERY good.