How much did you lose on your first week?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have no idea because I didn't weigh myself for the first couple weeks.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost 4lbs in my first week. I haven't lost that much in one week since then though :)
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs my first week. Most of it was water weight though. :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I checked my history and apparently I didn't weigh myself until 2 weeks later. I lost 10 in those 2 weeks and that was without exercise.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    i lost 1 kg on my first week.. lol
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My first several weeks, I gained weight, but i assume it was water retention from the lifting.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, I didn't lose any the first couple of months, then I lost 4lb in a week.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If your a first time dieter/exercise than you will lose a significant amount of weight the first week. But most of it will be water weight that will be lost. After that, it will slowly dwindle unless you become familiar with calorie deficit, consumption, and exercise. Than you can continue to efficiently increase weight/fat loss.

For me I lost a 1-2lbs in a week the very first time like 10 years ago, lol. Now a days, with increasing knowledge I obtain. I look at weight loss as a long term goal rather than short term. But I can still achieve my goal in a short period of time as well too.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you need to lose, and how high you have your calories set. I have mine set to lose 1/2 lb a week. If you don't think you're losing much I'd try watching your carbs. You may need to go in and manually set your carb/fat/protein intake because I think MFP sets it too high. I have mine at 30% carbs, 40% protein 30% fat. Going over protein is fine but I'd watch the fat, calories and even sodium.
  • lambdafu
    lambdafu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to eat 3500 calories less than you burn for every pound of fat you want to lose. This can only be done over time. The reverse is also true, you need to eat 3500 calories more than you burn to gain a pound of fat.

If you look at the daily calories you require, you can see that it is impossible to lose 9 pounds of fat in a single week, or similar results. Such large losses in weight will mostly be a loss of water and solids from the bowel, and only a little bit of fat (maybe 1-2 pounds).

The good news is that if you should see a sudden increase of 6 pounds overnight or over a couple of days, you can be absolutely certain that this is not fat either. Body fat changes just can not happen so quickly.

Since I started 14 days ago, my weight has gone from 80.5 kg down to 77.8 kg and back up to 80 kg and is now at 78.5 kg. If you were to ask me how much I lost in body fat, I'd say maybe 2-3 pounds, but it is impossible to tell. You need to look at a longer time span to average out the normal fluctuations.

But I know that I ate less calories than I burned, that I am eating healthier overall, and that I am exercising more. So I know that if I keep doing that, then I will lose the body fat and I will get healthier and stronger, irregardless of what the scale tells me at any given day.
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    I think it depends what your body is used to consuming and what you are giving up and whether you have been a yoyo dieter or a first time dieter. I lost 2 pound this week (1st week) I would have liked to lose more but I'll take what I can get as long as it's downwards!! Good luck with your weight loss
  • Norton1971
    Norton1971 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I lost 11 lbs in my first week but I did have 6 1/2 stone to loose and I get a lot of water retention. But I am averaging out at 3 lbs a week at the moment. A friend of mine has 1 1/2 stone to loose and she is only loosing 1/2 - 1 lb a week even on her first week so it really depends. Keep going.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I lost 4, and you can tell by my ticker I haven't lost anymore. I've been at it steady for over 3 weeks now, BUT---I went on a girls weekend and might have had a bit too much to drink, 3 nights in a row. :bigsmile:
  • Dancergrrl87
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in my first week, but my body acts weird. I've done nothing besides change my eating habits and cut calories to the 1,200 minimum and I've lost 22 pounds in a month and a half.
  • mai_ngo216
    mai_ngo216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs my first week. My goal is to lose 1lb a week. Although, I signed up more than a year ago, I just started using MFP for about a month now. Don't give up!
  • janac777
    janac777 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i lost 1 my first week and 1 my second week.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I gained five pounds my first week! I know it has to be water, because I am eating according to guidelines and I work out six days a week for 60-90 minutes. My body is just pissed right now, but it will get over it! I am 11 days in and down to only two pounds more than I started. I am hoping it is going to continue going down and I will actually lose some.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I lost one pound my first week which is my goal. Mine differs from week to week. I think everyone does. Don't be disappointed no matter what the results. I have read where some people actually gain the first week. Like you say, everyone is different. Just keep trying and it will work for you. Good Luck
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    i have a lot too lose, because i know i am overweight, so no matter what it is, as along is it goes down, then i'm happy :D once i get closer to my goal weight, as long as i'm sticking to my exercise and healthy eating, then i'll be more relaxed :)
  • krissykross
    Options
    3 pounds.